• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would it mean to your religious beliefs if evolution were true?

If I were convinced that humans evolved from previous animals...

• ...it would have no impact on my religious views

Votes: 37 90.2%
  • ...it would have a slight impact on my religious views

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...I would have to completely reassess my religious views

• ...I would have to abandon my religious views

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • ...I could no longer believe in my god(s)

• ...I could not believe in any god.

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

ppp

When I was a Christian, I was a theistic evolutionist; meaning that I believed in God, and that the processes of the natural world had been set in place to accomplish his ends. In other words, there was no conflict between my faith and any of the currently accepted scientific theories. As a result, it very much perplexed me when Christians who found out I was not a believer would start talking about evolution and the Big Bang Theory - or more accurately, what their church had falsely taught them about evolution and the Big Bang Theory. For them it was an important theological point. For me, evolution was no more meaningful to my belief in a god than heliocentrism.

How much would the theory of evolution being true impact your beliefs. And why?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
When I was a Christian, I was a theistic evolutionist; meaning that I believed in God, and that the processes of the natural world had been set in place to accomplish his ends. In other words, there was no conflict between my faith and any of the currently accepted scientific theories. As a result, it very much perplexed me when Christians who found out I was not a believer would start talking about evolution and the Big Bang Theory - or more accurately, what their church had falsely taught them about evolution and the Big Bang Theory. For them it was an important theological point. For me, evolution was no more meaningful to my belief in a god than heliocentrism.

evolution of forms doesn't negate the idea of consciousness as not having a form. consciousness is a material thing that doesn't necessarily take an exact form or state of matter

Reactions: ppp

stanberger

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Zero. Buddhism is not concerned with evolution.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No impact since evolution is part of Meher Baba's God Speaks

9531336_orig.png

Reactions: ppp

exchemist

Veteran Member

Evolution has been accepted by the main Christian churches for about a century now. Wake up! :D

ppp

evolution of forms doesn't negate the idea of consciousness as not having a form. consciousness is a material thing that doesn't necessarily take an exact form or state of matter
From reading your post, I have to ask if you meant to say, "is not"?

Also, I take it that your answer is, No?

KW

Evolution is consistent with the Christian understanding of God.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Actually it is but in an indirect way, namely "impermanence".

As a matter of fact, the first known written expression that there is an evolutionary process comes from a Chinese Buddhist.
Bloody pedant. :D
OK then, I'd say it is concerned with evolution because it is concerned with the true nature of reality. Beat that!