• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's purpose to lable this DIR"Evolution Vs. Creationism"

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Hello everybody :)

I discuss this with some member, they told me theory of evolution had nothing to do with origin/start of life. it's abiogenesis.

I thought this DIR main goal is about how life appears,according to two different methods "believe in God is Creator, believe in nature is creator", yes or not ?

Since evolution had nothing to do with life appears why compare/oppose it to creation ?
So,What is the purpose of discuss evolution VS creationism ?

Kirran

Premium Member
It's about how life appears in its current forms. Were they produced ready made, or did they emerge over time via natural processes? That's the dichotomy.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
To be more specific: Creationism (with a capital C) opposes Evolution in that Creationists tend to believe God just zapped everything into existence as they are formed in a very short period of time. They Theory of Evolution explains that the evidence currently available says that the various species of animals (extinct and not) emerged over a very very long time period and that species are derivative. Creationists (with a small 'c') tend to be people who range from scriptural literalists to people who believe God could have used evolution by natural selection as well as other natural forces to create the Earth according to the timescale set forth by the various sciences (as in the timescale that says the formation of Earth & subsequent formation of life took billions of years).

Creationists (capitalised) tend to be scriptural literalists who view their beliefs as having an equal amount of veracity as those positions backed up by science and advocate (sometimes quite aggressively) for their unevidenced beliefs to be taught in science classes.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think what you mean to say is that creation opposes abiogenesis. It doesn't necessarily oppose evolution.
Creation doesn't. Creationism, which is inappropriately but very firmly defined as equivalent to "denial of Evolution", does.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I think what you mean to say is that creation opposes abiogenesis. It doesn't necessarily oppose evolution.
Creationism opposes abiogenesis and evolution. What A Greased Scotsman just said.

Tumah

Veteran Member
To be more specific: Creationism (with a capital C) opposes Evolution in that Creationists tend to believe God just zapped everything into existence as they are formed in a very short period of time. They Theory of Evolution explains that the evidence currently available says that the various species of animals (extinct and not) emerged over a very very long time period and that species are derivative. Creationists (with a small 'c') tend to be people who range from scriptural literalists to people who believe God could have used evolution by natural selection as well as other natural forces to create the Earth according to the timescale set forth by the various sciences (as in the timescale that says the formation of Earth & subsequent formation of life took billions of years).

Creationists (capitalised) tend to be scriptural literalists who view their beliefs as having an equal amount of veracity as those positions backed up by science and advocate (sometimes quite aggressively) for their unevidenced beliefs to be taught in science classes.
I was thinking of an in-between. G-d zaps the world into being, but since then, there have been evolutionary changes across the board. Wouldn't you call that Creationism?

The Emperor of Mankind

I was thinking of an in-between. G-d zaps the world into being, but since then, there have been evolutionary changes across the board. Wouldn't you call that Creationism?

I'd call it creationism with a small 'c' unless you want your beliefs taught as factual in school science classrooms. Then it'll be a big 'C'.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I'd call it creationism with a small 'c' unless you want your beliefs taught as factual in school science classrooms. Then it'll be a big 'C'.
So you're saying the difference between Creationism and Evolution is: whoever wants their beliefs to be taught in school is called a Creationist, otherwise they're a creationist. Whoever wants science to be taught into school is an Evolutionist, otherwise they're an evolutionist.

The Emperor of Mankind

So you're saying "the difference between Creationism and Evolution is: whoever wants their beliefs to be taught in school is called a Creationist, otherwise they're a creationist. Whoever wants science to be taught into school is an Evolutionist, otherwise they're an evolutionist. advocating the teaching of evolutionary science."

This is my position (I hope you don't mind me editing your post to do it). As far as I'm concerned there's no small case 'e' Evolutionist because I think the term is a misnomer.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
This is my point :)

since evolution had nothing to do with original of life,why it's oppose to creation ?!!

HonestJoe

I thought this DIR main goal is about how life appears,according to two different methods "believe in God is Creator, believe in nature is creator", yes or not ?
I expect the main goal of this sub-forum was to shift all the petty arguments around the general areas evolution and creationism out of the general religious forums. The exact scope of topics in this sub-forum is going to be somewhat flexible and the choice of name is probably a poor one (though coming up with anything better is difficult).

Since evolution had nothing to do with life appears why compare/oppose it to creation ?
Some versions of divine creation have specifics that would be contradicted by evolutionary theory (timelines, creation of fully-formed animals etc.). There’s also a significant element of people on both sides feeding the conflict because they think it’s easier to discredit the opposite that support their own opinion.

So,What is the purpose of discuss evolution VS creationism ?
None what so ever as far as I’m concerned. There is purpose in discussing both and even purpose in discussing them in the context of each other but the pure “verses” arguments are a waste of time. Again, that’s why they’ve been pushing in to a sub-forum where they don’t need to bother normal people.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
To be more specific: Creationism (with a capital C) opposes Evolution in that Creationists tend to believe God just zapped everything into existence as they are formed in a very short period of time.
Here is my question again.

But Evolution don't say about how everything came to into existence! and don't mention to origin of life.

So it's not suppose to be oppose the Creationism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That's theory not proved.
apes are remain apes.
Uh, no, that is quite wrong actually.

Apes such as us will eventually become non-apes given enough generations and evolutionary pressure. That has been demonstrated for a long time.

that's not how about life started anyway.
True enough, although what is known about biology and the origin of life does strongly hint towards abiogenesis. Technically that does not touch the ToE, but it is very much in harmony with it.

Creationism is about how life started.
It should be, and if it were understood as such it would never have a need to oppose evolution, even if we had already managed to create fully functional vertebrates out of inanimate matter.

But that is just not how the word is usually defined. It is instead code for "denial of evolution".

Kirran

Premium Member
Uh, no, that is quite wrong actually.

Apes such as us will eventually become non-apes given enough generations and evolutionary pressure. That has been demonstrated for a long time.

Luis, I must quibble. The descendant of an ape can never not be an ape, as ape is a taxonomic category. It is only that the category 'ape' will become ever-broader as different lineages within it diverge. If the descendants of some orangutans ultimately become one-foot-long aquatic creatures and the descendants of some siamangs develop wings like bats, lose their brains and take on the biological role of pterosaurs, both will still be apes. Apes will just be a higher-level taxonomic grouping.