• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's God's Big Hangup With Homosexuality?

While God may tolerate homosexuals (He never really comes out and condemns such people), according to the Bible it's clear He detests homosexual acts, both male and female. He even wants men who engage in homosexuality to be put to death. Three passages in particular address His distaste. (If there are other direct scriptural references feel free to share.)

Leviticus 18:22 (ERV)
22 “Men, you must not have sexual relations with another man as with a woman. That is a terrible sin!

Leviticus 20:13
(ERV)
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

Romans 1:24, 26-27 (ERV)
24 People wanted only to do evil. So God left them and let them go their sinful way.

26 Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex with men and started having sex with other women. 27 In the same way, men stopped having natural sex with women and began wanting each other all the time. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs.​

Currently, it's estimated that from 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the population identify as LGBT.* With the current world population now hitting close to 7.5 billion, and considering God's attitude in Leviticus 20:13, this means there are between 112 - 635 million people (homosexuals) He feels are better off dead.

Pretty drastic of a loving god if you ask me. So the question arises: Just what the heck does God find so abhorrent about homosexual activity? He certainly doesn't leave any clue. Perhaps He may doth protest too much?

Anyone care to take a stab?

*The demographics of sexual orientation and gender identity in the United States have been more accurately studied in the social sciences in recent decades. In the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans’ sexual orientation, the NHIS reported in July 2014 that 1.6 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent identify as bisexual. In a Williams Institute review based on an June–September 2012 Gallup poll, approximately 3.4 percent of American adults identify themselves as being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender). An earlier report published in April 2011 by the Williams Institute estimated that 3.8 percent of Americans identified as gay/lesbian, bisexual, or transgender: 1.7 percent as lesbian or gay, 1.8 percent as bisexual, and 0.3 percent as transgender. The 2011 Williams Institute report also states that 8.2 percent of Americans reported that they had engaged in same-sex sexual behavior, and 11 percent reported some same-sex attraction. Studies from several nations, including the U.S., conducted at varying time periods, have produced a statistical range of 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the adult population identifying as LGBT. Online surveys tend to yield higher figures than other methods,[4] a likely result of the higher degree of anonymity of Internet surveys, which elicit reduced levels of socially desirable responding.
Source: Wikipedia

You're statistical analysis is false. The numbers you quote are only for the US (even then I would take them tentatively) why do you then apply them to the world population? That is illogical and un scientific.

As for homsoexuality, I always like to ask one question: Why do you think homosexuality is right?

Skwim

Veteran Member
You're statistical analysis is false.

No statistical analysis given, only conclusions. And they're not my conclusions, but those of the NHIS reported in July, 2014, a 2012 Gallop poll, and the findings of the Williams Institute.

The numbers you quote are only for the US (even then I would take them tentatively)
And you're absolutely free to do what you want with them. In fact, you need not even bother telling us. Ain't that cool.

why do you then apply them to the world population? That is illogical and un scientific.
Don't you mean "unscientific"? ;)

As for homsoexuality, [sic] I always like to ask one question: Why do you think homosexuality is right?
As opposed to being wrong I take it. Well, I don't feel it's wrong because I have yet to be convinced that any harm it may harbor outweighs its benefits. And no, I'm not about to list them for you. :D

By the way, welcome to RF. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
No statistical analysis given, only conclusions. And they're not my conclusions, but those of the NHIS reported in July, 2014, a 2012 Gallop poll, and the findings of the Williams Institute.

And you're absolutely free to do what you want with them. In fact, you need not even bother telling us. Ain't that cool.

Don't you mean "unscientific"? ;)

As opposed to being wrong I take it. Well, I don't feel it's wrong because I have yet to be convinced that any harm it may harbor outweighs its benefits. And no, I'm not about to list them for you. :D

By the way, welcome to RF. :thumbsup:

Emojis cover any lack of content in this post. The statistics you quoted are for the US population so why have you then extrapolated them to the world population and come up with a figure of posisble world wide homosexuals. That is not how mathematics works. ou should simply be gracious and say tha tyou made a mistake.

You claim homsexuality harms do not outweight the benefits yet you do not list a single benefit. Can you list these benefits that outweight just one harm - that of the spread of HIV. In the western world, male to male sexual inercourse in the primary spread of this infection. In the UK it has a toll of hundreds of millions of pounds for the tax payer. I would like to know what positive outweighs this.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Emojis cover any lack of content in this post. The statistics you quoted are for the US population so why have you then extrapolated them to the world population and come up with a figure of posisble world wide homosexuals. That is not how mathematics works. ou should simply be gracious and say tha tyou made a mistake.
Because it isn't significant. This is a discussion/debate forum, not a final in STAT 21300 - Introduction to Applied Statistics. Save your pedantry for something of consequence. But to address your "concern" here. In as much as homosexuality is a nature not nurture characteristic, like handedness---neither are chosen---there is no reason to suspect that the worldwide percentage of homosexuals would vary much outside the "1.2 to 6.8 percent" spread found in the USA. So I feel quite comfortable in extrapolating the figure to cover the world's population. If you don't, so be it.

Looked at another way, if there is a significant difference in the spread, say .5 to 11 percent, which would mean there are 46 - 1,012 million people who are homosexuals in the world, would the true total number of homosexuals that lies between these two extremes absolve god of his unconscionable demand that they be put to death? I say no. All of which is why it's not that material that I only cited figures for the USA. Whether there's only 46 million people god feels should be killed for their sexual orientation or a billion, it's still abhorrent. What's God's Big Hangup With Homosexuality?

You claim homsexuality harms do not outweight the benefits yet you do not list a single benefit.
Actually, I said "I have yet to be convinced that any harm it may harbor outweighs its benefits." ;)

Can you list these benefits that outweight just one harm - that of the spread of HIV. In the western world, male to male sexual inercourse in the primary spread of this infection. In the UK it has a toll of hundreds of millions of pounds for the tax payer. I would like to know what positive outweighs this.
I can, but as I already said, I wont. However I will say this:

According to the CDC, in the USA only 16% of gay men and bisexual will be diagnosed with aids in their lifetime,

"If current diagnosis rates continue, 1 in 6 gay and bisexual men will be diagnosed with HIV in their lifetime,"
source

And, the worldwide the rate of new infections is dropping.

CKCurpzWEAA7sCs.png

This means that 80% of all gay men will never get aids (100 - 16). Now to deprive 3.5 million + people in the USA* of whatever you would like to deprive them of---from the thrust of your thinking that homosexuality is wrong, I assume you feel it needs correction--- is, in my opinion, absolutely wrong.

*A quick, off the hip extrapolation from the following 2011 consensus.

"Drawing on information from four recent national and two state-level population-based surveys, the analyses suggest that there are more than 8 million adults in the US who are lesbian, gay, or bisexual, comprising 3.5% of the adult population. In total, the study suggests that approximately 9 million Americans – roughly the population of New Jersey – identify as LGBT.
source

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

A couple of things to think about!!! Since you know what The Almighty God thinks about homosexuality, you know that you are condoning his sins by associating with him.
IIRC, that's also the attitude of Jewish clergy who felt Jesus shouldn't be hanging out with outcasts.

God did not intend for men and women to seek sexual satisfaction with members of their own sex.
Then homosexual relationships should lack hormonal stimuli, but it does, so since God made those hormones to kick in regardless ...

sexual immorality
Jesus supposedly didn't have sex with anyone, so what if "just sex" is what he considered immoral? I'm a virgin, so I guess I'm okay, but everyone else? :p

This god that doesn't like homosexuals must be a homophobia, ha, it doesn't say much about him does it ?.
I figure, after the end of the world, God and Satan will have something like this song going on ... (spoilers)

Strange that god would continue to condemn homosexuality but no longer condemn bestiality.
Maybe putting Jesus in that manger wasn't such a hot idea after all? :p

I think the Greek term por·neiʹa is a general term for all unlawful sexual intercourse. It would include adultery, prostitution, sex between unmarried persons, homosexuality, and bestiality.
(Acts 15:28,29)
And I would define sexual immorality simply as all acts that are not part of a loving and consensual relationship with those legally able to consent as defined by law. Thus, dogs, while they can permit you to have sex with them without biting your genitalia off, cannot engage in legal consent and thus it doesn't count, just as we have rules against kids and people with certain types of disabilities. However, sex toys (up until AI becomes sentient enough to warrant personhood status) isn't affected because there is no mind to deal with at any rate. If something is alive, it has to be capable of legal consent. Adultery is bad because if someone isn't party to the consensual relationship (like the other spouse), it breaks this rule. Open marriages, despite my distaste for them, involve mutual consensual relationships among all parties, so it wouldn't break this rule.

Also, Jesus wouldn't be alive had it not been for at least a couple of prostitutes. Read your genealogies again.

Are you under the impression that whenever someone sees a naked or partially naked body that they lust for it?
Yeah, that's not true. I've seen enough naked bodies as a nurse that it would have to be godlike amazing for it to do anything for me, LOL.

He favors procreation over the alternative, i.e. not producing or not being "fruitful" and multiplying.
Not reproducing is also advantageous, particularly when resources are scarce or when the parents can't invest that much time and energy for whatever reason. Even "base" animals know when not to have sex.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Not reproducing is also advantageous, particularly when resources are scarce or when the parents can't invest that much time and energy for whatever reason. Even "base" animals know when not to have sex.

We reproduce at a greater rate during wartime and depression. Our collective instinct has always favored an overzealous observance of that reproduction command. Hardship and fears of overcrowding are alleviated with irrational hopes, and bloodshed.

Financially, children are of enormous value. The question has always been how to adequately accommodate their productive value and then distribute it.

MJFlores

While God may tolerate homosexuals (He never really comes out and condemns such people), according to the Bible it's clear He detests homosexual acts, both male and female. He even wants men who engage in homosexuality to be put to death. Three passages in particular address His distaste. (If there are other direct scriptural references feel free to share.)

22 “Men, you must not have sexual relations with another man as with a woman. That is a terrible sin!

(ERV)
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

24 People wanted only to do evil. So God left them and let them go their sinful way.

26 Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex with men and started having sex with other women. 27 In the same way, men stopped having natural sex with women and began wanting each other all the time. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs.​

Currently, it's estimated that from 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the population identify as LGBT.* With the current world population now hitting close to 7.5 billion, and considering God's attitude in Leviticus 20:13, this means there are between 112 - 635 million people (homosexuals) He feels are better off dead.

Pretty drastic of a loving god if you ask me. So the question arises: Just what the heck does God find so abhorrent about homosexual activity? He certainly doesn't leave any clue. Perhaps He may doth protest too much?

*The demographics of sexual orientation and gender identity in the United States have been more accurately studied in the social sciences in recent decades. In the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans’ sexual orientation, the NHIS reported in July 2014 that 1.6 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent identify as bisexual. In a Williams Institute review based on an June–September 2012 Gallup poll, approximately 3.4 percent of American adults identify themselves as being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender). An earlier report published in April 2011 by the Williams Institute estimated that 3.8 percent of Americans identified as gay/lesbian, bisexual, or transgender: 1.7 percent as lesbian or gay, 1.8 percent as bisexual, and 0.3 percent as transgender. The 2011 Williams Institute report also states that 8.2 percent of Americans reported that they had engaged in same-sex sexual behavior, and 11 percent reported some same-sex attraction. Studies from several nations, including the U.S., conducted at varying time periods, have produced a statistical range of 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the adult population identifying as LGBT. Online surveys tend to yield higher figures than other methods,[4] a likely result of the higher degree of anonymity of Internet surveys, which elicit reduced levels of socially desirable responding.

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Gays are not single-out by God, sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, thieves, greedy, drunkards, slanderers and swindlers are also on the list.

Now on LGBT community, I say they are very artistic and lively. But in the Philippines were I am from, HIV is growing primarily due to the fact that men have sex with men - based on the Department of Health Statistics given below:
HIV-in-numbers_3_CNNPH.png

HIV/AIDS infection in the Philippines is low but growing. The current incidence of HIV/AIDS in the country remains under 0.1% of the total population in 2015. The Philippines has one of the lowest rates of infection, yet has one of the fastest growing number of cases worldwide. The Philippines is one of seven countries with growth in number of cases of over 25%, from 2001 to 2009.

Cases are concentrated among men who have sex with men, and secondarily, among female sex workers.HIV cases among men having sex with men multiplied over 10 times since 2010. HIV cases are getting younger.

The first case of HIV infection in the Philippines was reported in January 1984.

HIV/AIDS in the Philippines - Wikipedia

So God is good and He knows best. Men shouldn't have sex with men otherwise we will have a pandemic on our hands. I believe it is unnatural and disease causing. Take it from the Philippine experience with HIV.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Gays are not single-out by God, sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, thieves, greedy, drunkards, slanderers and swindlers are also on the list.

Now on LGBT community, I say they are very artistic and lively. But in the Philippines were I am from, HIV is growing primarily due to the fact that men have sex with men - based on the Department of Health Statistics given below:
HIV-in-numbers_3_CNNPH.png

HIV/AIDS infection in the Philippines is low but growing. The current incidence of HIV/AIDS in the country remains under 0.1% of the total population in 2015. The Philippines has one of the lowest rates of infection, yet has one of the fastest growing number of cases worldwide. The Philippines is one of seven countries with growth in number of cases of over 25%, from 2001 to 2009.

Cases are concentrated among men who have sex with men, and secondarily, among female sex workers.HIV cases among men having sex with men multiplied over 10 times since 2010. HIV cases are getting younger.

The first case of HIV infection in the Philippines was reported in January 1984.

HIV/AIDS in the Philippines - Wikipedia

So God is good and He knows best. Men shouldn't have sex with men otherwise we will have a pandemic on our hands. I believe it is unnatural and disease causing. Take it from the Philippine experience with HIV.
I have several problems with the HIV argument against homosexuality, a few listed as follows:
1. Homosexuality is not just gay men, gay women have the lowest HIV rate of any demographic. Does that mean you approve of lesbianism more than heterosexual women?
2. Black people have a staggeringly higher rate of HIV than white people. Does that mean there's something inherently wrong with being Black? Or does it mean there's more complicated social factors at work?
3. As access and education about condom use goes up, the rate of new infections have gone down worldwide since 2008. Seems like encouraging proper condom use has done far more for gay men than telling them to stop being gay.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Why should I care what Paul thinks?

Lots of people talk smack about other people, wishing they'd burn in hell. The internet makes it moreso. He's just one troll, most likely a hypocritical one (the homophobes usually are), and should be treated as such.

Homosexuality is unlike the others in that the others produce known harm. Is God incompetent? Can He not follow along in this song?
edit: "Idolators" don't even cause harm either. Is God seriously threatened by wood and stone and clay? I mean, I know the bible says He can't defeat armies with IRON weapons, but ... seriously?

So promote safe sex. Boom. Problem solved.

(ERV)

Well, I'm new to this forum and I guess I'll get into the fray. I haven't read any of the responses. I myself am not homophobic, my personal knowledge is we all go to Heaven no matter what even and especially gay people and atheists. (Gays become straight in Heaven)

If the only reason you are reluctant from being Religious or Spiritual is because of all Religions stances on Homosexuality (Contrary to popular Western Belief Buddhists and Hindus do not accept homosexuality) then what I suggest you do is spend time with Homosexual people getting to know them. Now, Brietbart News is run completely by homosexuals and their twitter feed is run by a homosexual, so follow it. Many people at Fox News including their contributors like Ann Coulter are gay, so watch to it. These are all closeted gay people living salacious lives preying on the ignorant.

I think after a while of getting to know Homosexuals and their agenda, if you are not in denial, you will see they are not innocent people. It's not their sex life that bothers people like me one bit; if it was just sex no one would care. It's all the baggage that comes with a mis-wired mind and body where no rational thought is penetrable that is the problem.

Look, we all go to Heaven I know this for a fact. It genuinely is not their fault they were born Gay, but I'm not going to sacrifice my well-being over people who are deceitful, irrational, cunning, salacious, in positions of power all over America. Just know, they are not innocent and never have been throughout history.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Well, I'm new to this forum and I guess I'll get into the fray. I haven't read any of the responses. I myself am not homophobic, my personal knowledge is we all go to Heaven no matter what even and especially gay people and atheists. (Gays become straight in Heaven)

If the only reason you are reluctant from being Religious or Spiritual is because of all Religions stances on Homosexuality (Contrary to popular Western Belief Buddhists and Hindus do not accept homosexuality) then what I suggest you do is spend time with Homosexual people getting to know them. Now, Brietbart News is run completely by homosexuals and their twitter feed is run by a homosexual, so follow it. Many people at Fox News including their contributors like Ann Coulter are gay, so watch to it. These are all closeted gay people living salacious lives preying on the ignorant.

I think after a while of getting to know Homosexuals and their agenda, if you are not in denial, you will see they are not innocent people. It's not their sex life that bothers people like me one bit; if it was just sex no one would care. It's all the baggage that comes with a mis-wired mind and body where no rational thought is penetrable that is the problem.

Look, we all go to Heaven I know this for a fact. It genuinely is not their fault they were born Gay, but I'm not going to sacrifice my well-being over people who are deceitful, irrational, cunning, salacious, in positions of power all over America. Just know, they are not innocent and never have been throughout history.
Welcome to RF.

Believe me, the reason I reject the "Religious and Spiritual" is not because of "all Religions stances on Homosexuality." It's because of religion's failure to convince me it has any truth. Period.

By the way, I noticed that you're Catholic and might be interested in taking a look at THIS Thread. (Just click on the "THIS")

Now keep in mind as an update, St. Paul had every right and experience to distance Christianity from Homosexuality. Read up on Greek and Roman lifestyle, highly gay and with a highly gay society you get a highly totalitarian one. There are reasons why the Communist Party in USSR and China persecuted homosexuals and it's not because they are Religious.

Now, if you can convince me there is no gay agenda going on in Conservative America, then I will admit St. Paul was too hard on the Gay Community. But this whole gay agenda has been with us since the beginning so I doubt you can convince me it was bad for society that St. Paul disowned the Gay people. It may have been bad for Gay people, but what world would we be living in if it was not done? A totalitarian one.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Now keep in mind as an update, St. Paul had every right and experience to distance Christianity from Homosexuality. Read up on Greek and Roman lifestyle, highly gay and with a highly gay society you get a highly totalitarian one. There are reasons why the Communist Party in USSR and China persecuted homosexuals and it's not because they are Religious.

Now, if you can convince me there is no gay agenda going on in Conservative America, then I will admit St. Paul was too hard on the Gay Community. But this whole gay agenda has been with us since the beginning so I doubt you can convince me it was bad for society that St. Paul disowned the Gay people. It may have been bad for Gay people, but what world would we be living in if it was not done? A totalitarian one.
Sorry, but I'm not interested. Just address the OP.

Welcome to RF.

Believe me, the reason I reject the "Religious and Spiritual" is not because of "all Religions stances on Homosexuality." It's because of religion's failure to convince me it has any truth. Period.

By the way, I noticed that you're Catholic and might be interested in taking a look at THIS Thread. (Just click on the "THIS")

Thank you, friend. You're going to be fine, we all go to Heaven. My goal here will never be to convince you I am right and you are wrong. Why? Because 1) we all go to Heaven 2) you just can't argue with experience. I have my experiences and miracles, you have your experiences. I'm not reluctant to share what I've seen with you because it goes against all your experience and as a result you won't believe me.

But don't worry, if ever you wonder about nothingness know it doesn't exist there is only the illusion of it which is designed to test you.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Thank you, friend. You're going to be fine, we all go to Heaven. My goal here will never be to convince you I am right and you are wrong. Why? Because 1) we all go to Heaven 2) you just can't argue with experience. I have my experiences and miracles, you have your experiences. I'm not reluctant to share what I've seen with you because it goes against all your experience and as a result you won't believe me.

But don't worry, if ever you wonder about nothingness know it doesn't exist there is only the illusion of it which is designed to test you.
Gotta caution you here. FYI, preaching or sermonizing in any form, no matter how innocuous you may think it is, is forbidden on the site.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Now, if you can convince me there is no gay agenda going on in Conservative America,
I am really gay and here is my gay agenda.

Sexual urges are a powerful force in most people. So it is important that we encourage everyone to pick a compatible mate, to reduce irresponsible sex. Irresponsible sex causes all kinds of problems from rape and abuse to STDs to crisis pregnancy. So I think everybody should get and stay married in order to prevent all that.

Everybody. All competent adults. Including gay ones. I am just prudish that way.
Tom