• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would Christains do if Jesus returned tomorrow and proclaimed himself a Muslim?

Ilisrum

I'm curious. Would they run to Jerry Jones for comfort, or would they bow down and submit?

The question is directed primarily toward fundamentalists who claim to posses the ultimate truth and degrade everybody who believes differently.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I'm curious. Would they run to Jerry Jones for comfort, or would they bow down and submit?

The question is directed primarily toward fundamentalists who claim to posses the ultimate truth and degrade everybody who believes differently.
What would Muslims do if God came down in human form -- as Jesus -- tomorrow? Would they run to their Imam for comfort, or would they bow down and submit?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am assuming that you are talking about Terry "Let's burn a Qur'an" Jones. Considering the man has virtually no followers I don't think people would flock to him unless they had press credentials, of course.

Well, I can hardly be described as religious, let alone a fundamentalist, but if someone claiming to be Jesus "came down" and proclaimed himself a Muslim, I would not submit to Islam. I might break out laughing though, shake my head and then go feed the deer that come to visit. At least I know they are not crazy,

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think the answer to the underlying question of the OP (do people worship religion more than god?) is true in the vast majority of cases.

PhAA

Grand Master

He suddenly appears? Wouldn't that make him a god or something?
What if god came down and declared himself an atheist, and then blinked out of existence?
:D An Atheist with magic powers. lol
What would Muslims do if God came down in human form -- as Jesus -- tomorrow? Would they run to their Imam for comfort, or would they bow down and submit?
The fact that he is human, why would they submit?

Ilisrum

Well, I can hardly be described as religious, let alone a fundamentalist, but if someone claiming to be Jesus "came down" and proclaimed himself a Muslim, I would not submit to Islam. I might break out laughing though, shake my head and then go feed the deer that come to visit. At least I know they are not crazy,

Yeah, nearly everybody who has ever claimed to be the "second coming" of Jesus was off his rocker. It would be entertaining to see such a scenario play out though.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Yeah, nearly everybody who has ever claimed to be the "second coming" of Jesus was off his rocker. It would be entertaining to see such a scenario play out though.
Implying, of course, that there were some who made the claim who were not off their rocker...:facepalm:

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
Jesus was Jewish lol.

As for answering your question, I talked to an Evangelical Christian fundamentalist the other day for about about an hour and a half. I explained to him why we Jews do not accept Jesus as our Messiah and he tried to explain how Jesus is the messiah. But he told me several times that if I am indeed right that Jesus is a false messiah, then that means that he is following a "false religion" - he called it(not sure I believe in the concept of "false religions") - and that he would suffer the consequences for it in the afterlife (he also told me that if he is right that, well... Im sure you can guess what he said) But anyways I thought it was interesting that he said this despite being a fundamentalist who without a doubt believed his religion was the only correct path. But anyways, if Jesus did return and say that he is Muslim, I think its safe to say that Christians - who want to be like Christ - would convert to Islam? And that Christian fundamentalists such as the man I talked to might think that they were following a false religion and convert as well? I dont know.. kind of a silly question but thats my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Some would convert to Islam, others would consider him to be an impostor. If God came down and said he was Jesus tomorrow, some Muslims would convert to Christianity, others would consider him to be an impostor.

People generally worship their religions more than their gods, in my opinion. We'd like to think otherwise--but is it true? I'm sceptical.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
Some would convert to Islam, others would consider him to be an impostor. If God came down and said he was Jesus tomorrow, some Muslims would convert to Christianity, others would consider him to be an impostor.

People generally worship their religions more than their gods, in my opinion. We'd like to think otherwise--but is it true? I'm sceptical.

I couldn't agree more, for without a doubt you would be right. I agree that some of us worship our religions more than our gods, thus some of us fail to see the true teachings and are blind to the bigger picture. But thats just my opinion

Gloone

Nothing, because that would never happen.

no-body

Unless Jesus is really the demon God magician scripture portrays the ultra religious will be the first ones with nails and hammers in their hands ready to re-crucify him no matter what he proclaims or to what denomination.

sirat

Salaam friends,

As some have already written here, it is most certainly true that there are those who follow the path and there are those who worship religions.

Here are some stories about cases similar to the question and subsequent counter-question. Perhaps the stories will help consider the key points in this sort of question.

When Muhammad (pbuh) was praying, he originally faced towards Jerusalem. One day, he was instructed to turn and face towards Mecca in the middle of prayers. This single simple action divided his followers. Some turned and others did not, would not, could not.

Secondly, if Isa or Jesus (pbuh) returned today, many in Islam would be happy because this is what is fortold in the final days as they have learned it. The Qur'an describes Joseph (pbuh) and other prophets as being muslims. It would not be strange to many who are muslims if Jesus is the one to return. This is a hard point for some Christians to understand. Their religion is to Islam as Judiasm is to Christianity. What Christian would reject Moses if he showed up at the door? Again, some would and some wouldn't.

Third, when Baha'u'llah was forced to leave a city he recorded that the Christians cried and the Muslims cried, but the Christians cried a bit harder. Most interesting that.

Lastly, a proper story. There was a muslim who was proud of his devotion and separation from the world. He heard of a man who had no name. This no-named man was supposed to be truly spiritual. So the muslim went to seek him out so he could demonstrate his learning and accomplishments. Finally, after many days of seeking, an meeting was arranged.

As the meeting was about to begin, the servant of the one with no name offered them tea and shut the door. The muslim bragged that his degree of separation from the world and depth of learning was so great that if Jesus himself knocked on the door he would feel no need to answer as nothing more was left to be learned.

After listening, the one with no name told of a dream. What if I told you that last night I had a dream? he said. In that dream I saw a dozen of the Shah's executioners coming to bring you to him. I saw them knocking on the door.

At that moment, there was a knock on the door. The muslim lept up and opened it quickly. Are you ready for me to remove the tea cups? asked the servant.

wa salaam,

sirat

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Many people would likely proclaim the person/event to be a false prophet or anti christ.

PhAA

Grand Master
I think the answer to the underlying question of the OP (do people worship religion more than god?) is true in the vast majority of cases.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. People care more for religion, rejecting any other that counters it.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Meh, I think it more likely that Jesus would announce himself a Hindu

Jesus%20In%20India.jpg

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

How would people recognize that he is actually return of christ?

The first time that jesus came as the promised messiah, they didn't recognize him. why would it be any easier for them to recognize him the second time?

Last edited: