• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the Best Way To Become Less Self-Centered?

Smoke

Done here.
doppelgänger;942065 said:
I don't disagree, I just want to explore the implications of what it means to be sure to take care of one's self first. If I can make a lot of money polluting a local water supply, and buy my way out of trouble for a lot less than I'll make, should I do it? Even though I know it will result in poisoning thousands of families and their children?
Putting oneself first doesn't mean putting monetary gain first. Because you love your children, you discipline them and try to bring them up to be decent, moral people. If you love yourself, won't you also discipline yourself and train yourself to be a decent, moral person?

Either way, putting oneself first doesn't mean having no regard at all for others.

Personally, I think it's perfectly appropriate to be self-centered. Where should the center of one's life be, if not oneself? Concerns about making oneself less greedy, less selfish, less cruel, or less ignorant are self-centered concerns, as are concerns about making oneself kinder, more mindful, a better spouse or child or parent, or better-educated. Such self-centeredness is good for the individual and for those around him. Being greedy, selfish, and inconsiderate may be self-centered, too, but in a destructive way that's harmful to the self as well as to others.

capslockf9

And just about any activity is self centered. Seating down to read a good book, becuase it brings you pleasure is self centeredness. Lover, movie or forums are forms of self indulgence.
And in the world of business never take less the you deserve.

*Try for one day to not use the words; I or mine.