• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The tests he's doing have no right or wrong way to answer them.
Honesty is the best policy for answering any and all such worksheets and psychiatric testing.

The point was asking others for answers that he would answer himself. It depends on the test and who gives it. For example when I took my neuropsych I couldn't ask others for help. If it were a group exercise or as warren clarified just talking with staff,nothing formal, that's a bit different.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@Ray Warren, it’s about trust really. People have to earn your trust and they have to maintain it in order for you to divulge personal and private matters in the first place. But once that trust is betrayed, depending on the extent of the breach, it can be devastating. And you will probably never trust that person again. I guess it’s how you gauge your true friends. They really are a gift in life.....always having your best interests at heart.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
So I have a goal at the group home regarding understanding what to do in social situations...the staff at the group home decided to help work with me...I was to look at a scenario tell what I'd do...did pretty good but one threw me off...someone tells someone else something you asked to keep between each other what do you do? I still don't know what the appropriate response is to that. What would you do?
First you may feel surprised. Then depending on who it is less or more surprised. You may feel embarrassed if its embarrassing. You may feel threatened if this destabilizes you...perhaps making you feel lost or disoriented. Perhaps this changes what you were expecting of the friendship, in which case its common to feel less trusting towards everyone in general and not just towards the person. It makes you feel jaded, less likely to trust. You may feel general negative feelings and have thoughts like "It was stupid of me to trust them." or "They are goddamned jerks." Finally you may begin to feel rage, relief, sadness or possibly amusement.

Suppose its a 3 year old. They promised not to tell something, and its not actually important to you. You may just be amused.

Suppose its an adult, but the secret is not important to you. Then internally you will calculate if they thought it was important to you. This is a test people sometimes give to other people to see if they can trust you. They may even lie about something personal to see what you will do with the information, because they are already distrustful. They already feel threatened by new friends.

As you can see you may react in many different ways when someone reveals something private.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So I have a goal at the group home regarding understanding what to do in social situations...the staff at the group home decided to help work with me...I was to look at a scenario tell what I'd do...did pretty good but one threw me off...someone tells someone else something you asked to keep between each other what do you do? I still don't know what the appropriate response is to that. What would you do?

You pose such interesting questions. For me, it might help to understand to what degree the promise was meant to be. If I stared the person in the eye and said, 'Don't tell anyone' flat out, then sure, that would weaken any trust I'd have, and as others have said, you've learned not to share with that person. But I wouldn't confront them about it. (This has happened to me, and I think it does happen to almost everyone.) But sometimes the message to not share isn't so strong, it's more or less just assumed, which can be a naive thing to do. Be direct in the first place.)

Social skills are tough for most of us, but particularly challenging for some.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Training for social situations:

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Is Sheldon asexual?
He's a fictional composite of many people. Several of them probably are asexual. In the first few seasons at least he plays an asexual, but his main thing is being arrogant, avoidant, unintuitive, great with Math, clumsy, needy...generally just miraculously successful. In spite of so many mental anxieties he manages to have a good job as a Theoretical Physicist. There's a lot of room for comedy.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
What do you think of Sheldon? In your opinion, is he on the autism spectrum? (The producers would never come right out and say it, preferring it left unsaid, according to stuff I've read.)
Never seen the show just heard them call the guy Sheldon. What show is it anyway?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Hm. Well, initially, I don't really tell much that I don't want broadcast, because these things do happen. But, should this occur...

I would probably voice some amount of disapproval to the person I originally told("Hey, I was really disappointed you chose to share something confidential!"). But, from then out, what's done is done. I'd make a mental note not to share anything else of importance with that person again.

Ditto!

Heyo

Veteran Member
Never seen the show just heard them call the guy Sheldon. What show is it anyway?
The show is called "Big Bang Theory". I don't watch it but somehow stumbled over this clip. I thought it fitting as you mentioned social response tests and especially the beginning when they rehearse their emotional responses should be relatable to people with difficulties in social contexts.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In your opinion, is he on the autism spectrum?
No. That is more a caricature if he is.
Best I've seen, for higher functioning autism/Asperger's, is Data from Next Generation.
His seeking to understand human social things and how he understands things are things I can strongly relate to. As well as certain characteristics, such as a tendency to ramble on about everything he knows about something. His slowness to get humor is even very Aspie-like.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No. That is more a caricature if he is.
Best I've seen, for higher functioning autism/Asperger's, is Data from Next Generation.
His seeking to understand human social things and how he understands things are things I can strongly relate to. As well as certain characteristics, such as a tendency to ramble on about everything he knows about something. His slowness to get humor is even very Aspie-like.

So is the fascination with trains, from what I've heard. I worked with an Aspie. It was in a warehouse, and there was a level crossing about 3 blocks away. I guess it had a regular run because my co-worker would hear it, look at his watch, and pronounce it late or early. Of course I was totally oblivious to the idea that there even was a train track nearby.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As others have said, we probably have all gone through this, when you first discover that someone has passed on something you might have assumed they would keep to themselves - and would rather they had - but they didn't. Probably the first for me was when I was going through a rather unstable patch mentally, and not knowing where such was coming from, almost as if my personality or being was in jeopardy. I was subsequently looked upon as a dangerous alien seemingly by some others I knew, and it was obvious what had happened. It all eventually blew over, even if I took note not to be so open with those whom I thought I trusted. Too many are willing to analyse one on the flimsiest of knowledge (and ability or expertise) - and called judgement in so many others - when it might just be better to not be so judgmental, especially when so many go through such periods of mental health issues.