• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would the world look like if religions became friends?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Maybe you misunderstood my words, I do not say one is better than the other, i say, to gain the best spiritual result out of the teachings it is important to only follow one teaching at the time. if we include many teachings in to our practice, how do we know what teaching we actually follow? And if we were to realize enlightenment, form what teaching did we enlighten? so in my understanding, only one teaching or cultivation path at a time.
I did understand you very well:).

I was just pointing to the core of the problem, which is "superiority feeling"

When this is ditched, then I agree, that for most people it is good to stick to one path at a time.
And then automatically the problem "mixing Scriptures", becomes a non-problem

Stick to one path, I call concentration; the first step towards meditation
Digging many holes to get water is not smart, better dig deep

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Hi. I’ve just recently established friends with some incredible Catholics. I go to mass with them sometimes. They come over we eat and they even painted my door!! I’m tired of the stigma people have invented about people from other faiths as they are just people like you and me and beautiful people at that.

The only way I believe to end this stigmatising and demonising is to mix and mingle as equals and love one another and that, will eventually remove prejudices.

I recently had the privilege of having dinner with a visiting Bishop from India and two priests and they were so warm and welcoming and we served them dinner.

Great to hear you are enjoying it as much as I am.
Thank you, and well said, imo.

stvdv

One humanity means:
We are all different but we are part of one circle; that is fine.
We all agree to that (in an ideal world).

2. In order to achieve this above, no one is in the middle of circle; no one needs to be.

We do not need anyone to be in the middle to have peace.
True. Maybe 1 in the middle to tell all "stay out of the middle" (no more no less)

4. In order to have peace per your OP in humanity, NO ONE can be in the middle of circle. We must learn how to make union among our differences without compromising our faith "and of others" to do so.

It is hard, yes. That's why people need prophets, manifestations, saviors, and the like. AND it's not impossible.
Yes. Unity in Diversity. All keep their own religions/rituals without judging about other's Religion being more/less valid

It's not hard at all. It's much harder to hold onto the lie "My Religion is the best"
If you can accept "My Religion is equally valid as all other (non)faith", life becomes so much easier
Like holding on to a 10 kg stone in your hand ... much easier to just let it go, then keep on holding it

But the way to have peace is to respect this disagreement
Don't accuse others they are wrong for not needing a savior
Do not say people are practicing old beliefs thereby contributing to disorder

Since you cannot do that per your religion, how do you find peace without telling people they are wrong?

(You don't have to say "you are wrong" itself. It's in all abrahamic religions and most honest ones actually admit that respectively)
True. They have been brainwashed hard this way; it became like hard-wired. Not easy to reverse. Eventually Truth will win anyway.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
We have to get rid of religious animosity. WE CAN DO IT!!! :)
How do you do it when some religions tell their people that everyone else is irreligious or following a false religion and are being deluded by the devil? Loverofhumanity is on the right track, but some Baha'is are also too stuck on pushing their view that they have the "only" truth that is right for today. All other religions were true, but have had their day and are no longer relevant to the problems in today's world. Which maybe true, but it's going to get some people upset when they are told that their religion doesn't work anymore. So what happens? They push back and question the validity of the Baha'i claims. And besides, I think the other religions are not stuck in the past but are adapting to the changing times.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I already believe in Jesus and the Bible as the Word of God so there’s nothing to convert me to.

Oh, a Christian!

Your profile of "Religion: Baha'i Faith" was misleading.

Not misleading. We Baha’is accept Jesus and the Bible as the Word of God.

Not the current word of God, because the current word is with Bahaollah. Who do you want to make fool of?
Loverofhumanity, it is misleading. Even within Christianity Jesus gets defined differently. The Baha'i Jesus is dead. He didn't come back to life. His Spirit is alive, but.... who's spirit isn't alive? Jesus is not God. He is one of many manifestations of God. There are many other Christian doctrines and beliefs that Baha'is don't believe are true. Like Satan. Like the resurrection. Like Ishmael, not Isaac, taken to be sacrificed. Like a literal belief in the Flood and Creation and many, many more. And like Aupmanyav says, Baha'is have come to correct those wrong doctrines and beliefs of Christianity. You believe you have the current and true teachings from God.

So how do you tell the truth about Baha'i beliefs without causing some people to get upset over it? You can't ignore what you believe. You are told to go teach it. And, after you do, and get people mad at you, how do you keep the friendship going? I've been in the position where I was being told by Baha'is and Christians what the "truth" was. It's sad, but I found new friends.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
IMO:
There is only 1 problem in the world (of Religions):

Thinking their Religion/Scripture is superior and therefore thinking the other's Religion/Scripture is inferior
I disagree.
The single biggest problem is religionists thinking that their beliefs are objectively true, as opposed to subjective truth.

By objective truth, I mean beliefs that are true for everyone. By subjective truth I mean beliefs that are true for the believer.

Empirical evidence is how rational people distinguish between the two forms of truth.
Tom

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Without god?

Also. Isn't there two types of peace in Bahai?
If so, can you have one without the other and call it true peace?

I believe that the highest form of peace humanity can attain is through belief in God but that must come voluntarily from the heart and is the choice of each person individually and cannot be legislated or enforced.

The other peace, still far better than what we have ever experienced is peace based on our common humanity and will involve laws such as human rights and be adopted by people’s and governments. War will be outlawed. World disarmament will take place and the interests of humanity will be put first above the interest of any nation. The world will be as one country with mankind it’s citizens. Expenditures previously for war will be invested in people and assuring education for all, Medicare for all and education, a home and work for everyone so that none go without. But this in stages not overnight.

So there are two kinds of peace, one earthly, the other heavenly.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
...So imagine then. What would our world look like on the ground if all religions became friends?
This (Roman Catholicism), with Papacy in charge:

iu

...and for the real religion of God (Revelation 12:17, 14:6-12), it could not be included, but will always be excluded, and so this:

Joh_16:2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

Rev 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Rev 13:15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.​

Truth cannot abide error, and error cannot abide truth. The two will never mix.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Right, and therefore, stop quoting Bahaollah. Bahaollah means nothing for the majority of people. You are just a minuscule part of humanity. Don't harbor, don't encourage the tendency of being 'holier than thou'. That will only distance people from you.Not the current word of God, because the current word is with Bahaollah. Who do you want to make fool of?

My diversity must be respected too. If I accept that you are Hindu I cannot tell you to not put the Hindu designation in your description because that would not be accepting your diversity. Once we suppress the expression of diversity it becomes uniformity.

Humanity is like a garden of varied coloured and shaped flowers each having its own beauty. You are a Hindu flower, I am a Baha’i one and we both have our own distinct beauty. There is no reason to say to the Hindu or Baha’i flower ‘ I don’t want to see you, go away stop showing your beauty ‘ That is unfair and unjust.

We just need to accept that we each are different and not expect the other to relinquish his diversity because diversity is one thing we all have in common.

There is no superiority as far as I’m concerned. You and I are both equal humans and so we need to be forbearing and tolerant as this is what all religions and mystics teach. I consider myself the lowest and just a servant nothing else.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I think, that is the only way to Peace in the world (or at least a major step)

This is only possible if people can let go their arrogance to believe that there Religion is superior than other Religions
As long as people hold on to this notion "my Religion is superior" there is no genuine friendliness; just some show
(Of course it's okay to say "For me, my Religion is the best"; as long as you know and think, that it's just for you)

Hi stvdv. I think you are spot on. Religion to me is all about loving and serving others and being friendly and kind to all but the ego says ‘ I am number one, I am superior’ and so many wonderful people sadly fall into this deep pit of wanting to be number one instead of just loving all as equal brothers and sisters.

God we with you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe that the highest form of peace humanity can attain is through belief in God but that must come voluntarily from the heart and is the choice of each person individually and cannot be legislated or enforced.

The other peace, still far better than what we have ever experienced is peace based on our common humanity and will involve laws such as human rights and be adopted by people’s and governments. War will be outlawed. World disarmament will take place and the interests of humanity will be put first above the interest of any nation. The world will be as one country with mankind it’s citizens. Expenditures previously for war will be invested in people and assuring education for all, Medicare for all and education, a home and work for everyone so that none go without. But this in stages not overnight.

Which one are you talking about in the thread?

Do they compliment each other?

stvdv

Hi stvdv. I think you are spot on. Religion to me is all about loving and serving others and being friendly and kind to all but the ego says ‘ I am number one, I am superior’ and so many wonderful people sadly fall into this deep pit of wanting to be number one instead of just loving all as equal brothers and sisters.

God we with you.
Hi, LoverOfHumanity,

YES. And this is indeed a "deep pit". That is why I always first search for a verse telling us to be humble. Luckily the Bible is full of it. But even more impact it makes, if someone, you really Love and Admire, tells you "drop this attitude my son, that is not the attitude of a Spiritual Seeker".

That is why a personal living Guru has a great advantage. Ego gets no chance to escape, unless you run away from your Guru:D

Once I did run away from my Master, after 2 years and 11 month; ticket expired, and I needed a new visa, so followed common sense and took advantage of the situation to return to Holland for visa. Sai Baba came in my dream and said "Your desire, not my plan". Just 5 words. 1 year before I tried to get away and He told me "You will regret it for many years". That sounded worse (even 7 words, so much more urgent that time; usually he gave only a few words, like 3 or so), hence I stayed 1 extra year. But this time I felt safe to leave.

Next time I came, one of the first things He told me was "If you come to your Guru, you need to stay at least 3 years". Oh my God, I thought. I left 1 month too early. So I started new, and stayed this time 3.5 years (He helped me to get a 5 year visa this time, so I had not 1 reason to leave the country for even a day). I had to do it all over; no discount. And I did not take any chances this time, so I stayed 6 month extra; and it was hard, as I was sick much of the time, that I stayed with Him. But the moment I left the ashram I was cured (most of the time instantly, when stepping out of the gate).

Afterwards, I was very glad, that He granted me those extra 3.5 years (was very hard to stay that long at that moment though), but looking back the most valuable time of my life.

Real Gurus are tough, they don't give it easy. Never I had to pay or do anything (except follow ashram rules), only asking me to stay 3 years. Coming back to Holland, coincidentally, I even found a verse in the Bible telling about the same number "3 years" to stay with your Master. All Scriptures have similar things hidden in them. Wonderful to find these.

I always look for "unity" (similar wisdom) in "Diversity" (different Scriptures). When I find these, there is common ground, giving opportunities to create "a world where religions become friends".:). I try not to focus on differences. Mutual true respect is essential though.

Last edited:

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus

God we with you.
Yeah, that pesky thing about Truth, it is always Truth, and never Error, and Error is always Error and never Truth:

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.​

As for all being equal brothers and sisters, Jesus said:

Joh_8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.​

Jesus said:

Mat_12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
Jesus said:

Mat_7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.​

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I believe that the highest form of peace humanity can attain is through belief in God ..
Beg to differ. Don't tell that to an atheist.
Furthermore, I do not believe in existence of heaven. Why are you steam-rolling views of people like me? That does not lead to peace.
My diversity must be respected too.
Your diversity will be respected if you respect the diversity of others. But you say Jesus is not son of God, Mohammad is not the final messenger, Krishna is not an avatara, and Buddha is a manifestation of Allah when he never said he said that such a divinity existed. Why are you slighting the diversity of others and saying that Bahaollah alone is the current manifestation of Allah? Why do you expect respect when you do not respect our views?

Last edited:

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Hey guys! The title I really wanted but it wouldn’t fit was...

“What would the world look like if the followers of all religions consorted with each other in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship”? (Baha’u’llah) What would it look like on the ground?

One example I know of is a recent and current experience .........

A few months ago we met a couple of beautiful Catholics who have become close friends. They visit us daily and we go out with them and to mass also sometimes. Neither of us has encroached upon the others right to practice their own faith and beliefs while both visiting each other’s churches unasked. We love mixing with them and going to mass with them and they also have occasionally visited the Baha’i Temple in Sydney.

We get invited to birthdays and they are always bringing food to us. And we have met dozens more wonderful people through them. Also we have made good friends with the local priest and we have become collaborators instead of competitors.

I am finding that the effect goodwill between religions produces is amazing and from this personal experience I am led to believe that it’s not happening because we, human beings are not trying hard enough to make it happen.

If we don’t make a deliberate effort to improve relations between religions, races and nationalities then who is and how is the world going to become a better place if we don’t make the effort?

I believe it’s up to you and me to change our world through being free from prejudice and becoming a true friend to all humanity and if we don’t do it that nothing will change.

What do you think? Can we change our world if we all become lovers of all humanity and religions by our actions and not just words?

So imagine then. What would our world look like on the ground if all religions became friends?

What, I've encountered all this before. Now let me think, oh, I got it now!!

They are only trying to CONVERT you! And so long as you keep going to their church services and listen to them telling you over, and over, and over... about THEIR Catholic religion, they will be your "friends".

And if you doubt what I'm saying, then tell them that you do not want to go to THEIR church services or talk about religion anymore, and see how quickly they discard you.

I already believe in Jesus and the Bible as the Word of God so there’s nothing to convert me to. I myself have initiated all church visits by requesting to visit.

I had to come back to this because it undermines the entire premise of your opening post on this "What would the world look like if religions became friends?" thread.

Because you admitted that you are not strictly of the "Baha'i Faith" as your profile claims, but a "Baha'i/Christian". So your opening post is bogus. You are not reaching out and becoming "friends" with people of ANOTHER religion, but just someone WITH YOUR OWN religious beliefs.

So why the deception?

Did you do it to make yourself look good to others?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Because you admitted that you are not strictly of the "Baha'i Faith" as your profile claims, but a "Baha'i/Christian". So your opening post is bogus. You are not reaching out and becoming "friends" with people of ANOTHER religion, but just someone WITH YOUR OWN religious beliefs.

So why the deception?

Did you do it to make yourself look good to others?
Baha'is are not strictly of the "Baha'i Faith" since we believe that all religions are true and all religions were revealed by the one true God. We believe that the only reason religions differ from one another from age to age is because of the varying requirements of the ages in which they were promulgated.

“The Purpose of the one true God, exalted be His glory, in revealing Himself unto men is to lay bare those gems that lie hidden within the mine of their true and inmost selves. That the divers communions of the earth, and the manifold systems of religious belief, should never be allowed to foster the feelings of animosity among men, is, in this Day, of the essence of the Faith of God and His Religion. These principles and laws, these firmly-established and mighty systems, have proceeded from one Source, and are the rays of one Light. That they differ one from another is to be attributed to the varying requirements of the ages in which they were promulgated.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 287-288

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Baha'is are not strictly of the "Baha'i Faith" since we believe that all religions are true and all religions were revealed by the one true God. We believe that the only reason religions differ from one another from age to age is because of the varying requirements of the ages in which they were promulgated.

“The Purpose of the one true God, exalted be His glory, in revealing Himself unto men is to lay bare those gems that lie hidden within the mine of their true and inmost selves. That the divers communions of the earth, and the manifold systems of religious belief, should never be allowed to foster the feelings of animosity among men, is, in this Day, of the essence of the Faith of God and His Religion. These principles and laws, these firmly-established and mighty systems, have proceeded from one Source, and are the rays of one Light. That they differ one from another is to be attributed to the varying requirements of the ages in which they were promulgated.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 287-288

Geez...

WHY do you keep stalking me and butting in with all your "out in left field" fake replies???

This gobbledygook has nothing to do with his deception. He opened this thread pretending he was being friends of "another" religion the Christian religion. Then he later admits that he is a Christian. So he's NOT being friends with someone of ANOTHER religion, but the SAME religion. Can you comprehend that???!!!

Stop butting with your baseless attacks just because you failed to accept my challenge because your "messenger" is not from any "god" so has no true spiritual answers to give anyone, just gobbledygook meant to bedazzle and confuse everyone. You lost. Now go away!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Geez...

WHY do you keep stalking me and butting in with all your "out in left field" fake replies???

This gobbledygook has nothing to do with his deception. He opened this thread pretending he was being friends of "another" religion the Christian religion. Then he later admits that he is a Christian. So he's NOT being friends with someone of ANOTHER religion, but the SAME religion. Can you comprehend that???!!!
Baha'is believe in Jesus but the Christian religion is not the SAME as the Baha'i religion.
Can you comprehend that???!!!
Stop butting with your baseless attacks just because you failed to accept my challenge because your "messenger" is not from any "god" so has no true spiritual answers to give anyone, just gobbledygook meant to bedazzle and confuse everyone. You lost. Now go away!
I did not lose anything because I never set out to win anything.

Nobody attacked you. You are the one attacking everyone on this forum so what you do is called Psychological projection.

Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is habitually rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude. It incorporates blame shifting.

Psychological projection - Wikipedia

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Baha'is believe in Jesus but the Christian religion is not the SAME as the Baha'i religion.
Can you comprehend that???!!!

I did not lose anything because I never set out to win anything.

Nobody attacked you. You are the one attacking everyone on this forum so what you do is called Psychological projection.

Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is habitually rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude. It incorporates blame shifting.

Psychological projection - Wikipedia

Geez...

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Which one are you talking about in the thread?

Do they compliment each other?

At this point in history we are much closer to what we term the Lesser Peace as opppsed to true brotherhood which we call the Most Great Peace. One is the political unification of humanity, the other is unity of hearts which will take a lot longer to realise.