• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's a "Purple Penguin"?The gender inclusive name for boys & girls in Nebraska public schools

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Why am I not surprised this article was originally published on FOX News?

I think it's cute. And I think it's progressive. I also think that it is probably unnecessary, and that FOX News is making far more of a hullabaloo about it than is warranted, showing again its colors of intolerance and general jerkishness.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why am I not surprised this article was originally published on FOX News?

I think it's cute. And I think it's progressive. I also think that it is probably unnecessary, and that FOX News is making far more of a hullabaloo about it than is warranted, showing again its colors of intolerance and general jerkishness.
I'll side with Fox on this one.
Inclusiveness & preventing bullying are great goals, but this program looks ridiculous.

I like seeing greater exposure for penguins though.
giphy.gif

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The Purple Penguins? What so wrong about being a boy or being a girl? I like being a female and never had any problem with it. :)

Apple Sugar

Implanting animal labels on human children because the traditional gender identities are thought to be intolerable isn't progressive. It's deviant. And smacks of a predisposition to zoophilia.

HonestJoe

What's a "Purple Penguin"?The gender inclusive name for boys & girls in Nebraska public schools
That statement is a lie. Feel free to challenge the document this is referring to (I think it goes too far personally) but you lose all credit when you make stuff up to blindly attack it (or, even worse, get tricked in to repeating the lie by trashy tabloid media).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We could call them "children" instead of "purple penguins."

I know, it's a crazy suggestion.
That would be "ageism" because it stresses the difference between them & the teachers.
Perhaps "humans" is the only acceptable term.
Everyone should be addressed as "human", since names are a societal construct which
encourages individualism & simultaneously is a governmental identification system.

Apple Sugar

We could call them "children" instead of "purple penguins."

I know, it's a crazy suggestion.
Are you nuts? How intolerant of you. BIGOT!
Evil_Monkey.gif
You should be ashamed. Off to the sensitivity retraining classes! Go, go now! Run.

Next thing you know you're going to suggest we revert to gender identity labels like, boy, and girl.
Something that even trans people would adopt given their costuming beyond their biological identity. And we have to stop you before you go that far.

Sheesh! What's the world coming to?
evil-penguin-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You human supremacist.
I actually considered that. So some day when hyper-intelligent ape-like creatures
are mainstreamed in public schools, everyone will be known as "hominid". And
eventually when our reptilian or insect overlords integrate with society, we'll just
call each other "Kleeborg".

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I still don't understand. Nothing about being male or female is shameful. Various genders will have a better chance of having equality if we are allowed to have them.

This "purple penguin" sort of thing doesn't promote sexual equality, it just covers it up and pretends genders don't even exist. That's the way I see it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I still don't understand. Nothing about being male or female is shameful. Various genders will have a better chance of having equality if we are allowed to have them.

This "purple penguin" sort of thing doesn't promote sexual equality, it just covers it up and pretends genders don't even exist. That's the way I see it.
Obviously, your backwards view is wrong.
I'll frubal you anyway....when you're eligible again.

Apple Sugar

It's extremist buffoonery being demonstrated in the reported Nebraska school system.

Transgender children want to be accepted as the sex they feel they are inside. A boy who feels like he's a girl wants to be addressed and seen as that which identifies them by the proper pronoun. "She", "her", etc...

This recommendation in the school devalues that and actually makes mockery of those children and their struggles. Presuming to dismiss the pronoun usage and replace it with something as inane as animal labels is either a bad joke, or an indicator of a predisposition to depraved indifference to child welfare with a predilection toward emotional abuse of children in general.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Implanting animal labels on human children because the traditional gender identities are thought to be intolerable isn't progressive. It's deviant. And smacks of a predisposition to zoophilia.

Overreact much? :facepalm:

I have many friends and family members who are elementary or middle school teachers. I actually don't think it's common usage to call kids out by "boys or girls" these days. If they're communicating with groups of students, teachers tend to call them "kids" or "students".

I'm not sure how I feel about the Purple Penguin pamphlet, need to give it more thought. But, I most definitely wouldn't overreact by saying this particular gender inclusiveness format smacks of a "predisposition to zoophilia."

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It's extremist buffoonery being demonstrated in the reported Nebraska school system.

Transgender children want to be accepted as the sex they feel they are inside. A boy who feels like he's a girl wants to be addressed and seen as that which identifies them by the proper pronoun. "She", "her", etc...

This recommendation in the school devalues that and actually makes mockery of those children and their struggles. Presuming to dismiss the pronoun usage and replace it with something as inane as animal labels is either a bad joke, or an indicator of a predisposition to depraved indifference to child welfare with a predilection toward emotional abuse of children in general.

I think they need to deal with those (transgenders) as they come. This kind of thing doesn't help it at all, in my way of thinking.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Overreact much? :facepalm:

I have many friends and family members who are elementary or middle school teachers. I actually don't think it's common usage to call kids out by "boys or girls" these days. If they're communicating with groups of students, teachers tend to call them "kids" or "students".

I'm not sure how I feel about the Purple Penguin pamphlet, need to give it more thought. But, I most definitely wouldn't overreact by saying this particular gender inclusiveness format smacks of a "predisposition to zoophilia."

I agree. If this is about transgender, then maybe they should start having some subjects on it put in the curriculum. Education is the key to teaching about things.

I still think the purple penguin stuff is unnecessary.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree. If this is about transgender, then maybe they should start having some subjects on it put in the curriculum. Education is the key to teaching about things.
It might even be damaging in its avoidance of gender issues.
Trans kids are compatible with gender identity in school.
The trick is for the schools to be thoughtful, & to let the
kid use his/her appropriate identity.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Absolutely. I'll let the teachers and school districts decide age appropriate curriculum. Hopefully, parents are involved and have a say as well.

I feel as though I don't know the whole story behind this pamphlet. I think it's quite possible (duh) it was used to start a fire....this motive works wonders these days.