• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Will You Bring, Leave, or Take?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This question is for everyone.

If you will transcend physical death...
...what will you bring with you when your body and mind die?
...what will you bring with you experience death on earth?
...what will you leave behind for others?
If you don't transcend physical death...
...what will you take with you that others can't have?
...what becomes of your consciousness?​

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

The belief in a life beyond this one is an important part of my beliefs. The physical body remains but my soul continues on and will have some consciousness of life lived in this world and have some recognition and association with other souls from this life.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

#1 - When the drop reunites with the ocean, the only thing that is brought is water which no longer has a separate existance.

#2 - A regular death is just the dropping of a physical body. Everything else remains.

#3 - I hope I leave the world a slightly better place.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Thats easy. I can answer all those questions with one word.

Atoms

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

-The particular pattern of the Universe that made you "You." (And hopefully a good dark Stout.)
- An experience of death unlike anyone elses.
-Memories and uncountable influences and connections.

-Memories and uncountable influences and connections.
-The particular pattern of the Universe that made you "You." (And hopefully a good dark Stout.)
-Consciousness being an extremely multifaceted amalgam, there are parts that will remain, like the various sensory inputs that become building blocks for my brain to model into an aware Self. I suspect that given my consciousness is unique to this particular pattern of the Universe here and now, it is capable of returning given the right conditions (certain repeating patterns).

epronovost

Apart from the physical stuff, property, money etc i hope i will leave memories.

And of course every atom of my body that will go on to contribute to future life

Cant take anything.

It ceases when my brain dies.

Well, it looks like we got the exact same answers to everything, except, I would maybe say that what I will "take" with me that no one else can have would be my dreams, ideas, hope, aspiration, fears and maybe, even, some of my knowledge.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Well, it looks like we got the exact same answers to everything, except, I would maybe say that what I will "take" with me that no one else can have would be my dreams, ideas, hope, aspiration, fears and maybe, even, some of my knowledge.

I have thought the same in the past but on brain death those mental images simply disappear, you don't take them with you nor can they be given to others.

shivsomashekhar

Case #1; Transcending physical death

The question pre-supposes the reality of time.
The mind continues to exist for without it, you will not know that you exist.
Others are only known through a combination of one or more physical senses and when the body went, the senses went too. Therefore, in this case, no one else exists.

Case #2: Physical death is the death

The question assumes the absolute reality of time. If you are dead, nothing exists. So, there is no space, time or other people. Ergo, none of your questions apply. "Nothing exists" is also incorrect as there is no one to perceive a state of "nothing". And this is why, there is no birth and death and time is predicated on the mind.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably once the brain quits generating consciousness with it contents, it will no longer exist.

Just like when your muscles no longer receive impulses from the brain to move, they will no longer move.

This assumes the brain is what generates consciousness.

epronovost

We have yet to discover a consciousness without a brain or a creature without a functionning brain, but with a consciousness. We can also alter the consciousness of a person by altrering the chemical process of the brain or by damaging it. In fact, we have no idea how a consciousness without a brain could even begin to work in our univers. There is a mountain of evidence to point that the brain generates the consciousness, but not a single credible one that it doesn't.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
We have yet to discover a consciousness without a brain or a creature without a functionning brain, but with a consciousness. We can also alter the consciousness of a person by altrering the chemical process of the brain or by damaging it. In fact, we have no idea how a consciousness without a brain could even begin to work in our univers. There is a mountain of evidence to point that the brain generates the consciousness, but not a single credible one that it doesn't.

If you wish to debate where consciousness originates, please start your own thread. I would appreciate if you didn’t steer this one off topic. :)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
My soul.
The tiny spark of me that is part of The Ultimate Source. Or the Ground of Being.

Or whatever words you prefer to use to describe the unknowable and post-understanding Reality.
Whatever words you want to use.

It's not like humans have any real clue about this.
Tom

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
No one has demonstrated that the brain doesn't generate consciousness. Brain scans show correlation between consciousness and brain activity. Anesthesiologists can determine whether or not someone is consciousness by examining brain activity.

The only claims that the brain doesn't generate conscious is from conscious experience itself. If someone has a conscious experience informing them that consciousness is not generated by the brain, then this is the evidence.

But there is no control for whether the message from this experience is absolutely true, or merely generated from the imagination.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

...what will you leave behind for others?​
... My soul.
... Not sure of the question o_O
... Whatever I did in this life, others I might have helped, etc.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't think it does. I think the soul working through the brain generates consciousness.
After we die, the soul continues to generate consciousness in a spiritual body.
Nobody who never died can understand what this will be like since we never experienced it....
But I do not want to derail your thread. :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
#1 - When the drop reunites with the ocean, the only thing that is brought is water which no longer has a separate existance.

#2 - A regular death is just the dropping of a physical body. Everything else remains.
I see a bit of a contradiction between #1 and #2.
If you no longer have a separate existence (#1) how could everything else (including your personality) remain?

I do not believe we lose our individuality after we die and go to the spiritual world. I believe we retain everything that makes us the unique person we were in this physical life, our personality, and the only thing we shed is the physical body.