• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What We Thought

nPeace

Veteran Member
What does that mean to you, and what does it imply?
If you are a scientist, I would also like to hear from you on this question.

So that you understand what I mean, please read this article. Thanks.

The article is just an example, to highlight the fact that scientists often think things which they later realize is not correct.

I am really asking when you hear or read that clause - the title - in relation to certain things scientists believe, and claim, what does that mean to you, and what does it imply?

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Here is the problem Imagine using the scientific understanding and then imagine looking at picture of you mother and then her mother and so on. Continue and tell me when that mother is not a human and then look at her daughter and tell me why she is a human?
Do you understand the problem?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

As I have always suggested - humans have a long history, even if we only label the species as 'human' at some point in that history. And prior to this - just like so many other species - we will have exhibited enough intelligence to use whatever we found in our environment to survive. Just as other non-human species do too.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Seems the OP wasn't clear. My apologies.
The article was just an example, to highlight the fact that scientists often think things which they later realize was not correct.

I was really asking when you hear or read that clause - the title - in relation to certain things scientists believe, and claim, what does that mean to you, and what does it imply?

Should I adgust the OP so that it reflects that? I think I had better do that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Seems the OP wasn't clear. My apologies.
The article was just an example, to highlight the fact that scientists often think things which they later realize was not correct.

I was really asking when you hear or read that clause - the title - in relation to certain things scientists believe, and claim, what does that mean to you, and what does it imply?

Should I adgust the OP so that it reflects that? I think I had better do that.
The fact that science is self-correcting in the face of evidence that contradicts a previous understanding is a good thing. Don't you agree?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Everyone thinks things that prove to be not correct. Scientists make it their mission to weed out these incorrect conclusions and correct them.

OTOH, religion is often quite incorrect, but in the face of contradictory evidence doubles down and refuses to correct itself.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Everyone thinks things that prove to be not correct. Scientists make it their mission to weed out these incorrect conclusions and correct them.

OTOH, religion is often quite incorrect, but in the face of contradictory evidence doubles down and refuses to correct itself.

There is more to the everyday world than science and religion.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
So, what is it correcting? What is the previous understand called - a fact, belief, or something else?

You really try to win by playing words. Here is your problem. You win and yet the rest of us who acts differently than you and continue to do so.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't understand.
An unquestionable assumption is not a belief?
If there is no proof for an _______, is it not a belief?

Then everything is a belief, because proof is based on beliefs, if you understand how proof works. But not all belief are exactly the same, though they are equal for the category of belonging to the set of beliefs.

nPeace

Veteran Member

Why do you believe that religion "in the face of contradictory evidence doubles down and refuses to correct itself"?
Have you seen this in all religion?
If not, why do you generalize?