• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do?

Melody

You're driving along and you see someone standing by the side of the road with a sign that says "Hungry - will work for food". What would you do?

I'm also interested in hearing your rationale for why you do what you do.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Melody said:
You're driving along and you see someone standing by the side of the road with a sign that says "Hungry - will work for food". What would you do?

Firstly, it would depend whether I was on my own in the car; if I wasn't, I might be afraid of the person having the intention to hyjack the car - I would have to put any passenger's safety before my wishes - whatever they are.

If I was on my own, I would probably want to stop, and take the guy/woman to a cafe, and buy him/her a good meal - I think my wife would be upset if I brought him home, because then, he would know where we live - but I wouldn't 'employ' someone to give him/her food - he would deserve food and be welcome to it without the need for payback.:)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'd probably do the same as Michel... only I might not pick the guy up if I didn't have some kind of pepper spray or some other way to defend myself with me (my mom's bugged me to death about being suspicious of hitchhikers and anyone standing by the road. Can't say I totally disagree--better safe than sorry), but I would go get him something to eat and drop it off with him.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I give as I can. However, I give purposely, and have extended my giving as far as I am comfortable with and so have little to spare to panhandlers. If there is a deformity/physical handicap then that's a different story.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I would go around and pick up some job applications. If the person is still standing around, I would hand them over and wish the best of luck.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jensa said:
I'd probably do the same as Michel... only I might not pick the guy up if I didn't have some kind of pepper spray or some other way to defend myself with me (my mom's bugged me to death about being suspicious of hitchhikers and anyone standing by the road. Can't say I totally disagree--better safe than sorry), but I would go get him something to eat and drop it off with him.
I wouldn't worry at all about your concerns, Jensa-- no one would blame you for being cautious.:)
You have given out too much Karma in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Melody

I don't mean to make anyone uncomfortable or to pass judgment! We all have a different purpose in life and have different gifts to give.

The only reason I brought this up is because on my way to work this morning, I passed a guy sitting at the end of the off ramp from the freeway. He was quite thin, dirty and unkempt and was holding a sign that said "Stranded vet" and something about being hungry. Can't remember the exact wording.

The few times I've passed up people like this, it weighed on my mind for years (still does) so I no longer pass them up. I sleep better at night. I feel guilty sometimes that I "throw money" at the problem instead of volunteering my time, but hey.... I figure God gave me a successful business for a reason and it wasn't so I could live in a quarter million dollar home and drive a BMW.

I envy people who have the time and the gift to offer themselves.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If I had some work to do I might try taking him up on his offer. If he declined I'd know he was scamming people and undeserving of charity.

If I had no work I needed help with I'd hand him a list of businesses around town with "Help wanted" signs in the windows.

If he were actually looking for a handout I'd have a lot more consideration for his situation if his sign simply read "please give me money!"

Melody

Seyorni said:
If he were actually looking for a handout I'd have a lot more consideration for his situation if his sign simply read "please give me money!"
I'm not sure what this sign said. I just saw "hungry" but I doubt he was looking for a job. I had the distinct impression that he wasn't wrapped too tight. He was talking to himself and behaving a bit odd. Reminded me of the street people the police used to bring into the psych hospital and who were later diagnosed as schizophrenic.

Melody said:

I would say a little blessing for their well being. But I wouldn't stop. As a wife, mom, and woman who couldn't protect herself...... It would be too much of a risk to stop. I do like the idea of picking up applications for them. ;) Sunday I was going to Waddy, Ky to see my long lost father. On the onramp I saw a man that had his thumb out. I was by myself and thought about picking him up. But then I thought, what if something happened. It doesn't matter that no one else is in the car. What if I never returned home?! I couldn't do that to my family. If something happened to me to cause my premature death it would tear my husband and my child apart. So nope, couldn't help him. Prayer is all I can offer.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Giving him some food will perpetuate his situation for a few more hours, but will not improve it.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Most but not all C of E parishes have a parish cupboard to keep food for peaple who come in off the street and knock on the parsons door. they will usuall be given a meal of sandwiches and fruit. and sent on their way. they are never given money.
my present parish does not do this but my previous two did.

Terry

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Seyorni said:
Giving him some food will perpetuate his situation for a few more hours, but will not improve it.
Actually, Terry, Seyorni has a point - hard as it seems. We have soup & food kitchens here in Bournemouth, but studies have shown that people become used to and dependent on them, and less likely to make any real effort to improve their lot.:(

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Melody said:

Several years ago here in Salt Lake City, a woman was faced with that decision. Since she wasn't driving at the time, but walking, she stopped and told the man that her husband could use someone to do some work around the house (roofing repairs, if I remember correctly) and that they would be willing to pay him for his work.

He came to the house, which was in a rather affluent Salt Lake neighborhood and worked there for less than one full day. Several months later, the family's fourteen-year old daughter was kidnapped from her bedroom in the middle of the night. She was taken to the mountains not far from their home, where she was repeated raped. She was then forced to go into hiding with the man who had kidnapped her and his wife. For roughly nine months, she lived on the streets, wearing clothing that covered everything but her eyes. She was not allowed to speak to anyone except to say that she was his daughter. He controlled her with threats against her family if she were to try to escape.

Finally, after an intense manhunt, God answered the prayers of her family. She was seen with her two captors near a shopping mall just south of Salt Lake City. Although she at first denied her true identity, she eventually broke down and took what, to her, must have seemed like a huge risk. She admitted that she was Elizabeth Smart, the young girl people throughout the United States assumed to have been brutally murdered.

It probably goes without saying that I would hesitate to give a stranger I met on the street work at my home. On the other hand, my Church has a humanitarian program designed to help the less fortunate throughout the world. I would probably suggest to a person who approached me looking for work that he contact Church Headquarters and ask to be directed to the Church Welfare Offices.

Duwayitheru

Id probably keep driving (okay, so I cant drive, so walking or biking or whatever). At least, id have to at this point in life. Things are pretty hard for me, I honestly have very little money to spare. Maybe if I had some food or something, id give them it (under the condition that it was in a populated area and I was sure nothing could happen to me). Id never bring a stranger back to my home, ever. I am also very careful to keep myself out of anything that may seem like it could be harmful to me.. if anything ever happened to me, well.. I couldnt put my fiance into a situation like that. Even if that means I have to be a little paranoid at times.. in these days, it might not be such a bad thing to be..

However.. I also know that in the area I live in there are a lot of programs around to help the homeless/poor. If they were really that hungry or in need of work, there are a lot of places that would help them. If anything, id be more likely to donate money/volunteer at one of these places than hand it out on the street.

Stormygale

In my city, I see this alot. You have to remember, that many of these vagrants on the street are there out of self-will. I have witnessed this too many times. I can name a few instances when people I know have offered these people jobs, and they turned tail and ran like they had saw the devil.
On the other hand, many are not in that same joyous state. Many are there out of addiction, and just pure hard luck.
I do not stop, though I remember once when I gave someone money who was standing on the corner. I am afraid for my life. Someone could be a criminal travelling across country or something. I fear the unknown. I will not risk getting robbed, my throat cut, and my lifeless body left along a road somewhere, jus' because I had a heart and helped someone out. No. Not me.

Melody

Katzpur said:
She admitted that she was Elizabeth Smart, the young girl people throughout the United States assumed to have been brutally murdered.
I was visiting a friend in SLC the week that this young girl went missing. Very sad situation. I never did hear what happened to the man. I'm assuming he's had his trial?

Melody

While I do have yard work I could hire people for, and can afford to do so, I won't put myself or my family at risk. However, I do drop a dollar or two(sometimes more if the spirit leads me) in their hat without making a judgment as to whether or not this person is worth helping. I don't know what brought them to their situation, and don't really care. Here's my motivation...

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
--Matthew 25:35-40

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Melody said:
While I do have yard work I could hire people for, and can afford to do so, I won't put myself or my family at risk. However, I do drop a dollar or two(sometimes more if the spirit leads me) in their hat without making a judgment as to whether or not this person is worth helping. I don't know what brought them to their situation, and don't really care. Here's my motivation...

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
--Matthew 25:35-40
Hi, Melody.

You have quoted what are probably among my very favorite verses from the New Testament. The Book of Mormon says something kind of similar. I hope I won't be considered pushy for posting from it. I just think it expresses my feelings pretty well:

Mosiah 4:16-22 And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish. Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just -- But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.

For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind? And behold, even at this time, ye have been calling on his name, and begging for a remission of your sins. And has he suffered that ye have begged in vain? Nay; he has poured out his Spirit upon you, and has caused that your hearts should be filled with joy, and has caused that your mouths should be stopped that ye could not find utterance, so exceedingly great was your joy. And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye ought to impart of the substance that ye have one to another.

And if ye judge the man who putteth up his petition to you for your substance that he perish not, and condemn him, how much more just will be your condemnation for withholding your substance, which doth not belong to you but to God, to whom also your life belongeth; and yet ye put up no petition, nor repent of the thing which thou hast done.

God bless,
Kathryn