1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What was your original reason to become a RF member?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Spirit of Light, Feb 13, 2020.

1. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Ratings:
    +10,467
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    I have the opposite experience. The Atheists I met here are not like that. They are very nice people.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. stvdv

Ratings:
    +10,467
    Religion:
    This, I do not understand. All it takes is a little empathy IMO.

3. stvdv

Ratings:
    +10,467
    Religion:
    IMO, the below line is more according to reality.

"Should Atheist respect Spiritual people and not be respected back??"

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +15,495
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    I was invited by a member to answer a bothersome Hindu who was bigger than his boots. I fixed him, and then I stayed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stvdv

Ratings:
    +10,467
    Religion:
    I thought, aha Amanaki got it. Well done.

Alas, here you lost it again, IMO.

6. stvdv

Ratings:
    +10,467
    Religion:
    I agree with you. It was not directed at me, but I found it very aggressive belittling etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. halbhh

halbhh The wonder and awe of "all things".

Ratings:
    +892
    Religion:
    Rescued of Jesus the Christ
    To enjoy friendly discussions, and it's been happening a fair amount, so I find myself coming back.

It's true I have to overlook or not put too much attention on when someone tries to slander a religion, say, my own.

I get it that when that happens it's just an individual breaking the Mission Statement of RF (often breaking rule #9).

But, even more ideally, I just forgive them instantly. This is possible to do, if you have aid.

• Like Like x 1
  8. osgart

osgart Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Ratings:
    +2,749
    Religion:
    Independently religious with no affiliation
    Not every spiritual person is against atheism. I am spiritual but atheist.

Do you think every religion is out to impose it's will on everybody? I can only think of a few that don't.

9. Ancient Soul

Ancient Soul The Spiritual Universe

Ratings:
    +455
    Religion:
    None
    As to the first question, I came here because it's more active than some of the other religious/spiritual forums I've tried. But more specifically because there is a wide variety of beliefs presented here, some of which actually have something of merit spirituality wise. That, and I'm not like most others who cringe upon criticism of their beliefs, I instead like how it makes me think about my own beliefs and am sometimes presented with questions that I had not considered asking God before, so this forum helps me strengthen and expand upon my beliefs. Iron sharpens iron as the expression goes!

I also like to help support others truly seeking spiritual answers outside of the oppressive religions.

Now as to the second question, I firmly believe that atheists come to forums to vent their anger over the injustice of constantly being told by the arrogant religious blowhards that they are automatically immoral just for not believing in any God. Which is understandable in itself, but even though I have never felt that way towards any atheist and even sometimes argue on their behalf, I do find it annoying how they keep on venomously attacking my posts just because I believe in God. Now I would not mind a good debate, but all they ever have is "Give me PHYSICAL proof of your SPIRITUAL god, or you are lying!!!", Which is naturally impossible. But that doesn't seem to matter to them, it just seems a "valid" way of venting and trying to tear down the beliefs of those believing in God. It's so boring, annoying, and changes nobody beliefs in God. Same old, same old... over, and over, and over... yawn....

As to your last sentence, I would recommend just not replying to them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ancient Soul

Ratings:
    +455
    Religion:
    None
    I gave you "winner" for that post.

There was a fight going on in another froum years ago with a Christian and an atheist over who was "persecuting" who. So before I jumped in the help out the atheist, I checked my facts as I always do. I was surprised to find out that in the U.S., a largely Christian country, atheists are more often denied child custody or even visitation rights in divorce court, just because they are deemed automatically "immoral" and not fit parents. And even in many towns or cities they are not allowed to teach in schools, denied the right to vote, or run for public office. Then there's the general social persecution of atheists in their everyday life. Like if their Christian boss or Christian co-workers finds out they are an ewwww... ATHEIST, I would hate working in that oppressive workplace.

That being said, I do object to their attacking ALL "theists" for the doings of just the Christians. For that is no better than lumping ALL the atheists together. One needs to be careful not to fall into the trap of the saying that "You become like that which you hate."

11. MonkeyFire

MonkeyFire Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +567
    Religion:
    Faithful Jesus believer
    Most believers would hate your secularity because if God is true it's nature becomes seriously devilish.

12. sciatica

sciatica Notable Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Religion:
    Christian
    Part of a college assignment :
    "Go undercover online and find out the level of animosity between Christians and Atheists."

13. Ancient Soul

Ratings:
    +455
    Religion:
    None
    I'm done already!!!

For the last 15+ years I've been on forums watching the verbal bloodbath of the Christian vs Atheist crusades.

So where's my diploma?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Guitar's Cry

Guitar's Cry The "I" in Reality

Ratings:
    +7,466
    Religion:
    Panreligious mystical paganism
    I joined in 2006, after my wife joined. She forced me.

Actually, she knows I loves religion and philosophy, so when she discovered it she knew I'd like it.

I've gotten a lot out of it. Discussion and debate is something I value as a tool for shaping my own beliefs and knowledge.

Atheists very often enjoy religion from an academic perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sciatica

sciatica Notable Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Religion:
    Christian
    they ignore it anyway. they think you are too soft

• Like Like x 1
  16. sciatica

sciatica Notable Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Religion:
    Christian
    on a forum which allows a thread title "Does God play with himself?" .......so what if a Christian started a thread "Do atheists play with themselves? " ...you dont have a God so I had to write such.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ancient Soul

Ratings:
    +455
    Religion:
    None
    It's interesting how Christians always LOVE to parade around loudly proclaiming to everyone how holier than thou they think they are, yet they have a complete disconnect in their minds that won't let them see how vile they are to others.

Was this really necessary?

On another poorly moderated Internet forum the Christians started over 15, yes, over 15, forum threads to bash and insult me. No Atheist ever did. And for the record, I NEVER even considered doing likewise to the Christians. Nor would I EVER consider using the above language you just did to anyone. So much for your holier than thouness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein I'm not deaf, I'm just a real bad listener
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +22,491
    Religion:
    Catholic Christian
    To talk to other Satanists.

19. Evangelicalhumanist

Evangelicalhumanist "Truth" isn't a thing...
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,490
    Religion:
    None.
    I posted for years (and thousands and thousands of posts) on a site called "Interfaith Forums," which was eventually shut down. So I found RF.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Evangelicalhumanist

Evangelicalhumanist "Truth" isn't a thing...
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,490
    Religion:
    None.
    Cheapskate! You know beer costs a lot less than hot women.

• Informative Informative x 1