• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the difference between Sapta Puri and Char Dham?

ronki23

One is 4 Holiest places in Hinduism and the other is 7 Holiest places in Hinduism. But there are no overlaps?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Holy places vary by sect and region. As to reincarnation form death at a particular spot, I personally believe it's an exaggeration to say you will achieve moksha merely form leaving the physical body at a certain place. it's like an honorarium title for a holy place.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Sapta Puri are seven holy pilgrimage centres in India. The tirthas (pilgrimage centres) are: Ayodhya (Vishnu as Rama), Mathura (Vishnu as Krishna), Haridwar (Shiva as Gangadhara), Varanasi (Shiva as Vishwanath), Kanchipuram (Durga as Kamakshi), Ujjain (Shiva as Mahakaleshwar) and Dwarka (Vishnu as Krishna). - Wikipedia

Char Dham: Dwarika, Badrinath, Jagannatha Puri and Rameshwaram (as everybody knows).

Yeah, there are no overlaps but there are many other holy places for Hindus.

ronki23

The Sapta Puri are seven holy pilgrimage centres in India. The tirthas (pilgrimage centres) are: Ayodhya (Vishnu as Rama), Mathura (Vishnu as Krishna), Haridwar (Shiva as Gangadhara), Varanasi (Shiva as Vishwanath), Kanchipuram (Durga as Kamakshi), Ujjain (Shiva as Mahakaleshwar) and Dwarka (Vishnu as Krishna). - Wikipedia

Char Dham: Dwarika, Badrinath, Jagannatha Puri and Rameshwaram (as everybody knows).

Yeah, there are no overlaps but there are many other holy places for Hindus.
Holy places vary by sect and region. As to reincarnation form death at a particular spot, I personally believe it's an exaggeration to say you will achieve moksha merely form leaving the physical body at a certain place. it's like an honorarium title for a holy place.

I've decided on Hairdwar although I am interested in Kanchipuram and Rameshwaram as I was told South India is quite different.

I'm going to do Haridwar, Amritsar, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer and Baroda

ManSinha

You know the Saint Kabir chose to pass away at Maghar?

upload_2019-4-23_9-52-52.png

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
:) No swimming required at the time of one's death. One was Brahman, one is Brahman, and even after death one will remain Brahman, as no second exists.

ManSinha

:) No swimming required at the time of one's death. One was Brahman, one is Brahman, and even after death one will remain Brahman, as no second exists.
That viewpoint is also true

/E* @Aupmanyav

You really bring up an interesting point - it is all Maya - Leela - then why are we admonished to follow the path of bhakti?

The "terrifying world ocean" or "Bhavsagar" is referred to many times in scripture - why so?

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You really bring up an interesting point - it is all Maya - Leela - then why are we admonished to follow the path of bhakti?
The "terrifying world ocean" or "Bhavsagar" is referred to many times in scripture - why so?
That, Man, is a social arrangement and treatise - to discourage people from doing unsocial things and keep them thinking about right ways. As you know, an empty mind is a devil's workshop'. So, the sages like Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Saheb tried to populate it with helpful social thoughts. And the 'terrifying world ocean' which we are supposed to cross, Hindus by holding tight to the tail of a cow :), and the heaven and hell beyond it is a carrot and sword strategy. :D

Do you think the sages did not know it all? But there was no other way to tell ignorant people. Some understood, many did not.

Last edited: