• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the difference between a "discussion" and a "debate"?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Putting this in "General Debates" just to be on the safe side.

I didn't want to derail another thread (Coronavirus Facts and Information thread:), but a question came up regarding forums marked for "discussion" as opposed to those marked for "debate." I'm not really questioning the rules here (and I think it's a good rule, actually - and I'm not just saying that to suck up to the mods).

But I'm genuinely curious as to where the line is drawn and what the actual difference might be.

When I was a kid, before my parents divorced, they would have heated shouting matches and say they were "having a discussion."

On the other hand, my initial understanding of "debate" was that it was more of a formal, structured procedure, usually with a judge to give points to different sides. Usually, there's a time limit involved, so people can't just rattle on and on and on (like I usually do).

But in any case, both "debate" and "discussion" generally imply a civilized and sometimes even friendly discourse. Despite my parents' gift at understatement, a "discussion" doesn't generally imply some kind of angry, heated exchange.

I would consider a "discussion" to be less formal than a "debate," but there still might be disagreements within the course of a discussion. But would the disagreement itself automatically make a "discussion" into a "debate"? Some threads might start off as some neutral topic, but a point might be raised which someone disagrees with, and then suddenly there's a debate. But it's not really structured or planned. It just sort of happens.

But then there are other threads which are intended to be debates from the outset.

I was just wondering what others thought about this.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's really quite simple. The chief goal of a discussion is to understand something. The chief goal of a debate is to prove or disprove something. There is some overlap between them, but there is also great divergence -- especially in practice.

For instance, if you say "Cattle are herbivores", then there is quite a difference between someone who engages you to find out what you mean by 'herbivore' and someone who engages you to prove you are wrong about cattle being herbivores.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Seems to me that debate falls under the umbrella term discussion.
As does flirting, arguing, etc.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
As I see it, it really boils down to intent.

Discussion becomes debate once there is intent to change another’s position.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
But I'm genuinely curious as to where the line is drawn and what the actual difference might be.
As I see it:
Discussion is sharing views with each other, not arguing about views
Debating is arguing about views, not just sharing views with others

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not really questioning the rules here (and I think it's a good rule, actually - and I'm not just saying that to suck up to the mods).
Yeah....right.
There's no shame in polishing the apples we give our overlords.
It's how we last here. It's kept me from being banished.
All hail our glorious moderators!

The short version....
Debate = Making the other person wrong
Discussion = Understanding why they're wrong.

I was surprised to discover yesterday that debating is prohibited in
General Discussion forums. I've seen nothing in the rules stating that.
It's disconcerting to realize that I've been likely violating an unwritten
rule for 10 years.
I blame @Quagmire (my keeper) personally for this failure.
So today his apple is unpolished. (And it might have a worm.)

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah....right.
There's no shame in polishing the apples we give our overlords.
It's how we last here. It's kept me from being banished.
All hail our glorious moderators!

The short version....
Debate = Making the other person wrong
Discussion = Understanding why they're wrong.

I was surprised to discover yesterday that debating is prohibited in
General Discussion forums. I've seen nothing in the rules stating that.
It's disconcerting to realize that I've been likely violating an unwritten
rule for 10 years.
I blame @Quagmire (my keeper) personally for this failure.
So today his apple is unpolished.

They probably have you on double secret probation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Toga party?
tumblr_mewhzwrk6y1rmwvhco1_500.gif

GoodbyeDave

The cheap free dictionary on my computer (I can't be bothered to log into the OED) says
Debate. vb. … to discuss or examine different arguments
n. … discussion for the purpose of elucidating truth
Discuss. vb. …to debate
Discussion. n. …debate

And what's the point of sharing views if you don't want to reach a conclusion?

MNoBody

discussion is collaborative building [everyone wins]
debating is a competitive dominating sport [winner and loser]

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Putting this in "General Debates" just to be on the safe side.

I didn't want to derail another thread (Coronavirus Facts and Information thread:), but a question came up regarding forums marked for "discussion" as opposed to those marked for "debate." I'm not really questioning the rules here (and I think it's a good rule, actually - and I'm not just saying that to suck up to the mods).

When I was a kid, before my parents divorced, they would have heated shouting matches and say they were "having a discussion."

On the other hand, my initial understanding of "debate" was that it was more of a formal, structured procedure, usually with a judge to give points to different sides. Usually, there's a time limit involved, so people can't just rattle on and on and on (like I usually do).

But in any case, both "debate" and "discussion" generally imply a civilized and sometimes even friendly discourse. Despite my parents' gift at understatement, a "discussion" doesn't generally imply some kind of angry, heated exchange.

I would consider a "discussion" to be less formal than a "debate," but there still might be disagreements within the course of a discussion. But would the disagreement itself automatically make a "discussion" into a "debate"? Some threads might start off as some neutral topic, but a point might be raised which someone disagrees with, and then suddenly there's a debate. But it's not really structured or planned. It just sort of happens.

But then there are other threads which are intended to be debates from the outset.

I was just wondering what others thought about this.

A discussion is more:

I believe god exists
I don't believe god exists
What do you believe about god
I believe in X, what about you
I believe in Y
That's interesting. I certainly disagree, and I get what you're saying.

A debate is more

I believe god exists
I believe you are wrong because of support A
That doesn't make sense. I believe you are wrong because of support B
Okay. What you said makes sense even though I see it's wrong
I guess we can agree to disagree

Argument

I believe god exists
You are wrong about god. He DOES exist and this is why Scripture 3:12
Wait! That scripture doesn't apply here. He doesn't exist because he's a spaghetti monster
No he's not. You gotta have faith. You don't understand.
I understand. You're believing in fairy tales.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
that requires empathy however, a rare faculty amongst the indigent population of this planet
Empathy is one path, but one can intellectually understand another's views too.
One is lucky if one has both. I'm challenged in the former.

MNoBody

Empathy is one path, but one can intellectually understand another's views too.
One is lucky if one has both. I'm challenged in the former.
well everyone needs to work on both sides of that.....if we keep practicing, we might actually get good at it...ambidexterity in that regard seems the ideal