• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the difference between Mad Cow, Bird Flu, Swine Flu and SARS?

ronki23

All of these viruses have come before Coronavirus and people still travelled around the world. Swine Flu in particular was far worse. I don't think travel was affected by Swine Flu- the lack of travel was by the global recession

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Reminds me of an old joke.
Which one doesn't belong in this list....
AIDS
Gonorrhea
A condominium in Flint, MI
Gonorrhea because it's curable.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

First thing i noticed was that they are all spelt differently

Bird flu is an influenza virus common in birds that can be caught by humans
Swine flu is an influenza virus originally caught by people who worked with pigs
Sars is a virus causing acute respiratory distress, it isn't a flu but a pneumonia
Mad cow or BSE is a brain disorder caused by a prion

ronki23

Influenza infects and kills more than Coronavirus

I'm not going to South Korea and Japan this year not only because of Coronavirus but because the company I want to go with didn't renew their ATOL. I give up

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
All of these viruses have come before Coronavirus and people still travelled around the world. Swine Flu in particular was far worse. I don't think travel was affected by Swine Flu- the lack of travel was by the global recession
Well, mad cow isn't a virus, for a start...

Kangaroo Feathers

Influenza infects and kills more than Coronavirus

I'm not going to South Korea and Japan this year not only because of Coronavirus but because the company I want to go with didn't renew their ATOL. I give up
Raw numbers don't give the whole picture. Coronavirus has, so far, killed a couple hundred people, and influenza indeed kills tens of thousands each year. However, the overall fatality rate for CV is shaping up to be around 3%, whereas flu, iirc, is something like 0.01% for an average seasonal flu. If an average flu killed 3% of those infected that would be millions of people. If CV became as wide spread as an average seasonal flu, it would be serious stuff. Not Black Death taking out a third of Europe level, but still serious enough to want to avoid.

HonestJoe

People are travelling around the world today. There are restrictions to China specifically and probably other precautionary measures but the majority if international travel will continue regardless.

Different outbreaks of different infectious diseases will always lead to different reactive and preventative measures depending on the nature of the cause and spread of the outbreak at the time of decisions being made. With coronavirus still mostly limited to parts of China, restricting travel to and from there is a viable and reasonable measure. In other situations, such as recent Avian Flu and Swine Flu outbreaks, circumstances have been different – either the incubation period and infection rates or the illness already spreading to multiple places make general travel restrictions unnecessary or ineffective. That doesn’t mean that there weren’t specific measures and other checks and procedures in place during those incidents. It’s very much a case-by-case thing.

Kangaroo Feathers

wuhan.JPG

ronki23

How do these viruses spread? Because they often come from live food markets but not from pet shops.

Are they meant to vaccinate/give antibiotics to the animals before they're sold as pets?

Is it because people are eating the meat uncooked?

ronki23

I was told diseases like Covid 19, SARS, MERS, Swine Flu, Bird Flu and Ebola are from coming into contact with wild animals such as with live food markets. But if you don't necessarily have to eat the animals then wouldn't zoos, farms and pet shops get it too ? People have to feed and clean the animals so wouldn't zoo handlers, farmers and pet shop workers/ pet owners get it too ?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

First thing i noticed was that they are all spelt differently

Bird flu is an influenza virus common in birds that can be caught by humans
Swine flu is an influenza virus originally caught by people who worked with pigs
Sars is a virus causing acute respiratory distress, it isn't a flu but a pneumonia
Mad cow or BSE is a brain disorder caused by a prion
More specifically, SARS is a corona-virus

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I was told diseases like Covid 19, SARS, MERS, Swine Flu, Bird Flu and Ebola are from coming into contact with wild animals such as with live food markets. But if you don't necessarily have to eat the animals then wouldn't zoos, farms and pet shops get it too ? People have to feed and clean the animals so wouldn't zoo handlers, farmers and pet shop workers/ pet owners get it too ?
Take for example the the CIVID-19 virus.
It started out as a bat virus.
Then it mutated so that it could be transmitted from bats to humans.
Then it mutated so it could be transmitted from human to human.
Now there is some speculation (please not that word here) that it can spread from human to cat and human to dog.
Again, please note it is being SPECULATED to cats and dogs at this time.

ronki23

So why didn't we lock down for swine flu ? Covid-19 is awful but I don't get why we haven't locked down for previous pandemics : another example is MERS