• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's in a (sexy) name?

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I was led to these two articles from an article on Cracked.com:
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Would he be even more handsome called Ryan?
What's in a name? The difference between being seen as attractive or not (or why Sophies are successful and Helens are unlucky) | Mail Online
According to these two articles, your name can affect how people perceive you to the point where someone would take one look at your nametag at a singles party, then turn away. Some names will imply that you're more successful, luckier, or more attractive. They can also do the opposite. Sure, there are some exceptions. For example, "George" is seen as one of the "least attractive" names, but George Clooney has been at or near the top of the "Sexiest Man" list for how long?

So now I'm just curious as to what the RF community thinks about this.

Can someone's name make you more attracted to them?

What names of your preferred gender in a sexual partner do you find sexy?

In your opinion, what makes a sexy name?

And because I'm feeling a bit of vanity right now, my first name is Patrick. Some call me Pat. I don't care either way. But I'm curious; if you find some names more attractive than others, which one is more attractive? Pat or Patrick? Does it even make a difference?

Skwim

Veteran Member
What's in a name? The difference between being seen as attractive or not (or why Sophies are successful and Helens are unlucky) | Mail Online
According to these two articles, your name can affect how people perceive you to the point where someone would take one look at your nametag at a singles party, then turn away. Some names will imply that you're more successful, luckier, or more attractive. They can also do the opposite. Sure, there are some exceptions. For example, "George" is seen as one of the "least attractive" names, but George Clooney has been at or near the top of the "Sexiest Man" list for how long?

Old news.

Maybe not more attracted, but less attracted. "Gertrude" would be a definite turn off for me.

Trixie
Aphrodite
Jazz
Jezebel
Blaze
Cayenne
Raven
Storm
Dixie
Tempest
wolf-whistle.png

Dominique
Venus
Xena
Peaches
Fifi
Queenie
Flame
Roxy
Gigi
Olive
Those with a home phone number attached.

And because I'm feeling a bit of vanity right now, my first name is Patrick. Some call me Pat. I don't care either way. But I'm curious; if you find some names more attractive than others, which one is more attractive? Pat or Patrick? Does it even make a difference?
I prefer Rick.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
As has been established on "How I Met Your Mother" girls whose names end in "i" are smexy. And kinky. If you argue with that you're arguing with Barney, and that makes you wrong!

Rakhel

Trixie
Aphrodite
Jazz
Jezebel
Blaze
Cayenne
Raven
Storm
Dixie
Tempest
Dominique
Venus
Xena
Peaches
Fifi
Queenie
Flame
Roxy
Gigi
Olive.​

What? No Bambi, Brandi, Candi or jasmine?
What kind of man are you?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Well, according to Robert A. Heinlein in Stranger In A Strange Land, a woman's name ending in a (non-silent) vowel suggests a 'C' cup (before you've met, of course).

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Well, according to Robert A. Heinlein in Stranger In A Strange Land, a woman's name ending in a (non-silent) vowel suggests a 'C' cup (before you've met, of course).

Ha! Nope!

Er....

Skwim

Veteran Member
[/indent]What? No Bambi, Brandi, Candi or jasmine?
What kind of man are you?
I went out with a Bambi, Brandi, Candi and Jasmine.

Bambi was too much of an animal, always sniffing around in the wrong places. :facepalm:

Brandi could never hold her likker and kept falling asleep :facepalm:

Candi, :facepalm: was way too sweet for me (I likes my wimmin nasty)

and Jasmine just stank too much. :facepalm:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

It's interesting.

Some names definitely do sound better to me than others. I really like names that aren't too common, but even some common ones sound a lot nicer to me than others. I suppose that it's like verbal art, and very subjective, and dependent on culture.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Another example of how dumb people can be. Sure some names sound better than others, but to somehow think a name has any real power over a persons attractiveness, luck, success, or anything else is just extremely shallow, narrow sited, and very ignorant.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Another example of how dumb people can be. Sure some names sound better than others, but to somehow think a name has any real power over a persons attractiveness, luck, success, or anything else is just extremely shallow, narrow sited, and very ignorant.
A friend knows two males who need someone to go to a dance with. He would like you to go with one of them in, your choice. He tells you nothing about them but their names. One is Ryan the other, Oscar. Which do you pick?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A friend knows two males who need someone to go to a dance with. He would like you to go with one of them in, your choice. He tells you nothing about them but their names. One is Ryan the other, Oscar. Which do you pick?
How could I possibly pick with just a name? Ryan could be a serial axe murderer, while Oscar could be the sweetest guy alive. Ryan could be covered with acne, have greasy hair, yellow teeth, and smells worse than a fishing dock, while Oscar could be a very clean person. Or maybe Oscar is a meth head and Ryan has never done any drugs.
Very typically, a name is nothing more than what our parents chose to name us. It's very poor judgement to judge a person by their name alone. It would be like saying the kid named Adolf Hitler is going to grow up to be a horrible person because his parents are a couple of neo-Nazis.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Yeah, Robert Heinlein is wrong when it comes to most things about women.

Skwim

Veteran Member
How could I possibly pick with just a name? Ryan could be a serial axe murderer, while Oscar could be the sweetest guy alive. Ryan could be covered with acne, have greasy hair, yellow teeth, and smells worse than a fishing dock, while Oscar could be a very clean person. Or maybe Oscar is a meth head and Ryan has never done any drugs.
Very typically, a name is nothing more than what our parents chose to name us. It's very poor judgement to judge a person by their name alone. It would be like saying the kid named Adolf Hitler is going to grow up to be a horrible person because his parents are a couple of neo-Nazis.

:facepalm: Okay.