• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would happen in a simulated world covered in small tribes each with their own religion

amorphous_constellation

So if there was a petri dish world that was a pure simulation of this one, only it had no real god or gods except the many simulated gods within it, what would happen if you had the ability to watch it from above while hitting the fast forward button to scan through the centuries. Would this simulated world in fact emerge in much a similar way to the way our world did, would the various religions extend and retract to reach states of greater homogenization over time? Would it end up the same way every time even with simulated gods? You can be an atheist or theist to philosophize on this, it is only a simulated world I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Sounds like a duplicate of what has occurred here on the real world. Same or similar results.

Philosophically speaking, we are very likely now living in an ancestral simulation. Unfortunately, the simulation hypothesis is neither falsifiable nor verifiable. There'd likely be no way for us simulated beings to distinguish between living in base-reality and living in a realistically simulated world.

Bostrom-fig1.jpg

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
So if there was a petri dish world that was a pure simulation of this one, only it had no real god or gods except the many simulated gods within it, what would happen if you had the ability to watch it from above while hitting the fast forward button to scan through the centuries. Would this simulated world in fact emerge in much a similar way to the way our world did, would the various religions extend and retract to reach states of greater homogenization over time? Would it end up the same way every time even with simulated gods? You can be an atheist or theist to philosophize on this, it is only a simulated world I'm talking about.
This was the case back around 5000 years ago. Each city state or nation had its respected deity. If one was conquered by another, one simply switched one's allegiance to the god of one's conqueror, since obviously he was superior. It was the Jews who were the exception to this -- we stayed faithful to our God even in captivity. Rather than thinking that the Babylonian god(s) was superior, we saw our captivity as punishment by our own God, who was still in control.

Milton Platt

Would depend entirely on the code written by the programmer???

amorphous_constellation

This was the case back around 5000 years ago. Each city state or nation had its respected deity. If one was conquered by another, one simply switched one's allegiance to the god of one's conqueror, since obviously he was superior. It was the Jews who were the exception to this -- we stayed faithful to our God even in captivity. Rather than thinking that the Babylonian god(s) was superior, we saw our captivity as punishment by our own God, who was still in control.

In this alternate petri dish world, does something like that always happen or not no matter how you scramble the religions among all the tribes? That's more toward what I'm asking here

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

Would depend entirely on the code written by the programmer???

Is a moment in time a deterministic code? If you ran the tape from 5000 years ago to now, do the conditions then always get you to this... and even if you alter them slightly, does the human variable create a chronological prism effect that leads us to something like this anyway

IndigoChild5559

In this alternate petri dish world, does something like that always happen or not no matter how you scramble the religions among all the tribes? That's more toward what I'm asking here
I think that it is inevitable that it goes through this stage. However, it is also inevitable that it will evolve to the idea that One God is stable no matter what happens, as it did with the Jews.

amorphous_constellation

I think that it is inevitable that it goes through this stage. However, it is also inevitable that it will evolve to the idea that One God is stable no matter what happens, as it did with the Jews.

Seeing that it's a simulation, does this simulated conclusion say more about the nature of the real god, or does it say more about the mere nature of the conclusions a human mind would come to

IndigoChild5559

Seeing that it's a simulation, does this simulated conclusion say more about the nature of the real god, or does it say more about the mere nature of the conclusions a human mind would come to
I would say that the simulations assumes that mankind progresses to a higher and higher level of understanding of reality.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Interesting thought experiment, but ...
In a simulated world a simulated god would look real. I guess you don't mean simulated gods but imaginary gods that only exist in the minds of the simulated people?
I also assume that the simulation has an element of randomness because there would be no reason to run the simulation multiple times if it were deterministic.
My guess is then that, over a large number of simulations, a general law could be found that the belief in a god can't be stable. Even if one group of believers killed all of the other believers, sooner or later they would split. As there is no objective method to establish the nature of an imaginary entity, people (or simulated people) will disagree on the nature of the god and form a new religion/denomination/cult.
Just as we see it in our (real or simulated?) world.

Would this simulated world in fact emerge in much a similar way to the way our world did, would the various religions extend and retract to reach states of greater homogenization over time?

Yes. Those religions with more advantageous beliefs would, in the long run, beat out other faiths (with some randomness due to resources, etc)

Would it end up the same way every time even with simulated gods?

Definitely not. Each simulation would end up very differently as the number of complex and dynamic variables involved wold lead to small differences becoming massive over time.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Not the exact scenario, but I read, the more people exist on Earth and the more complex societies become, the more their religion tends towards henotheism or monotheism, because believing in the same god generates some kind of mutual trust.

amorphous_constellation

Interesting thought experiment, but ...
In a simulated world a simulated god would look real. I guess you don't mean simulated gods but imaginary gods that only exist in the minds of the simulated people?
I also assume that the simulation has an element of randomness because there would be no reason to run the simulation multiple times if it were deterministic.

Yes all of those caveats should be there, my starting statements are obviously sloppily written because this is sort of a complicated thought to tangle with. However, even if the starting point was always the same in being some 'neutral' point in simulated history, what you are saying is that each moment would depend on specific moments that preceded it, and randomness cannot naturally occur anywhere

Last edited: