• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will the Second Coming of Christ look like?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are there direct quotes about Hinduism from Baha'u'llah himself, or is there just stuff from later 'scholars' interpreting? If so, I'd like to read them. Otherwise it's little more than Zakir Naik stuff. According to our friend Adrian, Baha'u'llah said very little about Sanatana Dharma. A warning not to worship false idols doesn't count. Neither does Krisnna being the founder really.

Thank you for the great question, that is something I will look up, sorry must go work calls.

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So not being nice all the time is a Baha'i virtue? Baha'is reject the Christian interpretation of their own Scriptures about salvation is only through Jesus. Instead, Baha'is have pointed to the "wonderful" teaching of Jesus. One of those is about turning the other cheek when someone slaps you. So fighting back when people step all over you is something that the Baha'is should do and they should disregard what Jesus said? No, I don't think so. And besides, who do you think is walking all over you?
Not being nice all the time and not turning the other cheek is sometimes necessary, and there is nothing wrong with that. Yes, we can disregard what Jesus said because this is a new age and a new dispensation. It is the age of equity and justice.

“O ye beloved of the Lord! The Kingdom of God is founded upon equity and justice, and also upon mercy, compassion, and kindness to every living soul. Strive ye then with all your heart to treat compassionately all humankind—except for those who have some selfish, private motive, or some disease of the soul. Kindness cannot be shown the tyrant, the deceiver, or the thief, because, far from awakening them to the error of their ways, it maketh them to continue in their perversity as before. No matter how much kindliness ye may expend upon the liar, he will but lie the more, for he believeth you to be deceived, while ye understand him but too well, and only remain silent out of your extreme compassion.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 158

We can be nice when people attack the Faith, but we are obligated to defend the Faith when it is attacked, as it is on this forum, constantly.

“Warn, O Salmán, the beloved of the one true God, not to view with too critical an eye the sayings and writings of men. Let them rather approach such sayings and writings in a spirit of open-mindedness and loving sympathy. Those men, however, who, in this Day, have been led to assail, in their inflammatory writings, the tenets of the Cause of God, are to be treated differently. It is incumbent upon all men, each according to his ability, to refute the arguments of those that have attacked the Faith of God. Thus hath it been decreed by Him Who is the All-Powerful, the Almighty. He that wisheth to promote the Cause of the one true God, let him promote it through his pen and tongue, rather than have recourse to sword or violence. We have, on a previous occasion, revealed this injunction, and We now confirm it, if ye be of them that comprehend. By the righteousness of Him Who, in this Day, crieth within the inmost heart of all created things: “God, there is none other God besides Me!” If any man were to arise to defend, in his writings, the Cause of God against its assailants, such a man, however inconsiderable his share, shall be so honored in the world to come that the Concourse on high would envy his glory. No pen can depict the loftiness of his station, neither can any tongue describe its splendor. For whosoever standeth firm and steadfast in this holy, this glorious, and exalted Revelation, such power shall be given him as to enable him to face and withstand all that is in heaven and on earth. Of this God is Himself a witness.Gleanings From the Writings of Baha'u'llah, pp. 329-330

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The Baha'i writings are full of prophecy.

Many happened, many are unfolding, many more will happen as time unfolds.

I will not repost any. Easy to find on the Net.

Regards Tony
You really want me looking up Baha'i on the internet?
The appointed body of the Universal House of Justice in its first stage, once and for all, hereby resolves that:

Based upon the Explicit Holy Text and the clear and manifest proofs and evidences contained within, and in accordance with, the revealed statements of Baha'u'llah, 'Abdu'l-Baha, and Shoghi Effendi, the Universal House of Justice shall be comprised of both men and women.

And furthermore, that:

The membership of both men and women on the Universal House of Justice is constituted within the Baha'i Administrative Order, that is, the membership of both men and women on the Universal House of Justice forms an irremovable part of the constitution of the Universal House of Justice in all its stages.

And therefore, that:

In conformity with, and in enforcement of, the Explicit Holy Text, if women are not elected to the Universal House of Justice then that election shall be declared invalid.
Why do I get a strange feeling these guys are a different type of Baha'i religion.

Skwim

Veteran Member

images

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Not being nice all the time and not turning the other cheek is sometimes necessary, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Kindness cannot be shown the tyrant, the deceiver, or the thief, because, far from awakening them to the error of their ways, it maketh them to continue in their perversity as before. No matter how much kindliness ye may expend upon the liar, he will but lie the more, for he believeth you to be deceived, while ye understand him but too well, and only remain silent out of your extreme compassion.”
And who do you see as being tyrants, deceivers and thieves and liars?

It is incumbent upon all men, each according to his ability, to refute the arguments of those that have attacked the Faith of God. Thus hath it been decreed by Him Who is the All-Powerful, the Almighty. He that wisheth to promote the Cause of the one true God, let him promote it through his pen and tongue, rather than have recourse to sword or violence.
Yeah, you are right. Don't be nice. Be as bad %#& as you want. But, who ya gonna convince that you have anything good? I know. It's not your job to convince anybody. But then, what does it mean to "promote" the Cause? Oh, and what's that about remaining in silence? Like you're really going to do that? Carry on doing what you're doing. Like who am I to suggest you try and be nicer.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
What was the reason, if any? A larger earthquake, i.e. the BIG one, the large number of homesexuals, or just those darn hippies?
That was in the 70's, and even though it was not official, some Baha'is used it. As I recall there was a book called "Pilgrim Notes". Maybe it came from there. But what a prophecy. It made all us young hippies think the time was near and we better get on board with the Baha'is. I think Baha'is were told to get out of all big cities, so I think war with the USSR and China what I was thinking. In fact, I think there was words like "melting" in there also. So if San Francisco would have been destroyed by an earthquake, you know me, I would have called the Baha'is false prophets. I would have said, "See, it didn't get blown up. It fell down. You guys are such liars!"

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I did not leave them out as they are all from the same tree, a tree produces more than one fruit. The source feeds the buds, flowers and produces the resulting fruit.

They are all connected to the source from the roots to the trunk branches twigs and leaves.

The tree of life explains all Faith from God, the source of all creation.

Regards Tony
Good analogy. So truth is the tree. And it has lots of truth branches. On those different branches are different flowers, buds and fruit. Some branches get pruned, and some fruit is rotten though? And, what if some other fruit trees get grafted into that truth trunk, then some parts of the tree would be producing different kinds of truth. Yeah, that analogy works great... kind of? But that's not progressive revelation.

Your grade school analogy works better there. Kids go to the first grade, get taught one thing. Go to the next grade and get taught something else. Some kids only believe what their first grade teacher taught them, so they stay there. Then after all these grades, a teacher comes along and says that "the story about Isaac isn't true. Other things you were taught as true are fairytales, like a 6 day Creation. The things in the next grade about Jesus being God and being resurrected... not true. What I teach you is the truth. So come to my graduate program and forget most of what you were taught. Now listen and take notes. You will be tested. In the beginning was a tree, that was God. On that tree were many branches..."

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
No, the Messianic prophecies were not fulfilled in 1844 because they refer to an age, not a single event.
There is NOTHING in the Bible that says the Messiah will fulfill these prophecies Himself during his lifetime. They They will be fulfilled when humans fulfill them by following the teachings of Baha'u'llah.
Says the person that doesn't study the Bible. Ya think maybe IndigoChild might know more than you about that? But no, it doesn't matter, because you find some way to make everything you say the truth. Like when you say all the prophecies have been fulfilled, and now you say that some were not fulfilled. Could you clarify that?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I never read it that way. The Prophecy is will be firmly established. I see that the currently toothless UN is that established. Now we have to learn how to really use a Unity of nations. It may be it evolves into another union built upon stronger foundations.

League of Nations changed to United Nations, it may change to?

Do not scoff at what will come, start in earnest in building unity. The cities will fall, how many how far? Look at the past and ask where are all the great materialisations and their structures!

Regards Tony
Yes, but all religions have their visions for the future and how we will get there. Yours might be right, but it might be wrong. But I will give you this, it's a helluva a lot better than what Fundy Christians are saying. Forget San Francisco, the whole world is going to go through hell. Oh, and it's not "scoffing" as much as pointing out misinformation... or a possible false prophecy. Which wouldn't be good. So who said what and when? And if it was Shoghi, why did he say something that didn't come true?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Did you read the question? Not what I asked. What I asked was for the reason given at the time said prophecy was made.
Wait let me jump in also. I don't always agree with Tony, but in this case he's right. Someday something bad is going to happen in and around San Francisco. Mark my words. If there is a nuclear war, San Francisco might get hit. Also, I don't know how great a chance for it is, but there just might be some seismic activity in that area that might knock down a few buildings.

I know... I know, you think I'm like a prophet or something. But let's wait and see if it comes to pass before you do that. You will give me a few years before you accuse me of telling a false prophecy won't you? Like at least 50? Nah, better make it a hundred. I don't want to take any chances.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Baha'u'llah said very little about Sanatana Dharma.
Yeshua warns about "I Am" conscious fakes that come after, claiming to be from the Divine (Mark 13:5-6, Matthew 24:4-5, Luke 21:8); the Gospel of John is thus clearly made up to catch out hypocrites, who don't fathom the Dharma.

Yeshua taught to hate self (Luke 14:26), worshipping only the Source, which is also selfless according to his teachings (Matthew 6:24, Matthew 22:37-38).

Baha'u'llah made him self the 'Spirit of Truth' from the false Gospel of John, and the "I Am" consciousness, as he didn't recognize Source doesn't have a self.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Wait let me jump in also. I don't always agree with Tony, but in this case he's right. Someday something bad is going to happen in and around San Francisco. Mark my words. If there is a nuclear war, San Francisco might get hit. Also, I don't know how great a chance for it is, but there just might be some seismic activity in that area that might knock down a few buildings.

I know... I know, you think I'm like a prophet or something. But let's wait and see if it comes to pass before you do that. You will give me a few years before you accuse me of telling a false prophecy won't you? Like at least 50? Nah, better make it a hundred. I don't want to take any chances.
I'm outa here within 30 so I won't know, and memories like that don't carry over with the soul, so the whole idea is moot unless it happens real soon. But if SF goes, so will LA, Seattle , Vancouver, Portland.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Good analogy. So truth is the tree. And it has lots of truth branches. On those different branches are different flowers, buds and fruit. Some branches get pruned, and some fruit is rotten though? And, what if some other fruit trees get grafted into that truth trunk, then some parts of the tree would be producing different kinds of truth. Yeah, that analogy works great... kind of? But that's not progressive revelation.

Your grade school analogy works better there. Kids go to the first grade, get taught one thing. Go to the next grade and get taught something else. Some kids only believe what their first grade teacher taught them, so they stay there. Then after all these grades, a teacher comes along and says that "the story about Isaac isn't true. Other things you were taught as true are fairytales, like a 6 day Creation. The things in the next grade about Jesus being God and being resurrected... not true. What I teach you is the truth. So come to my graduate program and forget most of what you were taught. Now listen and take notes. You will be tested. In the beginning was a tree, that was God. On that tree were many branches..."

For the east/west paradigm difference two different trees of vastly different species would be far more accurate of an analogy.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
What was the reason, if any? A larger earthquake, i.e. the BIG one, the large number of homesexuals, or just those darn hippies?
This might be the quote:
Shoghi Effendi, in 1954, has thus clearly and urgently warned all the people of the world and especially those chosen few living within the United States of America:

"Baha'is must have a new way of life. They need to be different from other people. They must be distinguished. The more distinguished, the more they will attract people. The greater the distinction, the greater the attraction. They must read the Tablets of the Covenant of 'Abdu'l-Baha (Will and Testament of 'Abdu'l-Baha) and study the Text of the Teaching (the Book of the Covenant of Baha'u'llah, the Kitab-i-Ahd). It is not enough to be good and kind and to lead a religious life today; it does not count for much unless one accepts the Manifestation of God and His Covenant, and the successors named therein. If one has heard of Him; it is almost wasted. One must accept the Manifestation in His day. If one has not heard of Baha'u'llah, they are not to blame; the blame lies with the Baha'is. If the Baha'is fail to teach the Faith, the people who do not hear of the Faith are not to blame. The blame lies with the Baha'is."

"The young people must disperse far away, the old ones to outlying places; they must settle goal cities. Sell your property and pioneer! The young people of America should go out into the country on farms and work with their hands and produce food for their families."

"The cycle of six thousand years of city building has come to an end, and now we will have a new pattern starting with villages, etc. Material civilization is becoming like the ancient city of Babylon, and it must be destroyed."

"Americans are exposed to great dangers. Today the power of America is in the hands of the masses. There is a terrific power in the press, and the people are swayed by it. The United States, on a national scale, sets the pattern for an international pattern. There will be a World Civil War, followed by the establishment of a world state; all the nations will be a part of it and will have to conform to it. This war has already started..."

"Mankind cannot be purified and cleansed without suffering. It is positively dangerous to live in cities. The cities are doomed. They will go up in smoke. They will evaporate. The Baha'is must disperse from the cities...why do they not disperse? If they do not respond and disperse, they will suffer spiritually, materially, and physically. In America the destruction will be great! They must disperse for their own protection. The cities are doomed: New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles... America will become the storm center of the future."

"Those with independent means must pack up and go. Those with spirit must pack up and go. There must be a mass response. I can warn them, but I cannot make them go. The Cause will triumph in spite of the actions and inactivity of the believers. If one country falls down, another will make up for it. The Baha'is have been given the method. Now they must have the spirit. It is hopeless for capable teachers in the cities (the people will not listen). The friends are calculating too much, and there is too much emphasis on nonessentials."

"People are flocking to churches through fear. Americans must have a totally new way of life, become a race of wholly devoted souls, devoted to God and His ways. They must get to a simpler way of life. The standards of America must be lowered, have fewer luxuries. Americans do not have enough belief in God, not enough detachment. They must be more spiritual, disencumber themselves from things, have Baha'i standards, not American standards. Americans are too materialistic, too mechanized, too attached to family, health, and death. There must be less materialism, less intellectualism, and more spirit. America is the most disturbed nation, politically, on earth. There is too much organization in America and too little spirit."

"Reflections such as these should steel the resolve of the entire Baha'i community, should dissipate their forebodings, and arose them TO REDEDICATE THEMSELVES TO EVERY SINGLE PROVISION OF THAT DIVINE CHARTER-the sacred Will and Testament-whose outline has been delineated for them by the pen of 'Abdu'l-Baha." (Shoghi Effendi, Advent of Divine Justice, p. 73)

"This House of Justice enacteth the laws and the government enforceth them. The legislative body must reinforce the executive, the executive must aid and assist the legislative body so that through the close union and harmony of these two forces, the foundation of fairness and justice may become firm and strong, that all the regions of the world may become even as Paradise itself." (Will and Testament of 'Abdu'l-Baha, page 15)

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
For the east/west paradigm difference two different trees of vastly different species would be far more accurate of an analogy.
They can't very well exclude Hindus. But, as is, they can't accept them. No founder don't work, so Krishna was the closest thing they could find. But are there sects of Hinduism that have already added Baha'u'llah into their beliefs? Of course with necessary changes to some Baha'i beliefs that would contradict their already established beliefs.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They can't very well exclude Hindus. But, as is, they can't accept them. No founder don't work, so Krishna was the closest thing they could find. But are there sects of Hinduism that have already added Baha'u'llah into their beliefs? Of course with necessary changes to some Baha'i beliefs that would contradict their already established beliefs.
As far as I know, not a single Hindu has added Baha'ullah to their paradigm, unless it's in some remote villages where such religions like Baha'i target the less educated because they're vulnerable targets for conversion. It makes absolutely no sense to most. The common idea would be 'never heard of the guy'. The Baha'i claim to have about 2 million followers in India, but the India census says about 4000. Go figure.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This might be the quote:
Shoghi Effendi, in 1954, has thus clearly and urgently warned all the people of the world and especially those chosen few living within the United States of America:

"Baha'is must have a new way of life. They need to be different from other people. They must be distinguished. The more distinguished, the more they will attract people. The greater the distinction, the greater the attraction. They must read the Tablets of the Covenant of 'Abdu'l-Baha (Will and Testament of 'Abdu'l-Baha) and study the Text of the Teaching (the Book of the Covenant of Baha'u'llah, the Kitab-i-Ahd). It is not enough to be good and kind and to lead a religious life today; it does not count for much unless one accepts the Manifestation of God and His Covenant, and the successors named therein. If one has heard of Him; it is almost wasted. One must accept the Manifestation in His day. If one has not heard of Baha'u'llah, they are not to blame; the blame lies with the Baha'is. If the Baha'is fail to teach the Faith, the people who do not hear of the Faith are not to blame. The blame lies with the Baha'is."

"The young people must disperse far away, the old ones to outlying places; they must settle goal cities. Sell your property and pioneer! The young people of America should go out into the country on farms and work with their hands and produce food for their families."

"The cycle of six thousand years of city building has come to an end, and now we will have a new pattern starting with villages, etc. Material civilization is becoming like the ancient city of Babylon, and it must be destroyed."

"Americans are exposed to great dangers. Today the power of America is in the hands of the masses. There is a terrific power in the press, and the people are swayed by it. The United States, on a national scale, sets the pattern for an international pattern. There will be a World Civil War, followed by the establishment of a world state; all the nations will be a part of it and will have to conform to it. This war has already started..."

"Mankind cannot be purified and cleansed without suffering. It is positively dangerous to live in cities. The cities are doomed. They will go up in smoke. They will evaporate. The Baha'is must disperse from the cities...why do they not disperse? If they do not respond and disperse, they will suffer spiritually, materially, and physically. In America the destruction will be great! They must disperse for their own protection. The cities are doomed: New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles... America will become the storm center of the future."

"Those with independent means must pack up and go. Those with spirit must pack up and go. There must be a mass response. I can warn them, but I cannot make them go. The Cause will triumph in spite of the actions and inactivity of the believers. If one country falls down, another will make up for it. The Baha'is have been given the method. Now they must have the spirit. It is hopeless for capable teachers in the cities (the people will not listen). The friends are calculating too much, and there is too much emphasis on nonessentials."

"People are flocking to churches through fear. Americans must have a totally new way of life, become a race of wholly devoted souls, devoted to God and His ways. They must get to a simpler way of life. The standards of America must be lowered, have fewer luxuries. Americans do not have enough belief in God, not enough detachment. They must be more spiritual, disencumber themselves from things, have Baha'i standards, not American standards. Americans are too materialistic, too mechanized, too attached to family, health, and death. There must be less materialism, less intellectualism, and more spirit. America is the most disturbed nation, politically, on earth. There is too much organization in America and too little spirit."

"Reflections such as these should steel the resolve of the entire Baha'i community, should dissipate their forebodings, and arose them TO REDEDICATE THEMSELVES TO EVERY SINGLE PROVISION OF THAT DIVINE CHARTER-the sacred Will and Testament-whose outline has been delineated for them by the pen of 'Abdu'l-Baha." (Shoghi Effendi, Advent of Divine Justice, p. 73)

"This House of Justice enacteth the laws and the government enforceth them. The legislative body must reinforce the executive, the executive must aid and assist the legislative body so that through the close union and harmony of these two forces, the foundation of fairness and justice may become firm and strong, that all the regions of the world may become even as Paradise itself." (Will and Testament of 'Abdu'l-Baha, page 15)

Wow, that's powerful stuff. Worthy of a fundamentalist mega-church preacher screaming at his crowd.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
And who do you see as being tyrants, deceivers and thieves and liars?
Wouldn't you like to know.
Yeah, you are right. Don't be nice. Be as bad %#& as you want. But, who ya gonna convince that you have anything good? I know. It's not your job to convince anybody. But then, what does it mean to "promote" the Cause? Oh, and what's that about remaining in silence? Like you're really going to do that? Carry on doing what you're doing. Like who am I to suggest you try and be nicer.
Nobody says I am not nice but you. I don't wonder way. You are using this forum as a platform to deride the Baha'is and the Baha'i Faith just because you have decided you do not like it, pretending to ask questions you want answers to, but the answers have been provided and you just keep asking the same questions over and over and over again. That way you can hide your contempt, but not from me. Then when I call you out you say I am not nice.

You just don't like me standing up to you because the other Baha'is let you carry on unabated.
Carry on doing what you're doing. Apparently you are getting something out of it.