• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the Deal with Evolution?

Justanatheist

It
Disclaimer: I could myself be considered a kind of creationist, so I'm not here to rag on them!

But what is with this mostly Christian obsession (although I have seen it in the Muslim world too) with the theory of evolution? Aren't there better things to wrangle about? Healthier things to focus on?
It is about getting religion in the classroom, from the Scopes monkey trial to the Dover ID trial it's all about catching them when their young.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn’t say that evolution absolutely falsifies theism, all I said is that evolution makes theism a little bit less probable given the truth of evolution.
I don't follow this reasoning. I think it affects how we view God, not whether God exists.

In other words, if the earth would have been 6,000 years old with complex animals and humans since the beginning theism would be more likely to be true
That's what Henry Morris claims, but I think he's just selling books. Suppose you saw a man rise from the dead. Would this make you more likely to repent of sin? Jesus seems to be saying in his parable about Lazarus and the Rich Man that it wouldn't. I think he implies that miraculous proofs undermine rather than support faith. Ironically he does say that the Pharisees ought to believe him on the basis of his signs, but I think he is speaking ironically. They of course are not permitted to believe on that basis per principle of Deuteronomy 13. Henry Morris with his book The Genesis Flood rekindled a lot of superstitions about how faith works. He was wrong, and he shouldn't have peddled this.

Yes testimonies from people who became atheist due to evolution (Richard dawkins would be an example)
I have personally known two people who converted to Christ not because of miraculous proofs but because they felt it was the right thing to do, that the world was too cold, that God's way was the way for them. Just want to point out that they didn't care about miracles.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I know nothing about human behavior?
That's hilarious! How old are you, twelve or thirteen?
This is the sort of thing I think we can all expect from you. It isn't our first rodeo. We have seen lots of people behave like you are.

There is not point in talking to you. You won't answer questions. The best you can do is immature and childish personal attacks.

Thanks for confirming what I already knew.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Gentlemen, gentlemen....making it so personal & negative
risks mods rapping knuckles. Let's just agree to disagree.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Disclaimer: I could myself be considered a kind of creationist, so I'm not here to rag on them!

But what is with this mostly Christian obsession (although I have seen it in the Muslim world too) with the theory of evolution? Aren't there better things to wrangle about? Healthier things to focus on?

For my granddaughter evolution meant the Bible was wrong and could be ignored. I had to instruct her that evolution was not a proven theory.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think there are plenty, esp. knowing that its all so long ago, and we can't really know for sure (from personal experience; its all just hearsay)

Who is telling the story? The bones or the scientists. It takes a lot of imagination to tell a story from bones.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I honestly haven't met a creationist before. In person, none ever brought up the subject. What do you believe as a creationalist? (Ed-jucate the savage).

A crationist believes there is enough scientific evidence to prove that everything was created with a high probability.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
For my granddaughter evolution meant the Bible was wrong and could be ignored. I had to instruct her that evolution was not a proven theory.
No theory is proven. That seems to be a basic point that many do no understand. No religion is proven either.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I believe scientists think it is proven but then doctors thought that bleeding people was good science.
Scientist do not think that. Are there more recent and better examples to support your claim about science. Remember it was using science that got the doctors to stop bleeding people to get rid of the bad humors.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
**RULES 1, 4, AND 9 REMINDER**
1. Personal Comments About Members and Staff
Personal attacks and name-calling, whether direct or in the third person, are strictly prohibited on the forums. Critique each other's ideas all you want, but under no circumstances personally attack each other or the staff. Quoting a member's post in a separate/new thread without their permission to challenge or belittle them, or harassing staff members for performing moderation duties, will also be considered a personal attack.

4. Soliciting/Advertising and Off-Topic Spam
Soliciting or advertising for any content outside of the forums, whether your own or that of another person or group, is prohibited, and may be deleted by the staff on sight. This rule applies to any content area of the forum, including but not limited to the chat room, forum posts, profile information, private conversations, and signatures. Special exception may be granted to promote content in keeping with the mission of RF, but requires advance permission from the RF staff.

Spam or off-topic content is also not allowed on the forums. This includes (but is not limited to) posting links or images without discussion-promoting commentary, having a signature that violates signature size guidelines, posting surveys without permission from the RF staff, posts that deviate significantly from a thread topic or its intent, repetitious non-conversational posts, and any other habits deemed spammy by the staff.

9. Subverting/Undermining the Forum Mission
The mission of Religious Forums is to provide a civil, informative, respectful, and welcoming environment where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare, and debate. Content members create while debating and discussing must be done in the spirit of productivity. Bashing other forums, creating unproductive content or responses to others, attempting to use this site as a platform for campaigning for or against or furthering a personal agenda, and attempting to undermine the forum mission may result in moderation.

Any posts the RF staffs deems to be violations of these rules are subject to moderation. Continued violation of these rules may result in being reply-banned from this thread.

tas8831

There thosands of missing parts. How can a butterfly develop gps to get it to a warmer climate without the whole species dying in the process?
GPS??
LOL!
How can a species develop camouflage without going extinct because of predation before that ever happens?
Non sequitur.
[quote[
Michael Denton:“Neither of the two fundamental axioms” of neo Darwinism,“…continuity of nature…linking all species together and ultimately leading back to a primeval cell” and “adaptive design…from a blind random process have been validated by one single empirical discovery or scientific advance since 1859.”[/QUOTE]
"Blind random process"? No wonder legitimate biologists laugh at Denton's nonsense.