• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you think/expect if you read the following?

Tasha

I reiterate.....seriously....

Star Trek was one episode after another
one series after another
all about exploring new civilizations
while at the same time ...being civil

which means.......spiritual drives that keep in check
all of the differences that would keep us apart

maybe most of the participants here are not Trek'ies...
but I just love the stuff

the writers were soooooo clever
they understood what we humans find interesting.....'fascinating'
and display such notions through characters we can relate to

I dare say.....the 'dogma' of Star Trek is spiritually .....'fascinating'

and thanks for the 'funny' approvals

I did not watch much tv growing up. Saw a few episodes as a young kid but not much as an adult. Will def revisit during the deep winter months when the eves are looong!

Tasha

Thanks to everyone for the impressions, input on terms, punctuation and grammar!

To put it in context, we are a location of the Centers for Spiritual Living. We are part of the New Thought movement.

Our founder, Ernest Holmes, started the Institute for Religious Science and School of Philosophy in Los Angeles in 1927. Over time people wanted a "church" so he finally caved and thus began our life as a church. Ernest Holmes is credited with coining the phrase "Change your thinking, change your life."

Our location in Ohio is 71 years old now. We are in the process of evaluating our mission and overhauling our website/internet presence and so forth.

Here is one of the videos from our home office if you are interested.

Thanks for the input, it was good to read! Some of it made me laugh, which is always good!

shawn001

I reiterate.....seriously....

Star Trek was one episode after another
one series after another
all about exploring new civilizations
while at the same time ...being civil

which means.......spiritual drives that keep in check
all of the differences that would keep us apart

maybe most of the participants here are not Trek'ies...
but I just love the stuff

the writers were soooooo clever
they understood what we humans find interesting.....'fascinating'
and display such notions through characters we can relate to

I dare say.....the 'dogma' of Star Trek is spiritually .....'fascinating'

and thanks for the 'funny' approvals

I am a really big fan of Star Trek and its inspiration on humanity.

Just FYI, however

"
Religion in Star Trek

Introduction
Religion seems to be largely absent from the futuristic and secular world of the Federation and in particular from human society. Star Trek's takes on religious topics are often critical, and they almost routinely close with a victory of science over faith. This is anything but a surprise, knowing that Gene Roddenberry was an active atheist who struggled against any form of religion:

"I condemn false prophets, I condemn the effort to take away the power of rational decision, to drain people of their free will -- and a hell of a lot of money in the bargain. Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain."(Gene Roddenberry)

In a Q&A session executive producer Brannon Braga was asked whether there was supposed to be a deity in the stories that he wrote. He said:

"No, there was no consideration in giving humans, talking about God, or talking about those types of things. We wanted to avoid it to be quite frank. But we did very often explore theology through alien characters. Which frankly is much more interesting anyway. Whether it was the Bajorans and their religion or the Borg and their religion. They had the religion of perfection. That, I think, was more interesting. We want to keep Star Trek secular. The human facet of Star Trek secular." (Brannon Braga, transcript from his former website)

Ex Astris Scientia - Religion in Star Trek

Gene Roddenberry himself is said to have rejected the idea of religion lasting into Humanity's future. Ronald D. Moorecommented regarding the fate of specific religions in Trek history: "Gene felt very strongly that all of our contemporary Earth religions would be gone by the 23rd century, and while few of us around here actually share that opinion, we feel that we should leave this part of the Trek universe alone." (AOL chat, 1997) "It was a core tenet of Gene's Trek." (AOL chat, 1997)

Brannon Braga said that "In Gene Roddenberry's imagining of the future [...] religion is completely gone. Not a single Human being on Earth believes in any of the nonsense that has plagued our civilization for thousands of years. This was an important part of Roddenberry's mythology. He, himself, was a secular humanist and made it well-known to writers ofStar Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation that religion and superstition and mystical thinking were not to be part of his universe. On Roddenberry's future Earth, everyone is an atheist. And that world is the better for it." [1](X)

Ponder This

We are an inclusive dogma free community exploring personal spirituality and fostering compassionate conscious living.

Many thanks on any feedback about what comes to mind from reading this!

A group of people who aren't certain what spirituality is, and so is interested in exploring what that actually is by including multiple perspectives. Although they have no dogma, they have a belief in compassion that they think should apply to their lives in a definite way.

"inclusive dogma free" indicates a rebellion against the accepted dogmas of other religious or spiritual groups and a willingness to accept those who reject the dogmas of other groups, regardless of what group it is that you reject.
"personal spirituality" indicates that the individual doesn't need to share a common spiritual bond with other people or have a spirituality that is defined by a group.
"fostering compassionate conscious living" indicates moral values and the existence of a proper way to live that needs to be actively pursued.

Maybe the group wants everyone live however they want to live and everyone to just get along; everyone should be nice without moral judgment about personal actions.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We are an inclusive dogma free community exploring personal spirituality and fostering compassionate conscious living.

Drug addicts

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Pretty much these.

I like UU. But still...
Tom

The only uu i know is the unseen university, a fictional establishment for the supposed training of wizards in the diskworld series of books.

I guess you are not meaning that uu?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I am a really big fan of Star Trek and its inspiration on humanity.

Just FYI, however

"
Religion in Star Trek

Introduction
Religion seems to be largely absent from the futuristic and secular world of the Federation and in particular from human society. Star Trek's takes on religious topics are often critical, and they almost routinely close with a victory of science over faith. This is anything but a surprise, knowing that Gene Roddenberry was an active atheist who struggled against any form of religion:

"I condemn false prophets, I condemn the effort to take away the power of rational decision, to drain people of their free will -- and a hell of a lot of money in the bargain. Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain."(Gene Roddenberry)

In a Q&A session executive producer Brannon Braga was asked whether there was supposed to be a deity in the stories that he wrote. He said:

"No, there was no consideration in giving humans, talking about God, or talking about those types of things. We wanted to avoid it to be quite frank. But we did very often explore theology through alien characters. Which frankly is much more interesting anyway. Whether it was the Bajorans and their religion or the Borg and their religion. They had the religion of perfection. That, I think, was more interesting. We want to keep Star Trek secular. The human facet of Star Trek secular." (Brannon Braga, transcript from his former website)

Ex Astris Scientia - Religion in Star Trek

Gene Roddenberry himself is said to have rejected the idea of religion lasting into Humanity's future. Ronald D. Moorecommented regarding the fate of specific religions in Trek history: "Gene felt very strongly that all of our contemporary Earth religions would be gone by the 23rd century, and while few of us around here actually share that opinion, we feel that we should leave this part of the Trek universe alone." (AOL chat, 1997) "It was a core tenet of Gene's Trek." (AOL chat, 1997)

Brannon Braga said that "In Gene Roddenberry's imagining of the future [...] religion is completely gone. Not a single Human being on Earth believes in any of the nonsense that has plagued our civilization for thousands of years. This was an important part of Roddenberry's mythology. He, himself, was a secular humanist and made it well-known to writers ofStar Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation that religion and superstition and mystical thinking were not to be part of his universe. On Roddenberry's future Earth, everyone is an atheist. And that world is the better for it." [1](X)

I have heard about the disbelief in the mind of Star Trek's 'creator'

I always thought it to be ironic.....
a man not having belief displays in script how Man might react to life.....other than his own.....greater than his own

and script in subsequent series displays that interaction to even greater extent
not just advanced humanoids.....but life beyond the corporeal

Milton Platt

Without a good definition of spirituality, it doesn't say much.

sed79

sounds great,
I have joined