• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's a home?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Is it a place where your loved ones are? Somewhere you crash for the night? A place to keep all your stuff? What makes a home a home?

Aqualung

Tasty
I think it's a combination of 3 things - family, stuff, and lenth of time. I'm here in a dorm with all my stuff, but it's not home. When me and my family stay in a hotel, it's not home. When we first move into a house, it's not home. The combination of those 3 things make a home.

Chimowowo

Jensa said:
Is it a place where your loved ones are? Somewhere you crash for the night? A place to keep all your stuff? What makes a home a home?
I think you need to diffrentiate between 'a home' and 'your home'. A home can be anything and is made a home when someone decides to make it a home. You can declare a box or a car a home, and it can be such. That doesn't make it not a box or not a car though.

However what makes a home 'your home' is mostly seen as the primary place in which you stay.

Like aqua lung said...he's in a dorm but it's not his home. He may spend most of his time there, but it's not his primary place...I would guess for him it's back with his family. Also with those people I know that have more than 1 house, they tend to keep 1 as the home where they stay, and the others are extra, or seasonal, or whatever it becomes. Conversly a bum might make a corner in an alley his home. It is his home even though he has no family or things it's just the place where he makes his primary residence.

Arkangel

I am Darth Vader
For me home is where my family is. Where i feel comfortable and cozy. It is filled with love and warmth. Anything where you just stay and you feel nothing of the above for me seems to a just a house in which i live.

A home is where your heart is.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Arkangel said:
For me home is where my family is. Where i feel comfortable and cozy. It is filled with love and warmth. Anything where you just stay and you feel nothing of the above for me seems to a just a house in which i live.

A home is where your heart is.
Sounds about right; where my family is, where I can feel comfortable, cosy, and if I want to, I can walk around in pijamas. The love and warmth are important; somehow when I am on my own, there seems to be some part of me missing.......:eek:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Home" used to be a term denoting the region or dwelling where one felt grounded, comfortable and "at home."
Recently, however, it has lost it's original meaning and become a synonym for "house."
I'm sometimes asked if I own my own home, or whether I'm a "homeowner."
How can one own a psychological abstract? I can own a house, but I could never own a home.

English speakers used to make fun of the French because they had no term for "home." We're starting to look a bit silly these days, aren't we?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Since I've moved so much, home has always had to have been wherever I happen to be. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but I would love for it to one day be one permanant place.

For me, though (non-sentimental people might want to turn aside from the following), RF is my home.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I feel a home is a place were you live at and you feel comfortable, relaxed, and your able to be yourself.
For me, even a small one room apartment would be more of a home than the house I live in right now with my mom.

Flappycat

I still like my own explanation best. Having a home is like having your own tiny, little kingdom. Isn't it? The closer you are to being head of the royal family, the more at home you feel.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As they say "Home is where the Heart is."
I have moved house many times, only a few have become real homes.

Terry

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I have been quite 'hurt' by the fact that my younger son (who has just spent 5 months in Spain as part of his language degree) keeps referring to Spain as 'home' even though he is 'at home'.

He was right out of 'tourist' trail - in a little valley, where time has not caught up with reality yet. He just loved the people, the lifestyle - my goodness, he could write a book abouth the town where he was - except no one would believe the half of it.

Kowalski

Jensa said:
Can also be a living hell, especially when you loathe your family, when a divorce battle is under way, could be good, I've known all. All depends on the circumstances in which you find yourself....

Cheers

K

Aqualung

Tasty
Flappycat said:
I still like my own explanation best. Having a home is like having your own tiny, little kingdom. Isn't it? The closer you are to being head of the royal family, the more at home you feel.
I disagree with that. I always knew what my home was when I was little, and I didn't get to rule over anything.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Aqualung said:
I disagree with that. I always knew what my home was when I was little, and I didn't get to rule over anything.
I can just hear you saying that.:biglaugh:

Ardent Listener

FeathersinHair said:
Since I've moved so much, home has always had to have been wherever I happen to be. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but I would love for it to one day be one permanant place.

For me, though (non-sentimental people might want to turn aside from the following), RF is my home.
That's beautiful feathers.:) And don't worry, I believe that there will be a permanant place of all of us together. I just hope we can still debate there.:162: