• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will subsequent generations blame us for - even if it is a bit pointless?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As many seem to do for the Boomers now, for instance. And this question applies to all, not just one's own particular country.

Some possible areas for accusations:

1. Slow progress in equality rights, especially for females. Whether this is mainly from cultural aspects or religious doctrine. It might seem so obvious to many of us but apparently not so to many others. On the other hand, perhaps many today will hope this doesn't change.

2. Treatment of other life, such as using them for our own convenience (they exist to serve/please us) or in destroying their habitat (our priorities take precedence).

3. Disgust over how we treat the environment - since we apparently believe we own it rather than renting it (and shared renting at that).

4. Failure to apply equality to children, such as where religious beliefs are often forced upon them.

5. Our ability to ignore the greed of so many - often incidentally obtained but also often obtained by exploiting others - and where the disparity between the richest and poorest is just a 'fact of life' rather than a concern that the system is not working properly - for the many, that is.

6. Our attitudes to crime and punishment. And related to this, how we are monitored and examined so readily so as to leave little for any private life.

7. Our attitudes to sexuality, gender, and the rights we afford to many, or don't.

Comments, additions, subtractions?

PS I am technically a war-baby (WWII), being inside mummy and waiting until the war was over before emerging - possibly the most sensible thing I have ever done. :D

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Wasting good internet space setting up forums that, at best, are exercises in futility...

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
As many seem to do for the Boomers now, for instance. And this question applies to all, not just one's own particular country.

1. Slow progress in equality rights, especially for females. Whether this is mainly from cultural aspects or religious doctrine. It might seem so obvious to many of us but apparently not so to many others. On the other hand, perhaps many today will hope this doesn't change.

2. Treatment of other life, such as using them for our own convenience (they exist to serve/please us) or in destroying their habitat (our priorities take precedence).

3. Disgust over how we treat the environment - since we apparently believe we own it rather than renting it (and shared renting at that).

4. Failure to apply equality to children, such as where religious beliefs are often forced upon them.

5. Our ability to ignore the greed of so many - often incidentally obtained but also often obtained by exploiting others - and where the disparity between the richest and poorest is just a 'fact of life' rather than a concern that the system is not working properly - for the many, that is.

6. Our attitudes to crime and punishment. And related to this, how we are monitored and examined so readily so as to leave little for any private life.

7. Our attitudes to sexuality, gender, and the rights we afford to many, or don't.

PS I am technically a war-baby (WWII), being inside mummy and waiting until the war was over before emerging - possibly the most sensible thing I have ever done. :D

I never understood this. I don't blame past generations, I don't blame my parents or others for who I am. I accept responsibility for myself and my actions. I would hope that future generations understand and practice this. If all you do is blame nothing will get done. If you accept responsibility it can be fixed.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I was born somewhere along the cusp between the Baby Boomers and Generation X. My older cousins of the same generation were about ready to start college while I was still an infant (although they tell me I won the "cutest baby" contest, so I've always got that going for me).

The Baby Boomers were the products of those who are commonly known as The Greatest Generation - the ones who got through the Depression and fought WW2. The Boomers were the primary recipients of the benefits brought about through the actions of the Greatest Generation. They didn't have to go through the Depression, they didn't have to go through WW2, they didn't have to walk to school barefoot in the snow or work in a factory at age 12. They were the beneficiaries of the greatest economic boom in history.

By the time I was born and just a wee lad growing up in the 60s, the Boomers were in full bloom (or "full boom," I should say). Being as young as I was, I didn't really quite grasp the issues of the day, but some things I could pick up on rather quickly. But as a young child, my impressions of the issues of the time were also influenced by those of my grandparents' generation who didn't think too highly of the hippies and Boomers whom they thought of as "spoiled brats."

I think there were many high-minded ideals that the Boomers once believed in, although it may have become evident to them that some of those ideals were impractical. Many of them gave up their rebellious ways, left the communes, and "joined the establishment." However, they still enjoyed the sex, drugs, and rock & roll in copious amounts. Perhaps a bit of temporary insanity during the Disco era, but fortunately that didn't last too long.

There are others who might say that they sold out. They once had high-minded ideals, hopes, and aspirations for the future, yet in later years, they turned out to be no different than the older generations they scorned.

Do you remember the Who song "My Generation"? I look back at that now, and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. "Hope I die before I get old." Easy to say when you're young.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I never understood this. I don't blame past generations, I don't blame my parents or others for who I am. I accept responsibility for myself and my actions. I would hope that future generations understand and practice this. If all you do is blame nothing will get done. If you accept responsibility it can be fixed.

It seems that those who want to point at "your generation" tend to forget that it's now "their generation". It also appears that they consider any generation but theirs as one homogeneous entity instead of individuals. Many of us realize that we have very little control of the forces that shape our time; we do what we can, but that's all we can do short of controlling our reactions to our world.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Quite. Same here. I had parents who went through at least one atrocious war, with their parents doing likewise too, so the effects of this travel down the generations like ripples, and they had to deal with what they experienced just as we and every other generation has to do. As individuals we hardly have a voice in anything. But no doubt many people will place the blame somewhere - convenient.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I was born somewhere along the cusp between the Baby Boomers and Generation X. My older cousins of the same generation were about ready to start college while I was still an infant (although they tell me I won the "cutest baby" contest, so I've always got that going for me).

The Baby Boomers were the products of those who are commonly known as The Greatest Generation - the ones who got through the Depression and fought WW2. The Boomers were the primary recipients of the benefits brought about through the actions of the Greatest Generation. They didn't have to go through the Depression, they didn't have to go through WW2, they didn't have to walk to school barefoot in the snow or work in a factory at age 12. They were the beneficiaries of the greatest economic boom in history.

By the time I was born and just a wee lad growing up in the 60s, the Boomers were in full bloom (or "full boom," I should say). Being as young as I was, I didn't really quite grasp the issues of the day, but some things I could pick up on rather quickly. But as a young child, my impressions of the issues of the time were also influenced by those of my grandparents' generation who didn't think too highly of the hippies and Boomers whom they thought of as "spoiled brats."

I think there were many high-minded ideals that the Boomers once believed in, although it may have become evident to them that some of those ideals were impractical. Many of them gave up their rebellious ways, left the communes, and "joined the establishment." However, they still enjoyed the sex, drugs, and rock & roll in copious amounts. Perhaps a bit of temporary insanity during the Disco era, but fortunately that didn't last too long.

There are others who might say that they sold out. They once had high-minded ideals, hopes, and aspirations for the future, yet in later years, they turned out to be no different than the older generations they scorned.

Do you remember the Who song "My Generation"? I look back at that now, and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. "Hope I die before I get old." Easy to say when you're young.

Perhaps the USA experienced things a little differently than in the UK, and Boomers seems to imply a uniform group, which is never the case. Critics in the UK tend to point out how the Boomers had it better but they seem to have forgotten they did have rationing until 1954, did suffer the three-day week in the 1970s, did have many strikes disrupting industry along with recessions, and not that many got to university even if grants were available. And many of their parents had to work hard in order to provide - such as my mother working nights at a local hospital, and where we missed her being around when needed.

As per the USA no doubt, not all of us bought into the sex, drugs, and rock & roll - someone got my share of the first two, and my taste fortunately expanded further than the latter. :D

PS I missed the Who, apparently playing at the Marquee, as I moved out of London, but I did get to see the Yardbirds there for a bit.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

They will probably be too busy dealing with their own problems to notice.

Laika

Premium Member

The Continued inflation of the price of Cadbury's Fredo Frogs chocolate bars. (In case you yanks don't know) It's an absolutely tiny bar of shaped chocolate and the price rises are something of a national joke in the UK. Its risen five times faster than the rate of inflation in the past two decades. Future generations will never forgive us. What have we done to deserve this? Oh the humanity! :D

wpid-2011-11-01-21.36.51.jpg

4221396001_5280862383001_5280839397001-vs.jpg

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
The Continued inflation of the price of Cadbury's Fredo Frogs chocolate bars. (In case you yanks don't know) It's an absolutely tiny bar of shaped chocolate and the price rises are something of a national joke in the UK. Its risen five times faster than the rate of inflation in the past two decades. Future generations will never forgive us. What have we done to deserve this? Oh the humanity! :D

It's terrible! When they're not raising the prices, they're reducing the weight. Chocolate Capitalism gone mad! Willy Wonka would be turning in his grave, or chocolate fountain or whatever.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

My teeth have informed me these are purely on the lust list, and not to be consumed - by mouth at least. :oops: