• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What We Really Think

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
1. What worldview/religious title do you hold? Please be as specific as you can. If you're part of a religious movement, what denomination/tradition are you? If no title fits you well, give a brief description of your outlook.
Don't really subscribe to such that could be labelled although I suppose Secular Humanism might be close. My vision is for humans to become less fractious, wherever this tends to stem from, and to become more cohesive in our unity even as we will depart in so many ways because we are each so often very different from others. Hopefully such unity would then be able to solve some of our pressing issues, particularly with regards population growth, other life, and how we affect the health of our planet.
2. What do you believe about the afterlife? This should be your personal beliefs, not the generic beliefs of your tradition.
I don't have any expectations of such - this just not making much sense to me.
3. What, if any, spiritual practices do you participate in? (This can include meditation, attending services, prayer, dietary observances, etc)
None.
4. What are your feelings on modern science? How about the supernatural/paranormal?
As the only rational tool we have to explain much of our own existence and for proposing explanations for much else, I can hardly have much other than a certain amount of respect for science and for those so engaged. I suspect I might have gone this route had things been different in my childhood and youth. I have no particular belief in the supernatural or the paranormal, and like much else where the evidence is hardly overwhelming - not in my life at least - I have to leave such open to doubt.
5. What, if anything, do you feel is taboo?
Not a lot as to thinking and discussing issues but there are plenty of things I wouldn't do.
6. How do you view others outside of your worldview? How about those within?
They are just individuals with different beliefs - some I respect and others I don't. Those who tend to align with myself are obviously as right (or wrong) as I believe I am. :oops:
7. Does your religion/lack of have any bearing on your political outlook or choices? Why or why not?
I suppose it must, given that I would want more equality, freedoms, and less power differentials in the world - and hence tending to be more left-leaning.
8. Does your religion/lack of influence the way you interact with the Earth and the environment?
Yes, in having a certain respect for all life and towards our environment, given that if we do not take care of both we are likely to come a cropper down the line. And these two both deserve respect in their own right.
9. Lastly, what are your thoughts on God/ess/s?
A bit agnostic on this - and I don't see myself as qualified to make such a decision. Hence the issue is put back on the shelf - since it tends to meander off into self-indoctrination so often, merely by choosing which material to absorb and which to avoid. Too many here on RF it appears to me avoid science simply because they already have an alternate explanation for some particular thing, even when the science involved is rather robust.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

After rereading my post in this thread this morning, I realize I misread this question. I read it as how do others view your worldview?

How do I view others?

My signature says a lot about that.

Namaste means "I bow to the divine in you." When I say that, given my realization as my true nature as Brahman and my understanding of this true nature in others, I am literally recognizing my Self in others.

Others, as a result of experiencing Maya, have varying levels of understanding and realization, so there is no reason for me not to respect them for the path they've chosen to walk.

I don't make a distinction between others outside my worldview and those within. As I see it, we are all of the same nature. And I'm not only speaking of humans, but of every living being.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste means "I bow to the divine in you." When I say that, given my realization as my true nature as Brahman and my understanding of this true nature in others, I am literally recognizing my Self in others.

Others, as a result of experiencing Maya, have varying levels of understanding and realization, so there is no reason for me not to respect them for the path they've chosen to walk.

I don't make a distinction between others outside my worldview and those within. As I see it, we are all of the same nature. And I'm not only speaking of humans, but of every living being.

Beautiful, I had never realized that was what the namaste greeting meant. It is so much more spiritually rich in meaning than a mere, "how do you do?" or even "God bless you".

Last edited:

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
1. What worldview/religious title do you hold? Please be as specific as you can. If you're part of a religious movement, what denomination/tradition are you? If no title fits you well, give a brief description of your outlook.
Kemetic Pagan.

2. What do you believe about the afterlife? This should be your personal beliefs, not the generic beliefs of your tradition.
I believe we will be judged by a court of sorts, with a king and other such officials. This is the start of a journey that could lead to either reincarnation or life in another world. In Kemetic thought the netherworld is called the Duat and this is where everyone, regardless, goes when they die. I think from there one will be taken on a very different journey to others, tailored to one's own life etc. Some souls are so wicked they be extinguished while others need other chances.

3. What, if any, spiritual practices do you participate in? (This can include meditation, attending services, prayer, dietary observances, etc)
Candle lighting ritual.
Giving offerings of incense, food, drink.
Getting into the habit of three daily prayers to the Sun God.
Regular prayer.

20210710_150720_001.jpg

20210710_150733.jpg

20210710_150807.jpg

20210710_150812.jpg

20210710_150822.jpg

4. What are your feelings on modern science? How about the supernatural/paranormal?
Modern science is an effective tool, as others have said, for giving us information about the material universe. I have no problems with it. I believe in supernatural things and paranormal things such as ghosts etc. I think we don't see the world as it really is and we need to hone our more spiritual senses in order to perceive what's really there. I believe dreams are very meaningful and are basically another plane of one's existence. They can tell us things, prophesy things, and help us become closer to the Divine without the barriers of the material world.

Can't think of anything.

As folks with, as Rav Dror would say, holy souls.

7. Does your religion/lack of have any bearing on your political outlook or choices? Why or why not?
My belief in God gives me a conservative outlook that leads me to see all life as sacred and on a spiritual path. Certain choices, political or otherwise, either help us or hinder us on that path. Others I see as downright evil, such as elective abortion, as I believe life starts at conception because God put it there.

8. Does your religion/lack of influence the way you interact with the Earth and the environment?
Kind of. God gave us a beautiful world and we need to take care of it, but not much more than that.

I believe in God!

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not feeling well so I couldn't write as much as I would have liked, but there it is.

I wouldn't have guessed, your post is well put together. :) What book is it you're reading from?

I hope you feel better soon!

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

Those look really good! And reasonably priced, too! I might have to pick one of them up sometime...

(I love studying religion in general.)

Gargovic Malkav

I would call it Monotheism or Syncretic Monotheism if I have to slap a label on it.

I hold an idea of an afterlife to heart including concepts such as Final Judgment and a heaven/paradise vs hell spectrum.
I'm open to the possibility of reincarnation as well but is not really relevant to me in deciding how I ought to live my life.

I perform daily ritual prayers. How many times a day depends on my state of mind and circumstances as I consider prayer useless when my mind is distracted by other things or feel that the repetition has an atrophying effect on my mind.
Right now the standard is 2 times a day.
I also avoid eating pork.
Meditation.. maybe, I don't really have meditation sessions but there are some mundane activities (such as sweeping a path, walking, removing weeds from a garden, or just spending time with friends or relatives without really interacting with them but just being there) I would describe as meditative, but I'm not sure that counts.

It's undeniable that science has made us good at getting what we want and bend things to our liking. In my opinion, it is a mistake to see this as moral progress. Science and the mental constructs and technologies we invent based on that knowledge can be used for good things as well, sure, but I don't believe it's as necessary as many of us like to believe.

With supernatural/paranormal, I assume you mean stuff like ghosts or angels or demons.
I do believe in angels and demons. I can also see things through an animist's lens making practically everything spirit/ghost-like.
I'm open to the possibility of other paranormal things(such as ghosts, poltergeists, cryptozoological creatures) but don't really occupy myself much about whether it's real or not, despite the fact that I love reading/hearing about paranormal stuff, but that's mainly for entertainment.

There are things I consider evil, but taboo in the sense that even speaking of it should be avoided... nothing I think.

Since religion/spirituality is relatively new to me, and live in a world where many people are either not fond of religion, or tend to gravitate towards teachings that are either indifferent towards the Good vs Evil thing, or teachings in which they see a reason to "deify" themselves, I struggled a lot on how to deal with those with different views. I've had periods where I was very black and white in my thinking and had even considered moving to another country where religious laws would be the norm. This "trying too hard" made me very restless, paranoid and hateful and almost got me into a psychosis.
Now that I've grown more experienced and confident, it seems I've found a balance that suits me well.

I usually have a very passive stance towards politics and activism. I leave that up to those who think they know what they are doing.

Yes. I mean, I can still squash a bug without losing a night's sleep over it(if it's a mosquito it may even help me sleep better!), but I usually think twice before I do that.
There was a time where I was so bitter that I tortured them for fun.
I also used to be a self cutter and used have a lot of sadistic, homicidal and suicidal fantasies. Sometimes I still feel these emotions when I'm having a bad day, but they're more like echoes rather than the real thing and they seem to gradually fade as long as I don't "feed" on them.
I also learned not to pity myself so easily. Self-pity can give me easy excuses to be cruel and selfish.

My God is the highest authority there is, even Satan can't do anything without His permission.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
What worldview/religious title do you hold? Please be as specific as you can. If you're part of a religious movement, what denomination/tradition are you? If no title fits you well, give a brief description of your outlook.
Theistic Satanist and pagan witch. I worship 4 pagan deites: Loki,Sigyn, Angrboda, and Hel. I also work with Lucifer.

I don't know. I think it depends on what tradition a person follows where they go.
What, if any, spiritual practices do you participate in? (This can include meditation, attending services, prayer, dietary observances, etc)
Meditation, offerings, prayer, blessing items, the occasional spell, plan on starting to write down dreams, card readings, visiting my altar, going outside, shadow work...etc
What are your feelings on modern science? How about the supernatural/paranormal
Science is good. Nothing is supernatural tho we are all part of nature.
What, if anything, do you feel is taboo?
almost nothing is forbidden in my practice unless it goes against my own morals

How do you view others outside of your worldview? How about those within?
Outside or in its based on their character how I view them.
Does your religion/lack of have any bearing on your political outlook or choices? Why or why not?
I don't know.
Does your religion/lack of influence the way you interact with the Earth and the environment?
I am an animist. Nature is sacre to me everything has a spirit thus to be respected.

9. Lastly, what are your thoughts on God/ess/s
I worship many.

Last edited:

Gargovic Malkav

Earlier, in another thread, @SigurdReginson said:

I thought this might be a good opportunity for all of us to get to know each other... and our beliefs... better.

Its true that I've seen a lot of people just mass broadcasting what entire groups of people believe. But it seems that in most instances, no two people, even if of the same religion/nonreligion see things exactly the same.

Lets see what we all really believe, without trying to project our own opinions on others. :)

So, some questions for any who have the time or interest to reply.

This is a place to listen. Question if you want, get clarification, but no poo flinging please!

What about you, George? :)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Earlier, in another thread, @SigurdReginson said:

I thought this might be a good opportunity for all of us to get to know each other... and our beliefs... better.

Its true that I've seen a lot of people just mass broadcasting what entire groups of people believe. But it seems that in most instances, no two people, even if of the same religion/nonreligion see things exactly the same.

Lets see what we all really believe, without trying to project our own opinions on others. :)

So, some questions for any who have the time or interest to reply.

This is a place to listen. Question if you want, get clarification, but no poo flinging please!

1. Generally speaking, I consider myself to be Hindu. I worship Hindu gods(though I do have one exception from the Greek pantheon), follow Hindu practices, and hold an overall Hindu worldview(though that is hard to pin down exactly, as Hinduism is so vast). I do not belong to any specific tradition.

2. I believe in cycles of reincarnation until one is able to align themselves with God/Brahman/term it as you like. I am unsure or not whether or not all these cycles take place on Earth. I believe its largely irrelevant if it does or not.

3. I do pujas. I do japa(repetition of a mantra with the aid of a mala). I fast on Ekadashi(and sometimes other points). Before Covid, I tried to get to my temple once a month(would have loved more, but its a 4 hour round trip). My diet aligns with my religion, but truth be told, I went vegetarian when I was 12, long before I knew a thing about Hinduism.

4. I won't elaborate here, as I feel so many have said it better. Science is a tool. The 'supernatural' is part of the natural, its just something we haven't developed the tools to yet study and record.

5. That which intentionally harms another.

6. Others' worldviews isn't usually important to me. I do sometimes bond over shared values, but those aren't necessarily dictated by one's religion/lack of.

7. A bit, but not in the way one would think. Live and let live.

8. It teaches me that everything is sacred and should be treated as such.

9. I believe God is unknowable to the average brain. Not entirely unknowable, but its uncommon(moksha). I do believe God can and does manifest partially at different points, as one sees in the myriad of gods throughout the world. If one wants to relate to God, he/she will present themselves in the form/s best suited to that person. If one has no desire, he/she won't. God is both inward and outward, and there is no where one can go where God isn't. Ultimately, a desire to be with/merge with/know God(words may vary, but you get my meaning) is what I consider my life's purpose.