• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will happen if US/British/Nato forces lose in Afghanistan?

kai

ragamuffin
What are we trying to do, anyway?

what do you think we are trying to do? some people have a tendencies to criticize UN and Nato work in Afghanistan without putting forward any kind of argument rather they just argue because they dont like the US in particular.

The fact is the operations are UN authorised. what we are trying to do is give the Afghans a life that's not governed by the whip or a bullet, with schools, hospitals, clean drinking water, some defence against diseases , an economy.In fact things we take for granted. and of course to make sure the country doesn't become a safe haven to terrorists again.along with a say in how they are governed.

yes it isn't easy and yes mistakes are made along the way. now what's the counter argument? and please don't give me the Imperialist colony thing or the Afghans don't want freedom from the Taliban or schools and hospitals, fresh water, Medicines,trade, and a say in who governs them.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's my impression, though, kai, that the UN was pressured into supporting a US offensive which, moreover, had little to do with humanitarian relief.

The mass of Afghans don't want us there, don't want the 'democracy' we're trying to push on them, and detest the "kangaroo government" we're supporting.

This "humanitarian initiative" seems to come up a lot in American military adventures. Usually it strikes me as a rather pitiful, post hoc, whitewash attempt.
If our motives are humanitarian we need a lot of improvement in our triage. It seems to me we could have twice the beneficial effect with half the effort and expense in places like Darfur or the Congo.

kai

ragamuffin
It's my impression, though, kai, that the UN was pressured into supporting a US offensive which, moreover, had little to do with humanitarian relief.I agree the Offensive was originally to destroy Alqueda but now is now

The mass of Afghans don't want us there, don't want the 'democracy' we're trying to push on them, and detest the "kangaroo government" we're supporting.
I agree the Afghans dont want us there but they dont want the Taliban or Alqueda there either, and do you have a source for the idea that Afghans dont want democracy?

This "humanitarian initiative" seems to come up a lot in American military adventures. Usually it strikes me as a rather pitiful, post hoc, whitewash attempt.
If our motives are humanitarian we need a lot of improvement in our triage. It seems to me we could have twice the beneficial effect with half the effort and expense in places like Darfur or the Congo.

You seem to be looking at it as a US military adventure and ignoring UN and ISAF involvement .The Afghans were under the impression that the invasion was coming to help them, not fight a war in their country ignoring them as they do so. The key to this is the development of Afghan infrastructure such as Medical centres and schools its the greatest weapon in anyone's arsenal against the likes of Taliban and Alqueda trouble is politicians have a remarkable nack of not seeing the blatantly obvious.

Last edited: