• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Broken?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
It is the theme of many world religions that the human being arrives upon this earth somehow flawed, imperfect, or broken, or becomes so early in life, and that the purpose of the human's mundane existence is to work toward perfecting itself.

In your belief, what is broken and needs fixing? What must you do to go about fixing and perfecting yourself and/or others? To what end?
Girl please. I was born fabulous.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
It is the theme of many world religions that the human being arrives upon this earth somehow flawed, imperfect, or broken, or becomes so early in life, and that the purpose of the human's mundane existence is to work toward perfecting itself.

In your belief, what is broken and needs fixing? What must you do to go about fixing and perfecting yourself and/or others? To what end?

Most persons consume more of the Earth's precious resources than what they return back to our planet. However, I'm morally superior to most persons in this regard: I recycle whenever possible, I hug and plant trees, I farm my land with fruit trees and vegetables that I give to my neighbors. I've taught young children to fish. I also drive a Tesla, which doesn't leave any fossilized fuel fumes into our planet's overly polluted atmosphere with man-made greenhouse gases. Most importantly, I've done my part not to overpopulate this world. I've only procreated one offspring.

There are some YouTube videos of a Tesla putting on a light show and dance display tribute to the environmental moral superiority of Tesla drivers.

What do you think is broke, and what have you tried to do with fixing whatever you think is broken?

Last edited:

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane

Integrity and honesty, more than anything

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

the lack of compassion and loss of foresight

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The notion that something is "broken" or "needs fixing" is humans projecting their expectations onto the worlds. I find it important to recognize this. Humans project expectations onto reality rather than accepting things as they are and making peace with that. This results in demons and delights alike. There is delight in feeling one has "achieved" something by "fixing" that which was "broken," for example. But such manipulations always come at cost, which is the demon; one person's "broken" is another's "fixed." Conflict is an inevitability.

There's something to be said for honoring and accepting things as they are.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

In my view:

1) Only perfect moral citizens can live in utopia
2) Jesus Christ, being perfect, died a horrible death and rose again, to perfect the imperfect
3) Transformation, not just forgiveness, is logically required to live in eternal utopia

Nice. However, it is the theme of many persons that human beings arrives upon this earth because of them. Without them, there would be no 'little' human beings, they say.

Flawed? Probably. Why? Because those 'persons' who 'made' the little ones can be the first ones to admit that they are not Perfect, not not flawed in any way.

Those that study UFO and outer life forms believe that they could be 'little' ones of theirs rather than 'little' ones of the 'persons'.

To persons and humans, this concept is flawed. To the 'little' ones of the outer space forms, they ask for explanation.

Asking for explanations is their way. For humans and persons, seeking is theirs.

Humans and persons are 'homo-sapiens'; or 'wise person'. Although they, outer life forms, are more advanced in technology of sorts, they still lack in knowledge.

And it makes sense. Their 'world' is one of 'material'. There is probably very little 'nature' that lives outside of theirselves. And so for them to live in that 'world', they rely more on the 'materials' needed to sustain more than being part of the larger 'nature/life' which is on Earth.

So if you were to tell them that 'nature' and other lifes on Earth 'matter', they might wonder and ask what is meant by that and ask why 'they' would matter.

And so we can draw the analogy of their material needed for sustenance to Earth's nature and other lifes for the same, our sustenance.

And if they like 'life', they will probably understand.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I also drive a Tesla, which doesn't leave any fossilized fuel fumes into our planet's overly polluted atmosphere with man-made greenhouse gases.
You charge your car off a power source that has no greenhouse gas emissions? How did you manage that, exactly?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Nothing is broken.
Nothing needs fixing.
The ultimate end is continuance.

GoodbyeDave

Not really. I can only think of 2 which believe that: Christianity and Buddhism. Include me out!

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
We all have a material nature and a spiritual nature, and the goal in life is to develop our spiritual nature so that it dominates our material nature.

QuestioningMind

In the Xian religion, the human being arrives upon this earth perfect for its existence upon the earth--with an overwhelming selfishness that fuels the survival instinct. God saw His creation, and declared it to be good.

However, being perfect for existence on earth is incompatible for existence in the presence of God, Whose nature is love--the opposite of selfishness. The purpose of our mundane existence is to experience temporary physical life. God's purpose is to prepare as many souls as possible to experience eternal spiritual life, by substituting His nature (Christ's nature) of love for our own nature of selfishness.

I don't see anything "broken" with the system.

So why were we created perfectly for existence upon Earth if we were intended to exist in the presence of God? What is the purpose of experiencing mundane physical life if it's God's purpose to prepare our souls for eternal spiritual life? Sounds kind of broken to me. After all, if it's God's desire for souls to exist eternally with Him, why would God create us perfectly for this physical world and incomparable for existence in the presence of God?

That's kind of like saying that God created fish perfectly with gills for for existence under the water, but God's purpose is for fish to be able to exist on land and breath with lungs.

Axe Elf

Prophet
So why were we created perfectly for existence upon Earth if we were intended to exist in the presence of God? What is the purpose of experiencing mundane physical life if it's God's purpose to prepare our souls for eternal spiritual life? Sounds kind of broken to me. After all, if it's God's desire for souls to exist eternally with Him, why would God create us perfectly for this physical world and incomparable for existence in the presence of God?

That's kind of like saying that God created fish perfectly with gills for for existence under the water, but God's purpose is for fish to be able to exist on land and breath with lungs.

Well, if evolution is to be believed, that's exactly how things happened.

I think God wanted us to live eternally with Him--but with an understanding and appreciation of how great of a gift that is. If we were just given an eternal, perfect life full of goodness, health and happiness right off the bat, we never would have known what those things were or how good our life with God was. By spending a few measley years separated from God by our human nature--suffering, experiencing death, disease, evil and pain in contrast with goodness, health and happiness, we can come to appreciate those things for eternity when we are reunited with God by His nature--without having to have all the bad things in His presence (which would pretty much be incompatible with His nature anyway).

And some people weren't created to live eternally with God anyway; some were created for destruction to be those examples of evil (Judas, for instance).

"The Lord has made everything [to accommodate itself and contribute] to its own end and His own purpose--even the wicked [are fitted for their role] for the day of calamity and evil." --Proverbs 16:4 (Amplified Bible)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, if evolution is to be believed, that's exactly how things happened.

I think God wanted us to live eternally with Him--but with an understanding and appreciation of how great of a gift that is. If we were just given an eternal, perfect life full of goodness, health and happiness right off the bat, we never would have known what those things were or how good our life with God was. By spending a few measley years separated from God by our human nature--suffering, experiencing death, disease, evil and pain in contrast with goodness, health and happiness, we can come to appreciate those things for eternity when we are reunited with God by His nature--without having to have all the bad things in His presence (which would pretty much be incompatible with His nature anyway).

And some people weren't created to live eternally with God anyway; some were created for destruction to be those examples of evil (Judas, for instance).

"The Lord has made everything [to accommodate itself and contribute] to its own end and His own purpose--even the wicked [are fitted for their role] for the day of calamity and evil." --Proverbs 16:4 (Amplified Bible)
So like an absence makes the heart grow fonder kind of deal?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Most persons consume more of the Earth's precious resources than what they return back to our planet. However, I'm morally superior to most persons in this regard: I recycle whenever possible, I hug and plant trees, I farm my land with fruit trees and vegetables that I give to my neighbors. I've taught young children to fish. I also drive a Tesla, which doesn't leave any fossilized fuel fumes into our planet's overly polluted atmosphere with man-made greenhouse gases. Most importantly, I've done my part not to overpopulate this world. I've only procreated one offspring.

There are some YouTube videos of a Tesla putting on a light show and dance display tribute to the environmental moral superiority of Tesla drivers.

What do you think is broke, and what have you tried to do with fixing whatever you think is broken?

What fuels a Tesla?

Katja

Considering people tend toward selfishness, I assume that's what's broken. That's why we (hopefully) teach kids that you share, you don't hurt others, you can't always have what you want, etc. (and the natural tendency toward selfishness is why we NEED to teach this). Training them *out* of their natural inclinations into something a bit kinder.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
You charge your car off a power source that has no greenhouse gas emissions? How did you manage that, exactly?

Nuclear strategery!

NUCLEAR+DANGER.png

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
That's why we take time to observe, and appreciate all the things in the world around us. If God looked back at his creation and was pleased with it, then maybe that's an important idea.

The problem with the concept of the Fall and Original Sin to explain the fallible human nature is flawed, because it brings to question the intent of God and an all powerful omnipotent all powerful God and his intent on the Creation of humanity. To blame humans whether two or all would be to scapegoat fallible humanity and anthropomorphize God