• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would it mean to your science beliefs if evolution is false?

cladking

Perhaps it's not really fair to compare scientific models to "beliefs" but so many "skeptics" haven't really looked at experiment so to a very real extent many models have far more in common with beliefs than with experiment.

But this is mere semantics and not an attempt to insult anyone, their expertise, or lack of same.

So what if an experiment were performed today that would conclusively show there's no such thing as a gradual change in species caused by "survival of the fittest? Would it shake your "models" in cosmology, the big bang, or your certainty that our ancestors were superstitious bumpkins who wrote superstitious gobbledty gook that had no bearing whatsoever on either reality or history? Would you doubt the intelligence of experts or your own?

It seems odd that with millions of biologists trying to prove Evolution with millions of experiments that they have all been almost wholly unsuccessful for almost two centuries now.

So what if you most cherished belief is shown wrong? Will it make you believe in the Bible and God if the Bible is closer to experiment than the current theory?

Audie

Veteran Member
Perhaps it's not really fair to compare scientific models to "beliefs" but so many "skeptics" haven't really looked at experiment so to a very real extent many models have far more in common with beliefs than with experiment.

But this is mere semantics and not an attempt to insult anyone, their expertise, or lack of same.

So what if an experiment were performed today that would conclusively show there's no such thing as a gradual change in species caused by "survival of the fittest? Would it shake your "models" in cosmology, the big bang, or your certainty that our ancestors were superstitious bumpkins who wrote superstitious gobbledty gook that had no bearing whatsoever on either reality or history? Would you doubt the intelligence of experts or your own?

It seems odd that with millions of biologists trying to prove Evolution with millions of experiments that they have all been almost wholly unsuccessful for almost two centuries now.

So what if you most cherished belief is shown wrong? Will it make you believe in the Bible and God if the Bible is closer to experiment than the current theory?
What if people quit talking nonsense
like "trying to prove science"?

I can tell you what.

We would stop hearing about how
evolution is false, because, nobody has
anything against it except garbage they make up.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have science beliefs. Not even sure what that is.

Perhaps you mean acceptance of scientific theories. If the theory of evolution were falsified, I would wonder what the best explanation for the evidence would be to replace the theory. It is not like that evidence is going to disappear or be lumped into someone's favorite creation story or some other fantastical position by default.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

I know this has been explained to you numerous times. By now, I should have something just to cut and paste to address this.

Survival of the fittest is a poor, popular term that does not describe biological fitness and is often mistaken for health, strength and vigor. You do not need an experiment to demonstrate that fitness does not cause speciation. No one in science makes that claim. Fitness does not cause speciation. Fitness describes the success of phenotypical responses to the environment within a population in the form of reproductive success.

What this reveals is yet another person that has a very poor grasp of the science they feel threatened by.

Here is another one that I should have a canned response for. No one in science is trying to prove anything. Proof is not a standard of science.

Science is not a belief system like belief in ancient language, ancient science or Homo omnisciensis is. The latter three are things claimed that have no evidence and no reason to consider. Evolution has evidence and a sound theory to explain observations and experimental results.

MikeF

Premium Member

In your hypothetical, I'm not sure why you would think new information about biological systems would automatically affect ones confidence in their understanding of theories of cosmological data. The two fields of study build their theories on different data.

Additionally, why would new information about biological systems make one suddenly embrace the Judeo-Christian Bible or believe in a supernatural entity, when there is so much evidence to show them to be invented human constructs?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, what does the theory of biological evolution have to do with cosmology or the Big Bang? Why do creationists insist on conflating the theory of evolution with all of science, when it is specifically about changes in living things and not the origin of life or the cosmos?

cladking

In your hypothetical, I'm not sure why you would think new information about biological systems would automatically affect ones confidence in their understanding of theories of cosmological data. The two fields of study build their theories on different data.

Additionally, why would new information about biological systems make one suddenly embrace the Judeo-Christian Bible or believe in a supernatural entity, when there is so much evidence to show them to be invented human constructs?

Your point is valid and well taken. Obviously little of the data concerning the big bang is applicable to the study of how and why species change.

But just as science has always been wrong in the past and every branch of science shares the exact same metaphysics (even though experiment is not obviously relevant between them), most individuals who call themselves "skeptics" today accept every branch of science and their Peers as infallible. Indeed, expert opinion is now days accepted as being correct by definition; ie- state of the art is determined by experts called "Peers" and it really doesn't matter if experiment is interpreted correctly or has even ever been performed! It doesn't matter if some branch of "science" has ever had an experiment because it is "science" and its Peers are necessarily correct.

It's not so much that I believe most science is wrong (I do) but that most "science" is wrong for the same reasons: Bad definitions, unchecked axioms, reductionism, and the effects of consciousness on experiment.

Obviously vast swathes of science are correct or correct from some perspectives But I'm curious what true believers in science will think when their favorite beliefs are turned on their head. I'm wondering if they will throw out the baby with the bath water or if they'll simply take a more cautious approach to what they choose to believe in the future. I believe it would be particularly hard on some individuals to learn ancient people were more right than they are and the Bible has the concept of change in species that is closer to reality than anything Darwin ever wrote. Will they lose their anchor and run amuk, turn to religion, or pursue the evidence wherever it might lead (even to "religion") .

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Your point is valid and well taken. Obviously little of the data concerning the big bang is applicable to the study of how and why species change.

But just as science has always been wrong in the past and every branch of science shares the exact same metaphysics (even though experiment is not obviously relevant between them), most individuals who call themselves "skeptics" today accept every branch of science and their Peers as infallible. Indeed, expert opinion is now days accepted as being correct by definition; ie- state of the art is determined by experts called "Peers" and it really doesn't matter if experiment is interpreted correctly or has even ever been performed! It doesn't matter if some branch of "science" has ever had an experiment because it is "science" and its Peers are necessarily correct.

It's not so much that I believe most science is wrong (I do) but that most "science" is wrong for the same reasons: Bad definitions, unchecked axioms, reductionism, and the effects of consciousness on experiment.

Obviously vast swathes of science are correct or correct from some perspectives But I'm curious what true believers in science will think when their favorite beliefs are turned on their head. I'm wondering if they will throw out the baby with the bath water or if they'll simply take a more cautious approach to what they choose to believe in the future. I believe it would be particularly hard on some individuals to learn ancient people were more right than they are and the Bible has the concept of change in species that is closer to reality than anything Darwin ever wrote. Will they lose their anchor and run amuk, turn to religion, or pursue the evidence wherever it might lead (even to "religion") .
No one accepts science as infallible. Where is your evidence for such a claim? This is just your opinion and I suspect I know why you have that opinion.

I have seen the publications of experiments in evolution. I know that many, many posters have provided you with published results or links to published results of experiments regarding evolution.

Do you mean the misuse of terms like "survival of the fittest", consciousness, bottleneck, etc., etc. without bothering to define them or correct them when their use is demonstrated to be erroneous?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

How can science always be wrong and then "vast swathes of science are correct"? Which is it?