• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's going on in the minds?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I don't think that is necessarily unusual...I certainly think in words but often if someone were to ask me what I was thinking about my attempt to put into words what I was thinking privately often spectacularly fails.

I think that we all think in scenarios, feelings, moods, images vague and bright, conversations, etc...just that we are stronger in different areas at different times.

I have never thought in speech before in my life. I don't even know how to try it .

WhyIsThatSo

to
I have never thought in speech before in my life. I don't even know how to try it .

The fact that you are writing these posts proves that you have inner speech ( thoughts).
If it did not, you wouldn't be able to communicate this way. There are those however who don't have to rely on
verbalized thoughts ( words ), they are called "telepaths".

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am one of the people who does not have inner speech.

I have explained this to other people here before, but others seemed to not understand what I was talking about.

...I think in 'feelings' and not in words. The only time I ever think in words, is when I'm planning a speech, or planning on writing.

Hm. I honestly never thought anyone didn't "think words." The only time I can think of that, but I am not at all familiar personally, is if one is born completely Deaf or do not have acquisition to verbal language. I think way too much so I'm jealous.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
What do you mean by "speech"?
Do you mean words?
Cause I do not think in words unless it is words I am thinking about.
My thoughts are mostly in images, colour patterns, etc.

WhyIsThatSo

Do you mean words?

Every sentient being in existence thinks in "words", no exceptions.
Words are what is truly "real", images, color patterns, etc, are NOT real.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Do you mean words?

When I'm left alone, my thoughts are in concepts, memories and hopes. Dreams of visual images and feelings dominate my mind.

It is *never* until I am in front of a person speaking to me, or conversing here, that I am forced to translate thoughts into words... But I do suspect other people think in words to themselves, while alone. I believe, some people primarily think in words while alone, which is the opposite of me.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My only comment would be to beware of confusing the mechanics with the results.

If I were to take some mind-altering drug and experience God, the mechanics of the drug does not invalidate my experience of God. (Nor validate it.) The point being that we too often assume that because we discovered the mechanisms that enable cognitive (metaphysical) experience, we have somehow invalidated the truth of the experience. And in so doing we invalidate our own humanity. I think this would be a VERY dangerous path for we humans to walk.

Not many people think this way. They think when you "prove" a metaphysical cause false, it devalues even threatens their experience of it. I think it's quite good to understand the process behind human nature, thought, and even experiences without they needing to compromise the connection to it.

I heard it put this way: Synchronicity are god's way of speaking to me.

Once we accept there are explanations behind our unique personal experiences, they'd be a bit stronger than "faith" and have a full discussion about it without the need of Practice. But as long as we're in the mystic-realm, it's quite impossible. Science is cool but I think it does make it feel it invalidates people's mystical experiences.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
When I'm left alone, my thoughts are in concepts, memories and hopes. Dreams of visual images and feelings dominate my mind.

It is *never* until I am in front of a person speaking to me, or conversing here, that I am forced to translate thoughts into words... But I do suspect other people think in words to themselves, while alone. I believe, some people primarily think in words while alone, which is the opposite of me.
Which is why I have always reply to the phrase "read you like an open book" with "yeppers. A comic book"

WhyIsThatSo

Pull the other one, it has bells on it.

Okay, if you insist..
A child is born....completely deaf, never heard a vocal "word" in all their life.
The child lives into old age, and learns to communicate their thoughts just fine during their life time..
Why is that so ?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not partial to any information that is not already available to anyone who truly wants to know. The "info" has always been available.
But up until recently, throughout the last 2000 years of human history, anyone privy to this info who understood and accepted it, was
hunted down like a rabid dog and killed. Which is why all the hostility here now. It has always been this way.

The God of the OT, the "God of this world", the God of the Jews and Orthodox Christians, is NOT the "Father" (True God).
The message of Jesus Christ, the "gospel" (good news), the message He brought to humanity is the " secret hidden since the creation of the world " ( Mathew 13:35 ). This "secret" is that the God who created this physical world is an IMPOSTER, and His aim in creating
this physical realm (world) is to enslave us (humanity) here in a place of suffering.

The Christ came to REVEAL this to humanity. That this is not our home, we don't belong here. There is another place we came from,
where we have always existed in eternity in perfect peace and love. The home of our true "Father". This is the "gospel" (good news)
OF (from) Jesus who is the Christ. Not some fairy tale "away in a manger" BS. And this is WHY He was murdered.

One of the first things Jesus did before He started His "ministry" is go into one of the local synagogues, pick up a scroll
of Isaiah, read and quote these words :
"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for He has anointed (chosen) me to announce GOOD NEWS to the poor . He has sent me to proclaim FREEDOM for the CAPTIVES ( prisoners of war ), and recovery of sight (spiritual) to the blind (spiritually). And to RELEASE the oppressed. "

All this looks like a bunch of misplaced black, bold, upper, and lower cased letters thrown into a dishwasher. What's your point?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Every sentient being in existence thinks in "words", no exceptions.
Words are what is truly "real", images, color patterns, etc, are NOT real.

I can "express" my thoughts in words because I was trained to do it. But I honestly don't think in words.

...I swear to God.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Okay, if you insist..
A child is born....completely deaf, never heard a vocal "word" in all their life.
The child lives into old age, and learns to communicate their thoughts just fine during their life time..
Why is that so ?
Because they learned to communicate their thoughts to others.
The answer is right there in your little story.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I can "express" my thoughts in words because I was trained to do it. But I honestly don't think in words.
It is interesting that because he is limited to thinking in words only, that he thinks every single sentient being has to share his limitation.

WhyIsThatSo

It is interesting that because he is limited to thinking in words only, that he thinks every single sentient being has to share his limitation.

There are no thoughts without words..
If there is then it's called "confusion" ( CHAOS ).
Are you "confused" ? ( in chaos )

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Okay, if you insist..
Why is that so ?

When I took ASL Interpreting and Deaf culture studies, my Deaf professor (and all of them were Deaf or Hard of Hearing) said there was a family in a town somewhere in mid-west US where there's barely any civilization. Majority of the people were Deaf or Hard of Hearing and the main communication sign language. The daughter was a CODA (hearing Child of Deaf Adults) and she never used spoken language as a main if any form of communication.

When she was up in age, she went to college outside the city and vocal language, in this case English, became her second language with ASL her native.

I assume people have forms of language (or ways one communicates and reflects on their communication with others) but some do it visually, some auditory, kinesthetic, or a range of methods. Personally, I think while I type and practically every other thing. But in ASL classes we couldn't use our native language; so, although we weren't expected to "cut our inner voice" off, we were expected not to translate them in our heads but go strictly off of body language, facial expression, and signs to communicate.

Not everyone "hears" voices. Probably many Deaf and Hard of Hearing do if they become Deaf/HH later in life but it's not a hard and fast rule. Interesting nonetheless.