• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's the difference between the different denomination of christian churches?

FreewillDreamer

Interesting thread.

I can't be as specific, but here is my (over)view: They are each led by different masters.

I'm also not familiar with the Seventh-day Adventists though, who sound quite intriguing and liberally minded :D.

Last edited:

kloth

Interesting thread.

I can't be as specific, but here is my (over)view: They are each led by different masters.

I'm also not familiar with the Seventh-day Adventists though, who sound quite intriguing and liberally minded :D.

thanks, FreewillDreamer. but i guess the thanks really belongs to the people who have contributed to it with information, that's probably what you meant.

what are masters? i never heard that term before for a church, as far as i can remember.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
From my own perspective- here is a rather superficial answer: People can read the same things and yet get something different from it. When one person interprets it in a certain and another one disagrees with that interpretation, they sometimes start their own branch of this. Baptism is an example- Some like the full immersion while others think that sprinkling is just as good and adequate, while a third group will say all that is needed is "spiritual baptism". I guess those disagreements were enough for faiths to split into different denominations.

kloth

From my own perspective- here is a rather superficial answer: People can read the same things and yet get something different from it. When one person interprets it in a certain and another one disagrees with that interpretation, they sometimes start their own branch of this. Baptism is an example- Some like the full immersion while others think that sprinkling is just as good and adequate, while a third group will say all that is needed is "spiritual baptism". I guess those disagreements were enough for faiths to split into different denominations.

I'm guessing there is a basic difference that is common knowledge for those who follow the christian faith, unless maybe they have always gone to non denominational churches.
i guess this because they have a denomination to begin with for some reason.
as far as the detail of why they have a denomination, that might run into debate. but i don't want a full detail, just the basics like what's the difference between a christian church and a catholic church, or a Lutheran church let's say.
if that makes sense what i said. it's all confusing to me but getting more clear.

NoraSariah

From my experience when I was church shopping before finding the LDS faith, all Christian churches believe in God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. It varies more when it comes to practice, such as hymns, creeds, Heaven, Hell, and whether or not we are pre-destined.

kloth

From my experience when I was church shopping before finding the LDS faith, all Christian churches believe in God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. It varies more when it comes to practice, such as hymns, creeds, Heaven, Hell, and whether or not we are pre-destined.

was there a produce section in all that shopping?
i don't mean no disrespect. just trying to your frown around...or something like that.

seriously though, why go shopping for a church? shouldn't you wait for a sign? to tell you what to do in case you make the wrong choice?

Question_love_act

Humanist... "Animalist"?
And there is those who pretend they know the teachings of Jesus Christ and those who don't (actually, this sentence is more to distinguish believers than denominations themselves).

kloth

And there is those who pretend they know the teachings of Jesus Christ and those who don't (actually, this sentence is more to distinguish believers than denominations themselves).
how do we know who really does?
i don't mean people who have parts memorized but people who understand the interpretation properly.

kloth

Just trying to help you with your question. Life styles would seem to have much to do with it as well.
i understand that and i appreciate it. i assume nobody has the same exact life style because we all don't come from the exact same moment by moment life experiences.
but if what you found works for you making you a better person then more power to you is what i believe.
thanks

Question_love_act

Humanist... "Animalist"?
how do we know who really does?
i don't mean people who have parts memorized but people who understand the interpretation properly.

I find it very hard to do, but mostly what I would say these are good clues :
-The Church has Bible studies or encourages people to study the Bible
-The priests or pastors do not pretend to hold the ultimate truth and encourage believers to pursue their own path
-The Church has activities with other denominations and possibly other religions (yes, it exists!)

To me it shows the openess - and humility - of the Church.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Whats missing for many Christians is the foundational understanding of the Trinity.
That "foundational understanding" appears to have been missed by virtually all Christians prior to 325 A.D. I wonder what it must have been like for Christ's Apostles to try to make it through life without this understanding. Something tells me they managed just fine.

Awoon

They all disagree on who knows and who don't.

They all agree that belief trumps knowing.

Last edited: