• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Will We Carry Into the Afterlife?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How are our memories going to survive the deaths of our physical brains, when our brains are where are memories are stored? Further, How are we going to "experience" anything without brains? I don't know exactly what consciousness is or where it comes from, but it's pretty obvious that it (at least in any meaningful form) is dependent on brains.
According to my beliefs the soul animates the body and gives it life. The soul communicates its desires through the brain to the physical body, which thereby expresses itself, so the soul is responsible for the mind, senses and emotions as well as physical sensations. The soul, working through the brain, is responsible for all our thought processes. The soul works through the brain while we are alive in a physical body, but when we die and no longer have a physical body, the soul passes to the spiritual world and continues to operate through a spiritual body.

The body needs a soul to direct its processes, but the body is just the medium through which the soul functions while we are alive on earth in a physical body. The soul is our true self, the sum total of the personality, the person himself; the physical body is pure matter with no real identity. The person, after he dies and leaves his physical body behind, goes to the spiritual world where the soul takes on a spiritual body made up of heavenly elements that exist in the spiritual realm. Since all we have ever experienced is physical, it is impossible for us to understand what it is like to be living as a purely spiritual being rather than a physical body.

The Anointed

How are our memories going to survive the deaths of our physical brains, when our brains are where are memories are stored? Further, How are we going to "experience" anything without brains? I don't know exactly what consciousness is or where it comes from, but it's pretty obvious that it (at least in any meaningful form) is dependent on brains.

And you believe that there are such things as physical brains do you?

There is no such thing as physical matter all that exists is the eternal energy that has neither beginning or end.

In fact, it has now been revealed that matter is no more than an illusion. Quantum physicists discovered that so called physical atoms are made up of vortices of energy that are constantly spinning and vibrating, each one radiating its own unique energy signature.

According to those physicists, if you observed the composition of an atom with a microscope you would see a small invisible tornado-like vortex, with a number of infinitely small energy vortices called quarks and photons. These are what make up the structure of the atom. As you focused in closer and closer on the structure of the atom, you would see nothing, you would observe a physical void. The atom has no physical structure, we have no physical structure, physical things really don’t have any physical structure! Atoms are made out of invisible energy, not tangible matter.

Nothing is solid & everything is energy: scientists explain the world of quantum physics

It has been written about before, over and over again, but cannot be emphasized enough. The world of quantum physics is an eerie one, one that sheds light on the truth about our world in ways that challenge the existing framework of accepted knowledge.

What we perceive as our physical material world, is really not physical or material at all, in fact, it is far from it. This has been proven time and time again by multiple Nobel Prize (among many other scientists around the world) winning physicists, one of them being Niels Bohr, a Danish Physicist who made significant contributions to understanding atomic structure and quantum theory, who wrote; “If quantum mechanics hasn’t profoundly shocked you, you haven’t understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.” – Niels Bohr.

Pioneering physicist Sir James Jeans wrote: “The stream of knowledge is heading toward a non-mechanical reality; the universe begins to look more like a ‘GREAT THOUGT’ than like a great machine. Mind no longer appears to be an accidental intruder into the realm of matter, we ought rather hail it as ‘THE CREATOR’ and governor of the realm of matter. (R. C. Henry, “The Mental Universe”; Nature 436:29, 2005)

That ‘GREAT THOUGHT’ is the LOGOS God, who is the divine reality of the universe, the eternal spirit from which all being originates and to which all must return at the close of each period of universal activity.

The root to the word Brahman originally meant SPEECH, Brahman is the creator of the Hindus, and is one and the same as the WORD = the Logos; who is the Christians creator, the eternal gathering of information, which is expressed in each universal body. Brahman (Speech) as with Logos (Word) is the essential divine reality of the universe, the eternal evolving spirit from which all being originates and to who all being must return.

The LOGOS God, is today as he has always been. He is the only true constant in that he is constantly evolving. The only mind that has ceased to evolve, is the mind that has ceased to exist.

Shabda OR SHABDA STANDS FOR ‘WORD’ MANIFESTED BY SOUND [VERBAL]

Bhartrhari speaks about the creative power of shabda, the manifold universe is a creation of Shabda Brahman

The Rig Veda states that Brahman extends as far as Vāc (R.V.X.114.8), and has hymns in praise of ‘SPEECH AS THE CREATOR.’

The Greek word “LOGOS’ which has been translated as “WORD”, should be seen as ‘The thoughts in the mind which are to be expressed.

The term, “LOGOS” = ‘WORD, pertains to the very plan from the outset. [The creation of a universal body in which a Supreme mind or personality of Godhead to that body, develops.] In Sanskrit the similar meaning is given in the use of the word 'vac.' Vac means word. But in Sanskrit teachings of the Sanatana Dharma, vac has many levels. Including where the word is first considered as being in the mind as a thought, not as the spoken word or speech.

John 1: 1; In the beginning was the Logos and the Logos was with God and was God. And the supreme personality or controlling mind to have developed within the invisible eternal body of ever evolving information, was “THE LIGHT OF MAN” All the information, knowledge, wisdom and insight, gained from the body of mankind, the MOST HIGH in the previous creation, who was the Light and life of that ever-growing body of information, which is called God. All things came into existence through him, by him and for him. Without him, nothing exists.

Countless universal bodies have burst forth from Brahman=Logos and have retuned, to him, each one evolving a little higher than the previous body. The days and nights of Brahman are called manvantara and prayala, Manvantara refers to each period of universal activity and Pralaya refers to the periods of universal darkness or non-being according to our finite minds.

Every living thing within this apparent boundless cosmos, are merely information gatherers for the eternal energy, that Great Thought, which manifests itself as this living universe, which is all that exists. and is the collective consciousness of all that exists, there is nothing that you have ever done or will do in the future, that is not recorded within the ‘GREAT THOUGHT.’

This nano technology, it really frightens me
They can make a flying camera that looks just like a bee
Can spiders, ants, and house flies transmit the things I say
Can our words and all our actions be recorded every day?

I remember back when I was young, I’s no more’n a lad
Sometimes I’d be at home alone and doin something bad
And I’d turn mums crucifix around so He couldn’t see me do it
Now I think of all this nano stuff and I think I might have blew it

Once you understand that God is all, you’d have to be half blind
Not to realise that everything feeds into that great mind
All them spiders in the corners, ants in every crack and nook
Were filming everything I did---now it’s recorded in God’s book.

But that don’t really bother me, cos I know it’s tightly sealed
And only one’s allowed to open it---and you know? somehow I feel
He’s not the sort what runs around accusing everyone
And though He lives in me, one day I’ll be, in Him, ‘God’s only Son.’……… The Anointed.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I received this article in my e-mail a few days ago and I loved the simplicity of it, so I wanted to share it.

Baha’u’llah further explained that “the soul is a sign of God, a heavenly gem whose reality the most learned of men hath failed to grasp, and whose mystery no mind, however acute, can ever hope to unravel. It is the first among all created things to declare the excellence of its Creator, the first to recognize His glory, to cleave to His truth, and to bow down in adoration before Him. If it be faithful to God, it will reflect His light, and will, eventually, return unto Him. If it fail, however, in its allegiance to its Creator, it will become a victim to self and passion, and will, in the end, sink in their depths.”

Take time to be alone. Meditate profoundly and pray daily. Focus on serving your community and contributing to the betterment of the world. You are not a body with a soul. You are a soul that temporarily has an association with a body.

https://bahaiteachings.org/what-will-we-carry-into-the-afterlife?

What's wrong with the physical body?

We are part of our "imperfections" as well as our perceptions of perfections of the body, mind, and spirit. Why does Bahaullah separate them?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
New 'We' take nothing. The 'we' that the average man identifies with is gone ... forever. However, the essence continues.
If you believe that is true, can you explain the purpose of this physical existence, according to your beliefs?
Why would it really matter what we do here if nothing we do here goes with us?
What we do here would matter but only for the very short time we are here.
I cannot see how that would be a reason to make great personal sacrifices.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What's wrong with the physical body?

We are part of our "imperfections" as well as our perceptions of perfections of the body, mind, and spirit. Why does Bahaullah separate them?
Baha'u'llah never said that there is anything "wrong" with the physical body.
We are one whole unit so as long as we are living in a body we have a body, mind, and spirit.

The reason body and soul are separated for purposes of discussion is because the body is mortal whereas the soul is immortal.

The body will die but the soul is eternal.
In light of that, which one do you think is more important?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you mean there are different answers as to what we will carry with is into the afterlife depending upon our beliefs about the afterlife?

No. I mean there are different outcomes in Advaita Vedanta.

If one remains attached to relative reality, one experiences rebirth, where the sum of one's actions and experiences are carried to the next life as the causal body.

However, when one achieves liberation through realization of their true nature as Brahman and wishes to break free from the cycle of rebirth, then nothing is carried. However, one may still experience rebirth as a jivanmukta for the purpose of helping others.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No. I mean there are different outcomes in Advaita Vedanta.

If one remains attached to relative reality, one experiences rebirth, where the sum of one's actions and experiences are carried to the next life as the causal body.

However, when one achieves liberation through realization of their true nature as Brahman and wishes to break free from the cycle of rebirth, then nothing is carried. However, one may still experience rebirth as a jivanmukta for the purpose of helping others.
Since I do not know the meaning of the terms you are using I cannot fully understand what you mean.

By relative reality do you mean the material world reality?
What is a causal body?
What do you believe is our true nature?
By rebirth do you mean reincarnation, the soul coming back to this world again to live in another physical body?
What is rebirth as a jivanmukta? I assume it means coming back to this world to help others?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Since I do not know the meaning of the terms you are using I cannot fully understand what you mean.

By relative reality do you mean the material world reality?

Yes. It is the appearance one experiences in this life.

What is a causal body?

As I said in my previous post, the causal body is the sum of one's actions and experiences in relative reality. It is the product of sense experiences and what remains after the body and mind expire. It is suggested by some that the subtle body, that which contains memories, personality, and feelings/emotions is also carried between incarnations, but I'm not convinced of this.

What do you believe is our true nature?

Brahman. Absolute Reality. Existence, consciousness, bliss...satcitananda.

By rebirth do you mean reincarnation, the soul coming back to this world again to live in another physical body?

Yes, I mean reincarnation, but I don't use the word "soul," as there are too many varying definitions of what these are. Also, this world is an appearance, so one doesn't "come back;" one has another experience of this world.

What is rebirth as a jivanmukta? I assume it means coming back to this world to help others?

A jivanmukta who chooses rebirth is an enlightened being that is experiencing this reality along with others for their benefit. As I see it, these are the likes of Krishna, Shankaracharya, Ramakrishna, Buddha, etc.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Baha'u'llah never said that there is anything "wrong" with the physical body.
We are one whole unit so as long as we are living in a body we have a body, mind, and spirit.

The reason body and soul are separated for purposes of discussion is because the body is mortal whereas the soul is immortal.

The body will die but the soul is eternal.
In light of that, which one do you think is more important?

Both. Why is death seen less important than eternity (for lack of better word)?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I believe that the Prophets and Messengers of God are educators that guide us on the straight Path of Truth ..
I believe God / Allah is human imagination and the so-called messengers (of all sorts, whatever fancy name you give them) are either psychic cases or frauds.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe God / Allah is human imagination and the so-called messengers (of all sorts, whatever fancy name you give them) are either psychic cases or frauds.
Obviously, they would all be psychic cases or frauds if God does not exist. :D
But if God does exist, some claimants would be psychic cases or frauds but others could be telling the truth.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Truth will destroy these false religions who claim messengers. They thrive on untruth. And that a God / Allah exists is the biggest untruth. That allows these people to fool others.
The brain doesn't go with us because it is part of the physical body and the physical body cannot survive death, according to my beliefs. ;)
The brain does go with you to the grave (normally), but it is a non-functional brain which does not have any memories. It is like an erased C:// drive, no better than a cauliflower.
Why would it really matter what we do here if nothing we do here goes with us?
Now that is a silly statement (but I do not expect anything better from you). You live in a society. The society has demands on you. If you are not fulfilling them, you have no right to remain in the society and the society has no obligation to tolerate you. Go to a forest or desert and do whatever you like. Remember the laws of the country will be operative there also.
Yes, all that we do matters only for the short time that we are here. Whatever sacrifice that you make, for a cause appreciated by the society (like people dying in defense of their country) or because of your own foolishness (like dying for David Koresh, Bab or Bahaollah) is your own choice.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is no birth or death according to Advaita Vedanta, Salix.The illusory experience of this life closes with death. After that one is the stuff of the universe (Brahman). One is Brahman even while living this illusory experience, but few realize that. There is no carting of experiences.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no birth or death according to Advaita Vedanta, Salix.The illusory experience of this life closes with death. After that one is the stuff of the universe (Brahman). One is Brahman even while living this illusory experience, but few realize that. There is no carting of experiences.

Birth and death are a product of avidya (as is the experience of vyavaharika). I have no beginning and no end.

However, the body/mind experience doesn't disappear when one realizes one's true nature as Brahman. There is still action to be performed as a part of my dharma.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Truth will destroy these false religions who claim messengers. They thrive on untruth. And that a God / Allah exists is the biggest untruth. That allows these people to fool others.
Can you prove that God does not exist? If you can't then it is just a bald assertion, a belief.
Now that is a silly statement (but I do not expect anything better from you). You live in a society. The society has demands on you. If you are not fulfilling them, you have no right to remain in the society and the society has no obligation to tolerate you. Go to a forest or desert and do whatever you like. Remember the laws of the country will be operative there also.
Yes, all that we do matters only for the short time that we are here. Whatever sacrifice that you make, for a cause appreciated by the society (like people dying in defense of their country) or because of your own foolishness (like dying for David Koresh, Bab or Bahaollah) is your own choice.
I did not say what we do in this life does not matter, I said:

With all due respect, I do not think that many atheists make great personal sacrifices.

Society makes no demands upon me. I could live however I wanted to if I was not a believer in God, because I would have nobody to answer to now or at the end of the road. Moreover, I have a right to live however I want to, and if I only thought of myself I could be doing whatever I want to do because I am healthy and very well off financially.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
After life is death. As a conscious human quoting what occurs to the life body when it dies. As physical body owner.

It decomposes and goes through various chemical changes as a bio life and then the science review, seeing you are discussing science is that the gases, being what the heavenly body owns get released. As a biological Genetic genesis explanation of what occurs to a body due to being irradiated....early age death.

For it is the subject and reason for reviewing old pyramid/Temple historic literature and then updated modern day use of Temple and pyramid technology. Which AI says was trans mutation of mass of stone in some form of alchemical radiation conversion to gain gold, as a product for trade. For it was their monetary and elite trade to have gold.

Why gold in the temple is prevalent, for it is what their trading of God products were.

Science today is in study NDE, and science studies reason for human death.

Therefore if anyone used common human sense. If you were an evil scientist, doing transmutation radiation science, and then attacked everyone because you altered fusion of the ground mass. And the environment due to the UFO erupted into a nuclear reaction due to machination causes....pyramid and temple.

Then it would be historically documented that you had blown up your Temples, the same as a nuclear power plant melt down and atmospheric irradiation.

Did the same in the past like you do today, lie about occult radiation being safe, just because you say so.

Therefore a scientific ground and atmospheric appraisal was applied to the conditions of why the life body/cell and Genetics had been attacked and mutated and it owned a discussion of medical science reckoning.

For if any human was being correct and spiritual in their truth you would say when I die I do not really know what happens, and I will not know until I get there if there is somewhere to go.

However as science says, I know where creation came from. And humans say we know where we came from, it then turned into an argument. For they try to claim that their beginning and end formula and a machine invented us.

As if they are the Creator, stone O God a planet. When their formula was invented to force change the natural fusion of God the planet.....just as their formulas today own the same reckoning....forcing God to change when they do a machine reaction, and expect the changes to God in fusion will supply them with new energy.

What they have always said.

So when a liar gives a detailed spatial reasoning, when in fact his science and formulas only ever really involved God is how big a coercive liar they are....and humanity should begin to realize what occultism actually is as a human science practice, for it does in fact involve coercion of information also.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Can you prove that God does not exist? If you can't then it is just a bald assertion, a belief.
With all due respect, I do not think that many atheists make great personal sacrifices.
Society makes no demands upon me. I could live however I wanted to if I was not a believer in God, because I would have nobody to answer to now or at the end of the road. Moreover, I have a right to live however I want to, and if I only thought of myself I could be doing whatever I want to do because I am healthy and very well off financially.
Why create a false belief first and then try to find support or destroy it.
For what reason are you creating your Allah? If it is creation of universe or living beings, science has told us so many things. 'Goddidit' does not answer anything.
Why do you think so? I would have had no hesitation to die for my country (I did not join Armed forces because of my physical disability - vision).
No, you cannot live in any way which disturbs others in the society. You cannot blare music in the middle of night. You cannot throw rubbish on roads. There are regulations about things in society and you have to follow them.

Trailblazer, you are too immature. You do not know what you are writing. That is why I am able to find faults in what you write.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'd say both the body and soul are important. Why would eternity or immortality (of the soul) be more important than our mortality (or the body)?
The soul is immortal so it lasts forever. The body is mortal so it will die eventually.
Why would a body that is going to die eventually matter as much as a soul that lives forever?
What about immortality gains greater importance than mortality?
The immortal soul lasts forever, the mortal body is just a temporary place to house the soul.

“The world is but a show, vain and empty, a mere nothing, bearing the semblance of reality. Set not your affections upon it. Break not the bond that uniteth you with your Creator, and be not of those that have erred and strayed from His ways. Verily I say, the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion.” Gleanings, pp. 328-329

“Ere long the world and all that is therein shall be as a thing forgotten, and all honor shall belong to the loved ones of thy Lord, the All-Glorious, the Most Bountiful.” Gleanings, p. 306

And when the world that we leave behind is a thing forgotten, the body will be buried and forgotten because it does not accompany us to the spiritual world.