• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will happen to RF and maybe the world if..

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What will happen to RF and even the world of human beings if we stop having different opinions, different views, and different understandings of life?
Do not different opinions, views and understanding make it possible for us to grow as a person?

Is it not "normal" to sometimes disagree?
Should one person be able to "dictate" what others should be able to say or do?

Heyo

Veteran Member
What will happen to RF and even the world of human beings if we stop having different opinions, different views, and different understandings of life?
Do not different opinions, views and understanding make it possible for us to grow as a person?

Ask the ants how it works for them.

Nimos

If it should ever happen that there were no different opinions and everyone were always in an agreement, the human race would come to an almost complete hold in development.

There would most likely be no emotions left and we would be more like robots than anything else.

Just using the pandemic as an example...
Imagine a pandemic 3 times as bad as the current one. And we don't have enough equipment to save everyone. Someone or the person in charge say that we are going to spend all the ressources saving India, everyone else just have to die. No one would disagree and all think that it was the best idea ever :D

Also if such person is not like a God, meaning able to know everything, it would also mean that such person might not find it all that important to be especially prepared for such things, so the knowledge about pandemics and varies disease would put us way behind in terms of being able to react to a crisis once it occur.

So obviously it not possible, but just as a thought experiments its sort of funny to think of. But yeah I think it would very quickly turn out to be the end of humanity as we know it. :)

Laika

Premium Member

You're almost given yourself too much credit as RF is remarkably conformist and has a stable consensus of views but doesn't have conscious and deliberate regulations of people's views. So RF spontaneously tends to reflect the mainstream views in society, though it is slightly left-of-centre for the USA. There is an almost Darwinian process of natural selection of opinions favouring the consensus with non-mainstream views getting selected out by the social pressures involved. But just start a thread saying homosexuality is unnatural and immoral and watch the torrent of posts extend in to dozen of pages of outrage. There are clearly areas of debate where you "aren't supposed to go" on here even without rules prohibiting it. Or just say how wonderful Trump is, or praise Hitler as a "caring leader" who supported animal rights and was a vegetarian. Stand back and watch the fire works! :D

Meanwhile, on communist and fascist forums there is often some degree of exclusion of "non-believers", such as in an "opposing views" sub-forum where they can congregate but aren't able to access the rest of the forums. (It's like a "free speech zone" or "gulag" where people can't do any damage). These kind of regulations are partly down to security considerations as you don't want any personal or identifying information getting leaked as that can have real world consequences such as losing your job, getting black listed and is thankfully rare occasions, violence. It is also because having people who roughly agree makes for a more stable and durable community.

Assumptions about tolerance and pluralism generally only apply in relatively liberal and mainstream contexts, whilst other communities function reasonably well without it. Even with such stringent limitations there can be a vast disagreements between people and these groups are far from homogeneous or monolithic. e.g. Stalin versus Trotsky debates are as common on communist forums as efforts to "define" atheism are on RF. Christian forums appears to have a small minority of flat-earthers based on debates on scripture. And so on.

To one degree or another, all forums involve some level of "dictatorship" over what you can or cannot say. RF officially forbids swear words and the word filter catches most of them but doesn't go after specific political or religious opinions. Other forums do so with varying degrees of wisdom and effectiveness.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You're almost given yourself too much credit as RF is remarkably conformist and has a stable consensus of views but doesn't have conscious and deliberate regulations of people's views. So RF spontaneously tends to reflect the mainstream views in society, though it is slightly left-of-centre for the USA. There is an almost Darwinian process of natural selection of opinions favouring the consensus with non-mainstream views getting selected out by the social pressures involved. But just start a thread saying homosexuality is unnatural and immoral and watch the torrent of posts extend in to dozen of pages of outrage. There are clearly areas of debate where you "aren't supposed to go" on here even without rules prohibiting it. Or just say how wonderful Trump is, or praise Hitler as a "caring leader" who supported animal rights and was a vegetarian. Stand back and watch the fire works! :D

Meanwhile, on communist and fascist forums there is often some degree of exclusion of "non-believers", such as in an "opposing views" sub-forum where they can congregate but aren't able to access the rest of the forums. (It's like a "free speech zone" or "gulag" where people can't do any damage). These kind of regulations are partly down to security considerations as you don't want any personal or identifying information getting leaked as that can have real world consequences such as losing your job, getting black listed and is thankfully rare occasions, violence. It is also because having people who roughly agree makes for a more stable and durable community.

Assumptions about tolerance and pluralism generally only apply in relatively liberal and mainstream contexts, whilst other communities function reasonably well without it. Even with such stringent limitations there can be a vast disagreements between people and these groups are far from homogeneous or monolithic. e.g. Stalin versus Trotsky debates are as common on communist forums as efforts to "define" atheism are on RF. Christian forums appears to have a small minority of flat-earthers based on debates on scripture. And so on.

To one degree or another, all forums involve some level of "dictatorship" over what you can or cannot say. RF officially forbids swear words and the word filter catches most of them but doesn't go after specific political or religious opinions. Other forums do so with varying degrees of wisdom and effectiveness.
Thank you for a long answer to my question :) I agree that RF rules are what should be what "dictate" what we can say and not say, to a degree. But my problem and the reason for the OP is that when one person tries to take away the rights of views and answers from others, then this person does not follow RF rules (in this case)
I do hope my own OP is within RF rules.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Humans have a tendency to wander off into la la land without other humans providing them with reality-checks. Unfortunately, they also have a tendency to wander off into la la land if and when those reality checks are intellectually dishonest.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Humans have a tendency to wander off into la la land without other humans providing them with reality-checks. Unfortunately, they also have a tendency to wander off into la la land if and when those reality checks are intellectually dishonest.
Thank you @Sunstone :) May i ask if my OP is within RF rules? if it is not maybe it would be better to remove it? I don't want to be causing personal attack

Laika

Premium Member
Thank you for a long answer to my question :) I agree that RF rules are what should be what "dictate" what we can say and not say, to a degree. But my problem and the reason for the OP is that when one person tries to take away the rights of views and answers from others, then this person does not follow RF rules (in this case)
I do hope my own OP is within RF rules.

pretty sure your OP is ok. Just stay away from discussing specific rules, users or incidents to be safe.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

There's an old adage that "necessity is the mother of invention", and I believe that applies with what you well say above. There's another old adage of "strength through diversity".

Does this mean I'm old? :emojconfused: