• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Lets say you sit in your livingroom with a glass of water and suddenly you see a fly that has fallen in to the water, it is still alive, but very wet. what do you do?

Saving it or let it die/empty the glass.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Throw the water down the sink with the fly and refill water. My justification? It picked the wrong glass of water to land in.

Axe Elf

Prophet
where is the compassion for other living beings?

My compassion for other living beings is pretty directly related to their level of sentience. A fly doesn't have much awareness, other than to get food and reproduce, and it's only going to live about a month in the best case scenario anyway. I don't look out for ants or other insects when I walk. When I get sick, I will kill bacteria indiscriminately. I probably wouldn't care about killing spiders that much, other than that they are useful tools for killing insects.

When you start to get up to things like fish and frogs and lizards and such, then I start to have a little more compassion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is killing flies a right action? or should i ask is killing ok to do to other living beings?
Killing other things is necessary to survive, eg, germs.
And there are different levels of life, which people value differently.
Some killing is easily accepted. Other killing, not so much.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Killing other things is necessary to survive, eg, germs.
And there are different levels of life, which people value differently.
Some killing is easily accepted. Other killing, not so much.

I am aware that we kill germs and so many times a day, but never with intention. I do not judge others for how they kill or not kill flies, but personally those insects or bugs i can save i do. i would never with intention kill any living beings.

Ellen Brown

Lets say you sit in your livingroom with a glass of water and suddenly you see a fly that has fallen in to the water, it is still alive, but very wet. what do you do?

Drink it, swallow the fly, it will die.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am aware that we kill germs and so many times a day, but never with intention. I do not judge others for how they kill or not kill flies, but personally those insects or bugs i can save i do. i would never with intention kill any living beings.
I save some bugs, often spiders.
But I kill others, eg, mosquitoes.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I sure do hope that that never happens but I probably wouldn't drink it. If I dump the whole thing outside the fly might live. I would let it live, though later, I might be sorry.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Is killing flies a right action? or should i ask is killing ok to do to other living beings?

You know those little black blobs on the food you left out, the tiny, tiny ones smaller than a pinhead? They are fly sh*t. Anyone or anything that sh*ts in my food deserves to die.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Well, I read houseflies live only 28 days; so, I'd empty my glass, wash it, and then refill it. I don't smash any bugs. With flies and bugs, I just pick them up if I can and flush them in the toilet (which is worse?)

When I was young, I used to (and still do ;) ) pick up spiders, roaches, etc with my hands like I'm picking up something that I dropped on the floor, toss it in the toilet, wash my hands, and fix something to eat.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A very few would think otherwise, but I do kill with intention mosquitoes for example. Also ticks. And from my understanding, snakes need to be killed by humans to move on their evolutionary path to higher forms.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

It depends on how cold it is. Normally, I'd trying to get it out of the water and send in on its way. But it's 3 degrees outside here right now, so the fellow would have to become a guest of the house, as throwing him outside would instantly freeze him into a hard black speck. So, in the house, as a health matter, he would have his karma reset by me. He'd be tossed outside to freeze. ;)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You know those little black blobs on the food you left out, the tiny, tiny ones smaller than a pinhead? They are fly sh*t. Anyone or anything that sh*ts in my food deserves to die.
Yes we do hve those here in Norway in summer too. All i can do is to be sure to pack the food in a good way and take out the trash, the if there still is flies i will try to get them out the window

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well, I read houseflies live only 28 days; so, I'd empty my glass, wash it, and then refill it. I don't smash any bugs. With flies and bugs, I just pick them up if I can and flush them in the toilet (which is worse?)

When I was young, I used to (and still do ;) ) pick up spiders, roaches, etc with my hands like I'm picking up something that I dropped on the floor, toss it in the toilet, wash my hands, and fix something to eat.
why not carry it outside so it can keep living?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But, they already did it. And, probably can't do it again to you.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes we do hve those here in Norway in summer too. All i can do is to be sure to pack the food in a good way and take out the trash, the if there still is flies i will try to get them out the window

I have no such tolerance for flies

House flies are strongly suspected of transmitting at least 65 diseases to humans, including typhoid fever, dysentery, cholera, poliomyelitis, yaws, anthrax, tularemia, leprosy and tuberculosis. Flies regurgitate and excrete wherever they come to rest and thereby mechanically transmit disease organisms.
House Flies (Department of Entomology)

Other insect creatures, bugs, spiders etc i will try to catch them safely and put them outside but not house flies (and not mosquitoes