• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's the most important factor in a religion?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
To expound on my first comment, looking into the Bible. It gives us some really easy markers to see what true religion looks like. In fact there are 5 major points found in the Bible. The true religion meets all the requirements. No other religion on earth meets even one.

(Mods, whenever I quote the following scripture I get it deleted and warning points. It is just as good as the rest of the Bible. And it is answering the OP.)

1. The true religion would use Jehovah's name and proclaim it to the people:

For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” 14 However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him? How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach? 15 How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent out? Just as it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!”
-Romans 10:13-15.

Which religion not only uses God's name Jehovah, but proclaims it to the people? This is a mark of the true religion according to the Bible.

2. Base all their teachings on God's word the Bible, and not on man-made traditions and doctrine
s. -2 Timothy 3:15, 16. There are many religions that claim to follow the God of the Bible but how many of them have doctrines and follow traditions that are not found in the Bible or that the Bible out right condemns?

3. Remain neutral to the political affairs and wars and national conflicts of the world. Jesus said about his followers:

(John 17:14-16)  I have given your word to them, but the world has hated them, because they are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world. 15 “I do not request that you take them out of the world, but that you watch over them because of the wicked one. 16 They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.

Which religion as an organization earth-wide are no part of the world. Have returned the sword to its place and learn war no more? Who do not participate in wars, or in politics to the nations? This is a marker of the true religion.

4. Have true love among themselves. Jesus plainly said that his followers would be evident by this fact:

(John 13:35) By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves.”

It is a very short statement but a very powerful one. Which religion practices true love among its believers? Who refuse to go to war so they do not kill their brothers in other lands? Who have gotten rid of racial, national, and ethnic prejudices and hatreds? Who as a Christian organization earth-wide are united by love?! This is most key factor in all of these.

Others can argue dogma and false teachings all they want, but they still don't have the true love among themselves as the true Christian congregation does.

5. Preach the good news about the kingdom.

What is the good news? What is the kingdom? Who is preaching it to the people? This goes hand-in-hand with the first point as well. -Matthew 24:14, 28:19, 20.

5 simple key points the Bible points to who really practices the true religion. And only 1 religion meets all the requirements. No other religion qualifies with even 1. There isn't even really a question of who has the truth. And it is very evident to everyone that would study or investigate.
Interesting how you do not even mention the biggest glaring assumption...
That Christianity is the "one true religion"

Thief

Rogue Theologian
How do you know a religion is right?
none are

so I don't have one

no creed
no litany of prayer
no beads for your hand
no rug for your knee
no cap for your head
no ceremony or ritual

so......go do what you think your God......
wants you to do

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
How do you know a religion is right?
If a religion makes claims that are provably false, then it is not right in these claims. Perhaps there is no good reason to accept anything they say in this case.

Psalm23

Truth for without truth you have comfort in vain.

Love and belonging: Meaning not striving to earn divine love or favor but knowing you belong.

Hope of eternal life

MNoBody

How do you know a religion is right? Is it based on theology, on doctrine, or on the culture, the community, what is the most important factor?

For example, I think a lot of things are right about Catholicism I guess theologically. But I've also seen depictions of Protestant communities in documentaries and things which made it seem like they have a very close and socially active community, having many church events and groups, doing things to invest in and strengthen the community, being interested and involved in one another's lives, helping each other. The Catholic communities I've witnessed didn't seem quite so close-knit, and a strong community seems like an important thing. Is it only possible because Protestants are able to pick between numerous denominations and so can have more unified beliefs within their church?

What is the most important factor in picking a religion? You can research the doctrine of various religions, but how do you know what the culture and community of those religions is like? Does culture not matter in the decision, should it be only about beliefs? What happens if you do pick a religion based on community but don't agree theologically? Or if you agree with the doctrine of your religion but the culture leaves you socially and spiritually unfulfilled?
dopamine payoff would be the only criteria worth assessing, since it is the only thing that motivates anyone

rational experiences

Veteran Member
The ability to be a self who can think for self and ask questions and be allowed to challenge information, seeing only equal other selves own the quotes of themes and stories and information.

Otherwise you are informed it is just coercion.