• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the Deal with Evolution?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
If the dominant beliefs involved sun worship then nuclear fusion would be a controversial idea, an evil godless philosophy of the devil an responsible for all the evils in the world.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
But what is with this mostly Christian obsession (although I have seen it in the Muslim world too) with the theory of evolution?
What's the Deal with Evolution?

No big deal for me

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Aren't there better things to wrangle about? Healthier things to focus on?
I think there are plenty, esp. knowing that its all so long ago, and we can't really know for sure (from personal experience; its all just hearsay)

A Vestigial Mote

It seems to me that there are a lot of people who just can't wrap their mind around how it works. The people who can't understand it betray themselves quite frequently with very sophomoric and incorrect statements that they simply wouldn't be making if they actually understood the theory and mechanisms being proposed. And this is regardless whether or not it is true!

The statements they often make display complete and utter failures to grasp even the fundamentals - perhaps their minds or imaginations (or whatever) just aren't up to the challenge of fathoming the concept, or they have biases which prevent them from even entertaining certain notions, or they are purposefully holding on to incorrect perceptions of evolution in order to be able to continue to strawman it and therefore more easily "defeat" it (in their own perception, and unfortunately perhaps the perception of some of the more ignorant public onlookers).

And so, because they hold onto this childish caricature of what evolution is, or if they can't fathom it and it therefore seems so far-fetched, and considering themselves so intelligent and "open minded" that it couldn't possibly be their own misunderstandings, they themselves then go on to think it is a childish notion. And so it feels perhaps easy and "right" to enter into combat with it - not to mention it also likely flies in the face of the tales told by their preferred holy scripture.

But not just that. I think, fundamentally, a lot of those people who try and combat evolution so often are very haughty, and do indeed consider themselves "a cut above" - to the point that they wouldn't want to be associated with "apes" (or animals in general). Very often the idea of common descent is chastised or much played down as well. As if the very notion that they could be descendent of apes is grotesque to them - because they consider themselves "so much better." I have basically been told this exact thing very many times. It comes in the form of "Man is the top" or "Monkeys can't do [this or that]." People are arrogant, and conceit like this runs rampant in the spiritual community - a community that normally prides itself on being "oh so humble."

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Disclaimer: I could myself be considered a kind of creationist, so I'm not here to rag on them!

But what is with this mostly Christian obsession (although I have seen it in the Muslim world too) with the theory of evolution? Aren't there better things to wrangle about? Healthier things to focus on?
My view about this is largely taken from Stephen Jay Gould.

Major scientific revolutions generally have the effect of taking humanity down a peg. Gould uses the example of the Copernican revolution, which undermined the idea that humanity is at the literal centre of the universe. It made humanity less special.

The Darwinian revolution does something similar: by saying that humanity arose from "lesser" animals through natural processes, it undermined the idea that humanity arose out of a deliberate, miraculous intervention of God. Like the Copernican revolution, it made humanity less special.

These changes in our perception of ourselves can certainly be unpleasant and even traumatic sometimes, so it makes sense that some people would look for ways to deny that they're true.

Some Christians (and some Muslims, as you point out) think they have an alternative approach that allows them to avoid grappling with these difficult issues, so they take it.

I think flat eartherism comes from a similar place, though it's focused on the older and more settled issue of the Copernican revolution instead of the Darwinian revolution.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Disclaimer: I could myself be considered a kind of creationist, so I'm not here to rag on them!

But what is with this mostly Christian obsession (although I have seen it in the Muslim world too) with the theory of evolution? Aren't there better things to wrangle about? Healthier things to focus on?

I honestly haven't met a creationist before. In person, none ever brought up the subject. What do you believe as a creationalist? (Ed-jucate the savage).

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I honestly haven't met a creationist before. In person, none ever brought up the subject. What do you believe as a creationalist? (Ed-jucate the savage).
I'd rather not discuss my beliefs on this subject as it's tiresome. I'm sure you can find many on here tho lol.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I've wondered about this myself. I honestly can't see that there's any truly religious or theological reasons for refusing to accept the theory of evolution. It doesn't conflict with the possibility that a "god" may have created the universe. It's just observing the process in motion. It's just like mapping the continents. Just because someone makes a map showing the shape of the continents doesn't negate the possibility that God might have created it.

However, I do recall a scene from the movie Gettysburg, where it shows some Confederate generals talking about the theory of evolution. General Pickett did not subscribe to the theory and seemed to emphasize his disgust with the idea of being "descended from an ape." That may be the key point, the idea that their ancestors might have been apes seems to horrify some people to no end.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Evolution threatens their faith. They confuse how they read scripture as the same thing as belief in God. They can't tell the difference, and so if you question their interpretations of scripture, you question the existence of God in their minds. It's really not any more complex than that, IMO.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'd rather not discuss my beliefs on this subject as it's tiresome. I'm sure you can find many on here tho lol.

You're not as controntational. I was just curious since I hear so many evolution and attack on creationalist, not sure what they believe.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

I think it's all ego, vanity and narcism.
Their religion tells them that they are "special" and the entire point of the universe.

That literally everything that exists, exists only for the ultimate purpose of humans existing.
Evolution however, tells them that humans are ordinary animals. Not special at all. Just another tiny bit smarter ape.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I honestly haven't met a creationist before. In person,

I did. He was sure that God created the universe literally as the Bible says then changed the laws of the universe to appear as if evolution was true as a test for believers

It doesn't conflict with the possibility that a "god" may have created the universe.

"God is who. Evolution is how" or for the geeky
"God wrote the program, evolution is the output, meteor strikes are the reset button"

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Evolution threatens their faith. They confuse how they read scripture as the same thing as belief in God. They can't tell the difference, and so if you question their interpretations of scripture, you question the existence of God in their minds. It's really not any more complex than that, IMO.

This has been my experience too, but I think this is only true (usually) for those who take the bible as an inerrant account of history.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I did. He was sure that God created the universe literally as the Bible says then changed the laws of the universe to appear as if evolution was true as a test for believers

Interesting... I heard from others that Satan was the one that "put the dinosaur bones in the ground" to seed doubts in people and lead them away from god. Apparently he can do that because god has given him the power to be the "king of this world" until judgement day comes.

AlexanderG

There are tens of thousands of denominations of Christianity, with different beliefs on every single point of doctrine. However, some denominations like creationism have central tenets that are directly at odds with evolution.

1. If you believe the world is 6,000-10,000 years old, you must deny most of biology, chemistry, physics, geology, paleontology, archeology, and anthropology.
2. If you believe god made the first man and woman, you must deny evolution at the very least.
3. If you believe the world was entirely flooded 4,000 years ago, you must deny most of biology, chemistry, physics, geology, paleontology, archeology, and anthropology.

To put it in theological terms: If there was no Adam and Eve, then there was no original sin. If there was no original sin, then people don't necessarily need to be saved. If people don't all need to be saved, then there was no need for Jesus' sacrifice and resurrection. Evolution, which holds that humans are descended from populations of prior species and that there could never have been only two humans, completely undermines the entire theology of creationist sects. They can't let it go unchallenged, hence their empire of propaganda, misleading homeschool textbooks, apologetics channels, etc.

Brian2

Veteran Member

I believe God created everything but some people reserve the use of "creationist" for those why believe the earth was created about 6000 years ago and the days of Genesis 1 are literal 24 hour days.
This specific use of "creationist" can be confusing at time, and needs to be cleared up as the start of a discussion if you ever have a discussion on this topic.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe God created everything but some people reserve the use of "creationist" for those why believe the earth was created about 6000 years ago and the days of Genesis 1 are literal 24 hour days.
This specific use of "creationist" can be confusing at time, and needs to be cleared up as the start of a discussion if you ever have a discussion on this topic.

Thanks. I created it here What do creationalist believe?

Heyo

Veteran Member
I've met several. But I overreacted. Being so angry and perplexed that they exist in Germany, I gave my opinion about their education and that ended the discussion.

Heyo

Veteran Member

I notice an absence of those who could answer that question with authority and lots of speculations from the usual suspects on the other side.
@Deeje, @Hockeycowboy, where are you?