• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's a synod?

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Many denominations take communion quite seriously, in this Lutherans are not exceptional. LCMS doctrine allows communion to LCMS members only (there are exceptions requiring meeting with the pastor beforehand), I don't know about other synods.

However I must take issue with the claim for the reason (that if someone takes communion "wrong" they are going to hell), that's not doctrinal in any Lutheran church as far as I know. The idea is to make sure the Church handles communion responsibly, by insuring the communicant fully understands the significance of it.

The practice also extends to the Presbyterian (PCA) church I attend; the pastor prepares the congregation the week before communion by reminding us to search our hearts, repent, make amends, pray and commune with God. The next Sunday he teaches about the doctrine of "fencing" the communion table, warning against taking communion when indulging in unrepentant sin. For example, if someone is cheating on a spouse and has every intention of continuing to do so, or leading some kind of double life with no effort to change, that sort of thing, they should clean up their act before accepting communion. But if a person is struggling with sin (as we all are to varying degrees) and making an effort, they are encouraged to partake and welcomed to the Table.

In this regard, the two denominations are close in doctrine and practice, the only difference being the decision as to whether any professing Christian or only members may commune is left up to individual PCA churches.

This is interesting:
From the PCA Book of Church Order,
Ch. 58-2. The ignorant and scandalous are not to be admitted to the Lord's Supper.

Moon Woman said:
Many denominations take communion quite seriously, in this Lutherans are not exceptional. LCMS doctrine allows communion to LCMS members only (there are exceptions requiring meeting with the pastor beforehand), I don't know about other synods.

However I must take issue with the claim for the reason (that if someone takes communion "wrong" they are going to hell), that's not doctrinal in any Lutheran church as far as I know. The idea is to make sure the Church handles communion responsibly, by insuring the communicant fully understands the significance of it.

Now that's a much better way of explaining it, and really probalby closer to the truth than anything else has been said. It is significant, and sacred, and there is a lot of things that we take for granted about communion/sacrament. I really don't believe that other denominations think you'll go to hell for one sin. I shouldn't be sarcastic about it I suppose.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
standing_alone said:
You haven't? I could have swore I said bad things about them on here in the past! :p

lol This has been an interesting read as well. I, too, was wondering about a synod.

keithnurse

The practice also extends to the Presbyterian (PCA) church I attend; the pastor prepares the congregation the week before communion by reminding us to search our hearts, repent, make amends, pray and commune with God. The next Sunday he teaches about the doctrine of "fencing" the communion table, warning against taking communion when indulging in unrepentant sin. For example, if someone is cheating on a spouse and has every intention of continuing to do so, or leading some kind of double life with no effort to change, that sort of thing, they should clean up their act before accepting communion. But if a person is struggling with sin (as we all are to varying degrees) and making an effort, they are encouraged to partake and welcomed to the Table.

In this regard, the two denominations are close in doctrine and practice, the only difference being the decision as to whether any professing Christian or only members may commune is left up to individual PCA churches.

This is interesting:
From the PCA Book of Church Order,
Ch. 58-2. The ignorant and scandalous are not to be admitted to the Lord's Supper.
1st Corinthians 11:27-29 says if you eat the bread and drink cup in an unworthy manner you eat and drink damnation upon yourself. That must be where the idea comes from that if you take communion "wrong" you go to hell.

So I'm seeing different quirks from different parts of the lutheran faiths, is it just my church or is there something about the first 1-3 front rows that no one can sit in? It's like an unspoken rule at my church that you can't sit there. my church is ELCA

atpollard

So I'm seeing different quirks from different parts of the lutheran faiths, is it just my church or is there something about the first 1-3 front rows that no one can sit in? It's like an unspoken rule at my church that you can't sit there. my church is ELCA
Does the pastor spit when he preaches? ;)