• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would happen in an apocalyptic blackout

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Would you as a person know how to survive if all electric supplies was gone?
Would you know how to survive in a world where computers no longer would have power?

What would you do?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably not. Most people who answer yes probably couldn't either. Especially people living in cities or suburbia when the supply chain absolutely broke down and they could not get enough food. Even most so-called 'off grid' people still rely on conventional distribution channels. And it takes far more acrage in a hospitable climate zone and years to prepare an adequate off grid farm. And hunter gathering isn't sustainable for even a tiny fraction of the US population.

Most everyone would be hosed.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably not. Most people who answer yes probably couldn't either. Especially people living in cities or suburbia when the supply chain absolutely broke down and they could not get enough food. Even most so-called 'off grid' people still rely on conventional distribution channels. And it takes far more acrage in a hospitable climate zone and years to prepare an adequate off grid farm. And hunter gathering isn't sustainable for even a tiny fraction of the US population.

Most everyone would be hosed.

I had a plan for this when I lived in PNG. I was in a very remote region, and power was generator based and unreliable.
It involved running to a friend's place. He was an enormous Kiwi ranger, who owned composite bows, fishing rods, etc.

Whilst I agree that's not sustainable for a population, it was completely workable for three or four guys in the medium term.

(We actually got cut off from civilization for 2 months, but had canned meat and rice to cover. Boring and caused a few health issues, but whatever)

Me on my own? Toast, baby.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I had a plan for this when I lived in PNG. I was in a very remote region, and power was generator based and unreliable.
It involved running to a friend's place. He was an enormous Kiwi ranger, who owned composite bows, fishing rods, etc.

Whilst I agree that's not sustainable for a population, it was completely workable for three or four guys in the medium term.

(We actually got cut off from civilization for 2 months, but had canned meat and rice to cover. Boring and caused a few health issues, but whatever)

Me on my own? Toast, baby.
Personally i think i could survive the summer alone in the forest, but i should be careful to say the same about the winter here in Norway :)
I was brought up by my father to know the Forest and it's food supply, but to actually live like that for more then a summer could be difficult especially if i did not have warm clothing. And for me it would be vegetarian food only.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Would you know how to survive in a world where computers no longer would have power?

What would you do?

Buy toilet paper.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We have solar power that would help, unless the sun went out.

In which case, with careful use, we can keep going for a day or two with what is stored in the batteries and a couple of UPS

Then???

I like to think our family is resourceful but non of us are hunters or have weapons. Although we live surrounded by forest with its wild boar and deer we have no way to hunt them. There are many hunters in the area so even if we could hunt we would have to join the queue.

I am pretty sure we could survive for a while (maybe a few weeks) by gathering edibles, as would others so in and around the forests supply would soon dwindle. Then winter comes...

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

What would you do?

I probably wouldn't last long, despite my excellent boy scout training to be prepared. :oops: And I doubt there would be many pets roaming the streets for very long. :oops: :oops: But we all probably have enough knives to use or make weapons with which to hunt those foolish enough to venture out. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

What would you do?
What would happen in an apocalyptic blackout

At least Big Brother won't be watching us anymore
At least Government can't play all their dirty tricks anymore
At least Trump's lies won't be all over the internet viewable anymore

Peace on Earth:)

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

What would you do?

I would enjoy the experience of trying to survive probably. It would seem to me like I was living in a movie.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I think with electrical / electronical safety systems gone, quite a few nuclear power stations would explode like we've seen in Fukushima, which might drive all life to a hellish condition.

But maybe I'm just feeling little negative today. o_O

Thief

Rogue Theologian

What would you do?
wait in the dark for the sneak thieves to come around

then surprise them
take everything they happen to carry

and send them away ......a little more than empty handed

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Humans made do for the vast majority of their existence without electricity. Somehow, I'm not that concerned.

Finally, I could tear up the abomination that is the yard and nobody would complain about it, because everyone would finally understand that lawns are a pointless waste of space that should be growing food on them or be habitat for more organisms than just humans with their soccer balls.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I know that I can live under living history medieval conditions. I'd hit a rabbit 50 meter away with my arrow one out of ten times. I won't die without medicine. There are some fruit in my garden and fields and woods around me.
I think I'd make it longer than the average.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Time to stop joking about eating kittens.
Put another tabby on the barby!
... and let your grain be eaten by the mice. No, in the apocalypse, cats, dogs, horses, sheep, chickens are your friends. You only eat them when there are definitely too many.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
... and let your grain be eaten by the mice. No, in the apocalypse, cats, dogs, horses, sheep, chickens are your friends. You only eat them when there are definitely too many.
Already have more than I need.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Humans made do for the vast majority of their existence without electricity. Somehow, I'm not that concerned.

Finally, I could tear up the abomination that is the yard and nobody would complain about it, because everyone would finally understand that lawns are a pointless waste of space that should be growing food on them or be habitat for more organisms than just humans with their soccer balls.
There would be survivors but it's different when you're a. competing with many many more times the amount of humans from before automation and industrial revolution, who would quickly strip natural resource (what happens when your local edibles are already gathered, fish, wild boar and rabbits are already eaten?), and b. Not coming from the right sizes prepared land. Even a quarter acre lot is not going to grow enough food for self-sufficiency, and most people don't even have that.
c. Don't have the knowledge to live like a pre-industrial human. There's a lot more variables than meets the eye for basic safety, it's why most survivalist and preppers (which is an awful, toxic masculine fantasy culture btw) focus on hoarding already made supplies and means to defend them. And even modern off grid homesteaders still rely on modern machinery to farm, to make the tools they hunt with, medicine when they get sick, manufactured oil for their lamps, ect, etc.

There's a reason that mass starvation happened when supply chains break down in modern history.

Deep dive into how hard it is to actually be self-sustaining aside, I do agree that lawns are pointless and I'd rather have a garden, and HOA lawn requirements are ridiculous.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I know what will be first on the barby - all those nice pigeons - which we had to cook as part of our scout training. :D

Heyo

Veteran Member
I know what will be first on the barby - all those nice pigeons - which we had to cook as part of our scout training. :D
I'd eat air rats from my vicinity but never one from a city. They are full of McD and other unhealthy food.