• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the diagnosis?

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
So hard to type right now... finger pecking is what I have resorted to!

So I wake up today and my finger hurts. I shower and go to work. My finger turns red and swells. By mid-day it is hot to the touch and the whole thing is swollen. I go to the doctor.... "you broke it or sprained it badly". UH? NO! I think I'd remember doing that! Rheumitoid Arthritis, but you are too young....

So, just like my knee and the following surgery: no diagnosis! Rest it, ice it, use heat, etc... go to hospital if worse.... come back and see us if not better and we'll send you to the rheumetologist. BEEN THERE! Whith my knee they told me FMF, but no genetic history of that.... so... Uh? nothing!

UGH! I hate random flare-ups of a thing that doctors can't diagnose! No doctor, surgeon, nor therapist has figured out my leg issues for 2 decades now! The opthamologist says the doctors ruled out this, so it is this..... Other doctors try to help but can't since they don't know and can't figure it out....

Now the issue is in my hand, my finger. I am told I must have broken it... but I know I didn't!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
No, I didn't. I wake up at the drop of a hat when I do sleep....

Plus, I am on a pillow topped mattress... SO SOFT! (too soft)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Skin intact -- no breaks?
Any diet changes? Any recent, unusual, beer, anchovy, yeast, organ meats legume, mushroom,, asparagus spinach or cauliflower consumption?

Last edited by a moderator:

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Nothing unusual... no sign of infection! No break, cut, etc... just like my knee all over again!

Draka

Wonder Woman
Anything remarkable about the skin itself other than red and swollen? Any itching or skin look otherwise irritated or dry?

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Anything remarkable about the skin itself other than red and swollen? Any itching or skin look otherwise irritated or dry?

Nope! Skin is fine, other than hot and swollen and red... issue us INSIDE....

(so hard to type with a needless splint on!) I have retyped this about 8 times already! :yes:

* and still I type "us" unstead of is!*

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What happened to your knee?

Did they X-ray your finger to rule out fracture/dislocation?

From the limited description you gave my first impression was cellulitis, a tissue infection, but this usually occurs after a break in the skin admits bacteria.
Second guess was gout, hence the diet questions. the the foot is the more usual site, though.
I suppose a tendonitis is a remote possibility, though the presentation and symptoms are unusual.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Again: NO SIGN OF INFECTION! NONE AT ALL!

Auto-immune like my other issues? Or "I broke my finger and didn't know it"????

Or all BS doctor BS!???

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
What happened to your knee?

Did they X-ray your finger to rule out fracture/dislocation?

From the limited description you gave my first impression was cellulitis, a tissue infection, but this usually occurs after a break in the skin admits bacteria.
Second guess was gout, hence the diet questions. the the foot is the more usual site, though.
I suppose a tendonitis is a remote possibility, though the presentation and symptoms are unusual.

(so hard to type)

Not cellulitis or any infection. I know I did not break it... for I have before and I would have known. Not gout... not enough signs or symptoms of it to develope in my finger with no history or other signs of. (my little sister *a nurse* already asked that).

It is all remeniscent of other things I have had go on over the past 30 years! ABC in leg, eye issues, etc... My knee: a 20 year battle of no diagnosis and 3 surgeries.....

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The cellulitis itself is a sign of infection, Comet. (redness+pain+swelling = cellulitis)

Broken finger? -- what did the X-ray show?

Doctor BS, while common, rarely produces redness and swelling.

You have an auto immune disorder? Perhaps you're not too young for RA.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(so hard to type)

Not cellulitis or any infection. I know I did not break it... for I have before and I would have known. Not gout... not enough signs or symptoms of it to develope in my finger with no history or other signs of. (my little sister *a nurse* already asked that).

It is all remeniscent of other things I have had go on over the past 30 years! ABC in leg, eye issues, etc... My knee: a 20 year battle of no diagnosis and 3 surgeries.....
Sounds like you need to consult a good pathologist.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I need something! ( so I consult my good friends on RF) They seem to know as much as doctors do! BUT FREE!!!!!!!!!! :)

Yes, cellulitis causes all the symptoms I have... but no rhyme nor reason nor indication I have it or any other infection....

The only auto-immune disease I've been diagnosed with is FMF, but the rheumotologist didn't diagnose it since I gave my family history back to the year 917!!!! He had no reason to believe his diagnosis after that! I am not ARMENIAN!

Yet, this "flare up" indicates a bigger problem which says why other issues haven't been solved to this point..... auto-immune diseases best explain my problems over the past 30 years...

Christina023

I've just found this topic and I know that it passed much time from the moment its author described his problem, but I'm just interested whether he found a proper treatment for his disease. Recently, there occured quite simple symptoms as were described in this thread on my toe and I became quite disturbed about it... I haven't gone to the doctor yet, but I started to search for the description of what it might be. Thus, I found information about symptoms of gout in toe that seem to be similar to mine and those that were already mentioned here by the author. Probably, I should consult with a doctor as soon as possible:(