1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What would Jesus do, a question for Republican's

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Lyndon, Sep 28, 2017.

1. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Active Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +152
    If you are already paying for insurance, there is no way that you got charged for not signing up for Obamacare. The insurance company is supposed to give you a form that you give to the IRS, so you won't get charged.

You want to be a Christian by 'wanting people to be poverty free', but you don't want the government to help them - very unChristian. I am not sure what 'thumb' is on some person who has a serious illness and no money to pay for treatment. You basically don't think a poor person deserves something - treatment or even food, when he has not 'earned' it and paid for it. I think you will have a lot of explaining to do when the Christ returns - I hope he buys your argument.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. David1967

David1967 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,945
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yeah. He was a cantankerous old codger.

3. Enoch07

Enoch07 It's all a sick freaking joke.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Religion:
    Theistic Rationalist-Christian
    Luckily they refunded it after I raised hell about it. But it took a year to get my money back.

No, your misrepresenting what I have said. The problem is poverty. If we help them out of poverty they no longer need help, with medical cost. They will be able to afford insurance like everyone else. It is a long term solution.

How you translate that into how I don't care or how I think they don't deserve it already tells me how disingenuous you are being. Because I am presenting a solution that you are not only flat out ignoring, but are then misrepresenting as malice. And you think I am the uncaring one? Give me a break.

4. soulsurvivor

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Of course if you get them out of poverty, they will be able to afford healthcare. But until they do that, they still need treatment and food. Which is why the government needs to help them until they get out of poverty. The time from being poor and then able afford healthcare, is not instantaneous - it could be years. The republican position is that the poor should do without food and healthcare in that time period, otherwise they will get used to getting something for nothing. Nobody said to stop looking for a longterm solution. But until it is solved, republicans want the poor person to starve or go without healthcare.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Enoch07

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Religion:
    We have programs to help already. Thats been established. We need to focus on programs to move forward and break poverty long term. This is what is lacking.

#45 Enoch07, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  6. soulsurvivor

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Healthcare is so expensive that there almost 30 million who can not afford it without some subsidy. That is why Obamacare was created. These are the people republicans don't want to give Obamacare subsidies to (they also want drop some people who are getting Medicaid).

BTW, the children's health insurance program expires end of this month, Ryan has not even started the process to renew it. Probably thinks they should be able manage OK, until they start earning enough to able to buy their own.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Enoch07

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Religion:
    A friend of mine had all 4 of his children on Obamacare. He makes more per than I but he cannot afford healthcarw for all 4 and all of his other bills as well (single dad, the mom is a nightmare dont ask). Out of nowhere about a year ago they just pulled the coverage on all 4. Now he cant get them reinsured because be is refused and he cant afford regular insurance. I just have not seen any positives come from Obamacare.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SomeRandom

SomeRandom Still learning to be wise
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,976
    Ahh so if only you are rich enough you can have that freedom? Bugger the child of the poor parents? Which happened in this scenario. They did not have the money, had to fundraise, if I'm not mistaken. Which delayed the process to the point where neither country would perform the procedure because the child was too far gone. You mean freedoms like those?

It's all too easy to pontificate over the plight of those on the poverty line or even just average workers when you have the money to afford a comfortable lifestyle and indeed all the freedoms money can apparently buy.
    Don't see how that is helpful for those who can't afford to do so though.
    Neither system is perfect. Both extremely flawed, but something like the NDS would eventually make an experimental treatment free if proven effective. I don't know about the US.

#48 SomeRandom, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BSM1

BSM1 What? Me worry?

Ratings:
    +9,210
    Religion:
    Buddhistic Panenthetic Jesusonian
    You're right, I misspoke. But what did Jesus say about the poor in that passage (Mark 14:3-9, et al)?

10. soulsurvivor

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Your friend's story sounds like Obamacare income limit for subsidies needs to be increased, so that he and his kids can get coverage. Instead you want to take away coverage from even those with less income than him, who are getting the help. Actually I am sure his kids can get coverage under CHIPS (if congress renews the program).

What you are saying is that since you don't like Obamacare, you want to throw 30 million people who benefit from it, off their coverage. Which basically goes back to what I was saying, you don't want to help poor people get healthcare. You don't think it is yours or the government's job to help people who can not afford it. Like I said, you will have to explain your reasoning to the Christ when he returns - hope he buys your explanation.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Kelly of the Phoenix

Kelly of the Phoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,026
    Religion:
    "Post" Christian, likely Deist
    Why? Do we expect the bankers to do the surgeries? I only know I would much rather trust a Roman doctor than a Jewish faith healer.

He filled their nets with miracle fish. How does that teach them how to fish? They were fishermen long before Jesus showed up. Do you think they just sat around in the desert casting their nets?

Yes, because they are starving NOW. Teach them to fish when they're FULL.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dude can't wash his own feet?

Every single miracle is a handout.

But not at the RNC. You'll get lots of slammed doors there.

Not technically, but he also never worked anywhere and just bummed around Galilee living off everyone else's dime.

They were supposed to. It was God's plan all along.

He didn't have a job. He shouldn't lecture the employed about what to do with money.

Amen!

I seriously don't know why we just don't expand Medicare. It has to be cheaper than what we have now.

Republicans also don't want to invest in education (sex or otherwise), which is why we can't have nice things.

Not everyone becomes discovered and joins Hollywood either. There are tons of working poor who use up way more elbow grease than any CEO.

I'm a female. They ALREADY want to control my health and I am not even on Medicare yet.

"If we can figure out a way to do it so I'm not personally inconvenienced, then sure."

Your tax preparer screwed you. I don't have Obamacare and I didn't have to pay any penalty. They want you to have insurance. They really don't care how you get it.

I'm sure that person making 7 bucks an hour can just sign up for Harvard and make themselves "better".

So he should find an affordable lawyer and give all the relevant information. There are "hardship" clauses.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Enoch07

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Religion:
    Why is metaphors, similies, and hyperbole is lost on you?

It does not work that way. You hand them a fish and you have lost their attention. Teach them while they are hungry and they pay real close attention.

Laughing is better tham crying I suppose. The truth hurts.

Nope, it is a handup, or at least it is meant to be.

Probably, am I supposed to be burned by that? Considering I am not Republican.

They still had free will. And they used it.

If anyone is blissfully unaware the repercussions of unprotected sex in this day and age. What excuse do they have?

I know and I am one of them. I clawed my way out of poverty, crime, and violence. So can anybody else.

Well maybe thats your sign. If you think they are way too intrusive just wait!

Nope, Obama and the IRS tried to screw me over. Its rectified now though. :D

So heavy handed. Why is it gotta be Ivy league school? Programs to make tech or trade school more affordable is realistic. Not everyone can be a lawyer ya know!

He can't afford a lawyer. He has 4 kids to support alone! He barely gets by as it is.

13. Lyndon

Lyndon "Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,307
    Religion:
    Theism+Jesus(pbuh) influenced by....... Taoism and Buddhism
    So we've seen how inhumane Republican's would treat the problems but the question was What Would Jesus Do?? not What would Republicans do!!

14. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +833
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    I appreciate your desire to help the poor. The NT contains certain declarations:

1. When helping the poor, it's Christians first!

2. People who don't work should not receive certain (all!) handouts!

3. People who do not provide for their own families are worse than unbelievers!

:)

15. Akivah

Akivah Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,795
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Jesus was a Democrat!? I had no idea that he advocated abortion and homosexual marriage.

16. Akivah

Akivah Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,795
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I don't mind a temporary handout for someone's changed circumstances. However, the Democrats want the handouts to be permanent. They believe that certain peoples are unable to ever provide for themselves. And they believe that even people that already support themselves should become dependent on the government, as they seek to sign up new people for handouts. The welfare rolls expanded big time under Obama.

17. soulsurvivor

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +152
    The subsidies are not permanent for any person. Once your income goes above a certain level the subsidies stop. The programs needs to be permanent, because there will always be new people to fall into poverty even if some manage to get out. You argument is that the poor are lazy and will remain poor as long as they get free healthcare. I don't think healthcare is some kind of luxury that people 'enjoy' having.

The welfare rolls expanded under Obama because of the Great Recession that started under Bush.

Basically you don't think it is your job or the government's job to help the poor with food or healthcare which you consider as 'handouts'. Maybe when the Christ returns he will agree with you and reward you for being so thoughtful in making sure people don't become dependent.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Lyndon

Lyndon "Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,307
    Religion:
    Theism+Jesus(pbuh) influenced by....... Taoism and Buddhism
    Those are not quotes from the bIble, how far will you go to try to prove Jesus was a bigot.

• Like Like x 1
  19. David1967

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,945
    Religion:
    Christian
    I agree that the Charlie Gard case was terrible and heartbreaking. No parent should have that choice taken from them. But, How many people do you suppose die in this country due to not going to the doctor because they cant afford it?

• Like Like x 3
  20. David1967

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,945
    Religion:
    Christian
    Good question. Why not? We need to do something, and we are capable. Wealthiest country in the world and we cant provide all our citizens healthcare? Please:rolleyes:
    BTW, you are the Ninja master of multi quotes.:D

• Like Like x 2