• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What we think we become.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I don't define myself by my biology. I consider myself someone who with an animal nature has the capacity to be spiritual. Spiritual to me is someone who is beholden to the virtues. If we can't rise above the animal nature we are doomed.

In this world one has to mind one's animal nature though. You can't neglect the creature, while rising above it's nature.

muhammad_isa

I don't define myself by my biology. I consider myself someone who with an animal nature has the capacity to be spiritual. Spiritual to me is someone who is beholden to the virtues. If we can't rise above the animal nature we are doomed.
Mmm, but I'd just like to say that it is not non-humans that are destroying the planet..
..and "population" is not a reasonable excuse !

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
They are not accountable for their actions like we are.

In what respect? Non-human animals are, indeed, accountable for their actions in many respects.

They haven't got that kind of soul. i.e. can follow good or evil path

This is because outside of the human paradigm, the man-made concepts of “good” and “evil” do not exist.

muhammad_isa

This is because outside of the human paradigm, the man-made concepts of “good” and “evil” do not exist.
They really do exist !

How come it's mankind that is destroying the planet, and not non-humans?
Almighty God has given us guidance on how to live our lives.
Do we follow it? Not many.. :(

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
They really do exist !

I didn't say they don't exist. I said they don't exist outside the human paradigm. If you are suggesting they do, please provide an example of where.

How come it's mankind that is destroying the planet, and not non-humans?
Almighty God has given us guidance on how to live our lives.
Do we follow it? Not many.. :(

It's arrogant of humans to think man can destroy the planet. Mankind is destroying itself. The planet will be around well after man becomes extinct.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It's arrogant of humans to think man can destroy the planet.

Yes the planet will be in existence long after the demise of the human species, but we are certainly significantly denuding the biosphere in various ways. I think this is what people mean when they say we are destroying the planet; I certainly use that expression and for it to mean that. :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes the planet will be in existence long after the demise of the human species, but we are certainly significantly denuding the biosphere in various ways. I think this is what people mean when they say we are destroying the planet; I certainly use that expression and for it to mean that. :)

I don't see us as separate from the planet. There is no "we" and "the planet." We are the planet. We didn't come from an external source. If we denude the biosphere, there will be no "we." Fundamentally, we are the planet ridding itself of what harming it.

muhammad_isa

It's arrogant of humans to think man can destroy the planet. Mankind is destroying itself. The planet will be around well after man becomes extinct.
Being pedantic, are we?
I meant "for human life"..

However, humans CAN destroy the planet [ if God allows it ] .. they have the know how to bring it out of orbit.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Being pedantic, are we?
I meant "for human life"..

Then perhaps you should say what you mean to prevent "pedantic" responses.

However, humans CAN destroy the planet [ if God allows it ] .. they have the know how to bring it out of orbit.

Are you sure about that? There are a few theories as to how it could be done if you have 500 - 3,000,000,000,000 years to wait.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you think you are an animal you become an animal. If you think you are a spiritual being, you become a spiritual (in a body)

Your definition of animal and spiritual are different from mine. We are all animals from conception, and spiritual once we develop the ability to have the spiritual experience, which begins with things like the ability to experience satisfaction by doing good, or to connect with a pet.