1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lightkeeper, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Lightkeeper

Lightkeeper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    While grocery shopping today, I saw an elderly man drop a whole container of strawberries. All of them rolled across the floor. He picked them up, put them back in the container and placed them on the shelf for someone else to buy. I didn't say anything to him, but I couldn't just forget it and let some unsuspecting person buy those strawberries. I took the container to a clerk and told her they had been on the floor. She gave me a funny look. I asked if she would want to buy them. She said it wouldn't bother her a bit. I think that was a wrong answer for an employee. It made me wonder what the health standards are in that store. Anyway, what would you have done?

• Like Like x 1
  2. baby

baby New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I would tell the boss of the store what you saw and what you thought about it. you did a good thing. bye baby

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lookingformeaning

Lookingformeaning Active Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I think you did the right thing, but I would have defintely gone to the boss. That is ridiculous. And really gross. That employee should be fired, because if she has the attitude (not to mention health issues lol) she should not be working in a store where you handle foods etc. LFM :)

4. angellous_evangellous

Ratings:
    +0
    I would have bought the strawberries, washed them, and made dessert. Life goes on, man. If you were really frugal, you probrably could have gotten them for half price. Do you honestly think that the strawberries have been pampered from the farm to the store? I used to work in a grocery store... and there are a bazillion things that you just shouldn't know about your food, particualrly the deli and meat market :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree that the guy was being a jerk. He possibly put the berries in question back and picked an innocent-looking package. What he doesn't know is the entire crate of berries had been sprayed with the same pesticide, rode in an open-aired truck, and quite possibly passed through several very dirty hands before making it to market. That's why mom says to wash fresh veggies and fruits before devouring. Have fun!!

EDIT: Incidentally, the employee and myself would have bought the berries. If she really wanted to be a smart-alek she could have washed the berry and ate it right in front of you. I would if you were being really smart! ROFL!!:jiggy: However, this practice would be bad for business!!

5. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +559
    I would have found a manager and explained the situation to him/her. That is totally unacceptable.

6. Green Gaia

Green Gaia Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,920
    I would have taken the item to a store employee... and if they reacted the way that one did, that would be my last trip to that store.

7. Scuba Pete

Scuba Pete Le plongeur avec attitude...

Ratings:
    +3,192
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    I would have also bought the strawberries. They came from the dirt... how much more "contaminated" could they be on the floor???

BTW, they might have been protected by the 10 second rule (or 30 second rule in some areas). On a campout, any food item retrieved within 10 seconds of hitting the ground is not considered dirty, unless sand sticks to it! :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Saw11_2000

Saw11_2000 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +132
    In mass it's the five second rule, but it doesn't count for liquidy substances/gelatins/or in high traffic areas.

Or maybe that's just me. :)

9. The Voice of Reason

The Voice of Reason Doctor of Thinkology

Ratings:
    +1,224
    As a kid, growing up poor in the rural south, we had the following rule for any food that was dropped:

You picked up the food (especially if it was candy), held it up to the sky for a two count and then ate it. The two count was to give God time to kiss it and take away all the germs!!!

TVOR

• Like Like x 1
  10. robtex

robtex Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,147
    Netdoc is killing me that is so funny! Really of all the things that can go bad in a day dirt smitten strawberrys doens't seem so bad. One could always be a rebel and run them under the sink before consumption......

11. No*s

No*s Captain Obvious

Ratings:
    +471
    In your position quite possibly buy them (to put them away), or exactly what you did.

In the employee's position, I would remove them from circulation entirely.

12. kreeden

kreeden Virus of the Mind

Ratings:
    +246
    I have seen store owners pick things up off the floor ... and depending upon what they were , I may still shop there . :) One should always wash berries and fruit .

BTW I have worked in frozen food plants also . And trust me , you don't want to know what goes into jams , ice cream , and the like .... I wouldn't eat strawberries for years afterwards .

13. Jaymes

Jaymes The cake is a lie

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Uh oh, please tell me the south isn't the only part of the US that has the five second rule... because I would have eaten those strawberries... ;)

14. Lightkeeper

Lightkeeper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    He was an old man, It took him more than 5 seconds to realize what had happened and about a minute to bend over. He had to chase several rolling berries.:)

15. michel

michel Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,656
    I know it isn't the answer, but I would probably do what NetDoc said he'd do, but I would'nt dare because of my wife's reaction.

I am a firm believer in the 'a bit of dirt a day builds up your immunity system' if that addage does exist. Couple that with an obsession not to see bits of things lying on the carpet, and if it looks like a recognizable bit of food, I'll pick it up and eat it!( Much to the combined distgust and amusement of my family) - trouble is, sometimes I make mistakes !!!!!:jiggy:

16. retrorich

retrorich SUPER NOT-A-MOD

Ratings:
    +497
    I think you did the right thing with the strawberries. But I would not suggest complaining to the manager about the employee. Putting a person's job in jeopardy is a dangerous thing. There is always the possibility that the employee could come after you seeking revenge. It wouldn't be worth the risk over a container of strawberries. Anyone who eats produce without washing it first is very foolish.