• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Will We Carry Into the Afterlife?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
To me the Golden Age is Jesus coming 1,000-year governmental reign over Earth for a thousand years - Revelation 20:6.

Jesus will have earthy subjects, earthy citizens according to Psalm 72:8; Psalms 72:12-14.
At the end of the thousand-year reign of Christ, then he hands back God's kingdom to his God - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26.
Jesus will have accomplished everlasting life on Earth for the majority of earth's people.
I do not see how that is possible, unless the Bible is in error or Jesus lied because Jesus said His work was finished here and He was no more in the world, and He also said that His kingdom is not of this world.

John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

These two verses in John 18 completely negate that Jesus is the King of this world or that Jesus will ever come to this world to rule it, and they fit perfectly together with John 17:4 and John 17:11. Jesus came into this world to bear witness unto the truth about God. He did that so there is no more reason for Jesus to come back to this world again. That is why Jesus said “I am no more in the world.”

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I do not see how that is possible, unless the Bible is in error or Jesus lied because Jesus said His work was finished here and He was no more in the world, and He also said that His kingdom is not of this world.
John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

These two verses in John 18 completely negate that Jesus is the King of this world or that Jesus will ever come to this world to rule it, and they fit perfectly together with John 17:4 and John 17:11. Jesus came into this world to bear witness unto the truth about God. He did that so there is no more reason for Jesus to come back to this world again. That is why Jesus said “I am no more in the world.”

Yes, Jesus finished the work (Luke 4:43) but then Jesus gave us the work ( Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 ) to do the work on a grander international scale.
Men's kingdoms are of this world ( on Earth ) but God's kingdom is located in Heaven ( Revelation 20:6)
So, God's heavenly kingdom will govern from Heaven - John 14:19 - the world would see Jesus No more.
This is why we pray for God's kingdom to come ( thy kingdom come..... - Daniel 2:44 ).
Thus, God's kingdom is Not part of this world of badness. Jesus will never be part of this worldly system of governing.
Please notice what Jesus will do at the end of his 1,000-year reign over Earth according to 1 Corinthians 15:24-26_________________

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So, God's heavenly kingdom will govern from Heaven - John 14:19 - the world would see Jesus No more.
I have no problem with that belief because I believe that Jesus is in heaven on a heavenly throne, but the people of the world will never see Jesus again.

Luke 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

“The Throne upon which He sat is the Eternal Throne from which Christ reigns for ever, a heavenly throne, not an earthly one, for the things of earth pass away but heavenly things pass not away. He re-interpreted and completed the Law of Moses and fulfilled the Law of the Prophets. His word conquered the East and the West. His Kingdom is everlasting.” Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I have no problem with that belief because I believe that Jesus is in heaven on a heavenly throne, but the people of the world will never see Jesus again.
Luke 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
“The Throne upon which He sat is the Eternal Throne from which Christ reigns for ever, a heavenly throne, not an earthly one, for the things of earth pass away but heavenly things pass not away. He re-interpreted and completed the Law of Moses and fulfilled the Law of the Prophets. His word conquered the East and the West. His Kingdom is everlasting.” Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks

Right, agree > John 14:19 informs us that the people of the world will never see Jesus again.
This is because the ascended-to-heaven Jesus is an invisible Jesus to us.
That seat of government , the heavenly throne ( Revelation 3:21) will govern over earth for a thousand years - Revelation 20:6; 5:9-10.
Earth will feel and see the visible effects of that heavenly governmental reign over Earth.
Effects such as found at Revelation 22:2 that there will be ' healing' for earth's nations.
That curing or healing comes from 'above' down to us.
Right now invisible heavenly Jesus is the Head of the Christian congregation as per Ephesians 5:22.
For holy spirit puts action into hearts and minds the knowledge of God's will, His purpose for mankind through the pages of Scripture.
God's kingdom is everlasting because at the end of Jesus' 1,000 year reign over Earth Jesus hands back God's kingdom to his God.
- 1 Corinthians 15:24-26

swanlake

A few weeks ago I answered the question “What Will We carry Into the Afterlife?”

Many believe that an “Immortal Spirit” survives the death of a person. In the Bible, the words translated “spirit” means “ breath”. This implies much more than breathing. James 2:26 shows that the spirit animates the body.
This animating force cannot simply be the breath, or air, moving through the lungs. Why Not? After breathing stops, Life remains in the body cells “ for several minutes “ according to the World Book Encyclopedia.
Efforts of resuscitation can succeed, and body organs be transplanted from one person to another.
Once the spark of life in a body, within the cell, is extinguished, all efforts are futile.

The spirit is the invisible life-force - “The Spark of Life“ - that keeps cells alive - sustained by breathing. Job 34:14,15

King Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes 3:21 :
Not only man but also animals have a spirit or life- force.
Example : Electricity

An electric stove can generate heat
A computer processes information and perform calculations.
A TV produces images and sound.

Electricity / electric current never takes on the features of the equipment it activates. It’s a force!
Similarly,
the life-force doesn’t take on any of the characteristics of the creatures it animates. It has no personality, no thinking ability. Both humans and animals “ have but one spirit”.
Ecclesiastes 3:19

(Jehovah (Isaiah 42:8) Psalms 83:18; Exodus 20:7)
Jehovah said to Adam in Genesis 3:19. ... “For dust you are and to dust you will return.”
Where was Adam before Jehovah created him? Nowhere!
He did not exist!
After Adam sinned, he did not cross over to the spirit realm.
Adam became lifeless, nonexistent. Adam deliberately disobeyed Jehovah God’s command. The punishment / consequence was death - absence of life - Not a transfer to another realm.
Ecclesiastes 9 5,10 , Psalms 146:4

How does the spirit “go out” from a person when he dies?
Ecclesiastes 12:7 tells us:
The spirit itself returns to the true God who gave it.

Please remember and keep in mind that the spirit is the life- force. Once that force is gone, only Jehovah God has the ability to restore it, by resurrecting the person . Why? Because that life-force comes from Jehovah and any hope for a future life for a person rests entirely with Jehovah himself.

Even Jesus relates in Luke 23:46
... I entrust my spirit into your hands “.
Trusting Jehovah’s ability to bring him back to life. Psalms 104:30
Jesus was resurrected 3 days after he died and later ascended to heaven. Acts 1:3;9

Only Jehovah God can resurrect and entrust that ability to another person.

Just a few Questions!
There are many different beliefs such as:

When someone dies he / she goes to hell.
When someone dies he / she goes to heaven.
When someone dies he/she is being reincarnated.
When someone dies he/she goes on existing in another realm.
When someone dies he/she ...

One true religion! Which one? Is it vital to know? How do I recognize it?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How does the spirit “go out” from a person when he dies?
Ecclesiastes 12:7 tells us:
The spirit itself returns to the true God who gave it.

Please remember and keep in mind that the spirit is the life- force. Once that force is gone, only Jehovah God has the ability to restore it, by resurrecting the person . Why? Because that life-force comes from Jehovah and any hope for a future life for a person rests entirely with Jehovah himself.
The human spirit is synonymous with the human soul. When the body dies, the spirit (soul) leaves the body and enters another world; you can call it heaven or the spiritual world.

The body of a person is not what makes him human since man is not a man because of his body but because of his spirit (soul). Resurrection is not the resurrection of the physical body from the grave, it is the continuation of life of the spirit (soul) in the spiritual world, where the soul takes on a form composed of spiritual elements that exist in the spiritual realm of existence.

421. When the body is no longer able to perform the bodily functions in the natural world that correspond to the spirit’s thoughts and affections, which the spirit has from the spiritual world, man is said to die. This takes place when the respiration of the lungs and the beatings of the heart cease. But the man does not die; he is merely separated from the bodily part that was of use to him in the world, while the man himself continues to live. It is said that the man himself continues to live since man is not a man because of his body but because of his spirit, for it is the spirit that thinks in man, and thought with affection is what constitutes man. Evidently, then, the death of man is merely his passing from one world into another. And this is why in the Word in its internal sense “death” signifies resurrection and continuation of life. Heaven and Hell, p. 351

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Just a few Questions!
There are many different beliefs such as:

When someone dies he / she goes to hell.
When someone dies he / she goes to heaven.
When someone dies he/she is being reincarnated.
When someone dies he/she goes on existing in another realm.
When someone dies he/she ...

One true religion! Which one? Is it vital to know? How do I recognize it?
I do not believe that heaven and hell are geographical locations to which we "go." Rather, heaven is nearness to God and hell is distance from God, so in reference to the afterlife these are states of the soul that is near to or far from God in the spiritual world. So some souls are in heaven and some are in hell, respectively, depending upon their relationship with God or lack thereof.

According to my beliefs, when someone dies they go on existing in another realm and they never come back to THIS world but rather they continue to advance spiritually in that other realm for all of eternity. There is not much we know about that other realm because God has not revealed any details. All we know is that it is spiritual and not physical and that the soul of the confident believer will experience joy and gladness, which is what Jesus meant by eternal life.

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.

As to those that have tasted of the fruit of man’s earthly existence, which is the recognition of the one true God, exalted be His glory, their life hereafter is such as We are unable to describe. The knowledge thereof is with God, alone, the Lord of all worlds.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 345-346

If you want to know any more I can share my beliefs with you in more detail. Meanwhile, here is a short video you can watch.