• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the star of Bethlehem?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The Star of Bethlehem, or Christmas Star,[1] appears in the nativity story of the Gospel of Matthew chapter 2 where "wise men from the East" (Magi) are inspired by the star to travel to Jerusalem. There, they meet King Herod of Judea, and ask him:

Adoration of the Magi by Florentine painter Giotto di Bondone (1267–1337). The Star of Bethlehem is shown as a comet above the child. Giotto witnessed an appearance of Halley's Comet in 1301.
Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.[2]

Herod calls together his scribes and priests who, quoting a verse from the Book of Micah, interpret it as a prophecy that the Jewish Messiah would be born in Bethlehem to the south of Jerusalem. Secretly intending to find and kill the Messiah in order to preserve his own kingship, Herod invites the wise men to return to him on their way home.

The star leads them to Jesus' Bethlehem birthplace, where they worship him and give him gifts. The wise men are then given a divine warning not to return to Herod, so they return home by a different route
Star of Bethlehem - Wikipedia

It also led to Herod killing all of the babies of Bethlehem under the age of two. How do people become leaders, who would do something as stupid as kill all the babies under the age of two in a city, because there are rumors that there might be a king who was born there?

The massacre of the babies, (because one of them is rumored to have a destiny to be a King) is just unbelievably ridiculous a move for a King to be making!

The people who become leaders and kings throughout history is just mind-boggling. :confused:

But what was the star of Bethlehem, how long did it take the wise men to reach the child and his Mother? They must have got there with amazing timing, because I don't think Joseph and Mary stayed at the barn very long on Christmas.

It was probably cold on December 25th :p, no running water, no bed or blankets, and a stable doesn't smell good.

But Jesus was born in a barn, died almost blaspheming, crowned with thorns (the crown of a King), nailed to a bit of wood, and was a huge success. Most successful man in the world was born in a barn. :)

Tell me what you know about the star , and why the magi knew to follow it.

In this image it is an 8 pointed star. 8 pointed star is Venus, the morning star. Lucifer and Jesus are both called "Morning star"
star-of-bethlehem.jpg

ronki23

T
The Star of Bethlehem, or Christmas Star,[1] appears in the nativity story of the Gospel of Matthew chapter 2 where "wise men from the East" (Magi) are inspired by the star to travel to Jerusalem. There, they meet King Herod of Judea, and ask him:

Adoration of the Magi by Florentine painter Giotto di Bondone (1267–1337). The Star of Bethlehem is shown as a comet above the child. Giotto witnessed an appearance of Halley's Comet in 1301.
Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.[2]

Herod calls together his scribes and priests who, quoting a verse from the Book of Micah, interpret it as a prophecy that the Jewish Messiah would be born in Bethlehem to the south of Jerusalem. Secretly intending to find and kill the Messiah in order to preserve his own kingship, Herod invites the wise men to return to him on their way home.

The star leads them to Jesus' Bethlehem birthplace, where they worship him and give him gifts. The wise men are then given a divine warning not to return to Herod, so they return home by a different route

It also led to Herod killing all of the babies of Bethlehem under the age of two. How do people become leaders, who would do something as stupid as kill all the babies under the age of two in a city, because there are rumors that there might be a king who was born there?

The massacre of the babies, (because one of them is rumored to have a destiny to be a King) is just unbelievably ridiculous a move for a King to be making!

The people who become leaders and kings throughout history is just mind-boggling. :confused:

But what was the star of Bethlehem, how long did it take the wise men to reach the child and his Mother? They must have got there with amazing timing, because I don't think Joseph and Mary stayed at the barn very long on Christmas.

It was probably cold on December 25th :p, no running water, no bed or blankets, and a stable doesn't smell good.

But Jesus was born in a barn, died almost blaspheming, crowned with thorns (the crown of a King), nailed to a bit of wood, and was a huge success. Most successful man in the world was born in a barn. :)

In this image it is an 8 pointed star. 8 pointed star is Venus, the morning star. Lucifer and Jesus are both called "Morning star"
View attachment 61216

There was no recorded supernova or comet during that time so most likely it was a conjunction between Jupiter and Saturn. The last time there was a conjunction before 2021 was C. 1220 and before that 420 . Its not necessarily every 800 years because it also depends on where Earth is positioned.

78228_edb7b0548ece3637b117ec812ddd24fc.jpg 78227_91c5ae006a8b8cf6b6909c0cbe1ad0b0.jpg 78229_61823c93baa716521497415d5dfb35bf.jpg

ronki23

T

There was no recorded supernova or comet during that time so most likely it was a conjunction between Jupiter and Saturn. The last time there was a conjunction before 2021 was C. 1220 and before that 420 . Its not necessarily every 800 years because it also depends on where Earth is positioned.

View attachment 61217 View attachment 61218 View attachment 61219

The last 4 conjunctions less than 10 arcminutes apart

There was a conjunction calculated in 7 BC so there you go

cataway

View attachment 61216
i see some problems , you should read the bible .stop listing to peoples story's

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

View attachment 61216
Someone's imagination at work.

No star can pinpoint any specific location on earth.

It's completely impossible.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
i see some problems , you should read the bible .stop listing to peoples story's
I know Jesus probably wasn't born on Christmas. That's why I put this :p smiley.

Also, I have read the whole Bible. I probably know it better than you, because no where in the bible does it say the Bible is a final authority on anything, or the sole rule for faith and theology.

That was a man made invention you follow, that Christians didn't believe in before the 16th century.

That unbiblical doctrine you follow, divided Christianity more than anything. Just what I would want if I was the Devil, to divide and conquer. ;)

cataway

View attachment 61216
the "wise men from the East" (Magi) how old was Jesus when they came to see him ?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
the "wise men from the East" (Magi) how old was Jesus when they came to see him ?
Matthew indicates he was two.

Nativity scenes suggest otherwise
maxpixel-freegreatpicture-com-father-christmas-nativity-scene-christmas-crib-1915352.jpg

I used a :p to indicate I was not being serious, I was joking about Christmas and the wisemen present.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
the only ones that came to see him the night he was born were the shepherds ,you really should of known that
I told you. I used a smiley to show it was a joke.

Honestly I don't know the facts about the story.

You don't know how old he was when the magi arrived. The Gospel of Matthew was written by a man who was not present when Christ was born , or when the magi arrived.

Nobody actually knows precisely what happened or when, because none of the Gospels were written by people present.

I lean towards believing they are true, but something isn't factual , just because it is in a book that claims Divine inspiration.

Does every Gospel state that each Gospel is without error?

cataway

I
You don't know how old he was when the magi arrived. The Gospel of Matthew was written by a man who was not present when Christ was born , or when the magi arrived.
you have already said "Matthew indicates he was two." or was that a google thing ?

The Crimson Universe

It was indeed an unidentified flying objects. I think Christians wouldn't argue that.

I'm not certain about it being an UFO, as i wasn't present at that time, but from the descriptions of this star like thing, it seems to me that it probably was a luminous alien spaceship.

It was almost 12 years ago, i read about it in a website, that this thing was actually moving in the night sky, and the magis followed it and finally found Jesus.

I'm no expert at astronomy, but i know (from my observations as a star gazer), that stars do move in the night sky but at a very slow speed. You wouldn't even notice their movement. The only way you know that they have moved is by checking at the same spot in the night sky after 30 minutes or so.

But from what i've read, the star like thing the magis saw, was actually moving at a slow/moderate speed (faster than a real star), guiding the magis to Jesus's location. Its movement was clearly visible unlike the movement of a real star that is never visible.

In other words, one cannot follow a real star because to our eyes it always seems stationery (even though its moving).
:=)

lostwanderingsoul

Stars do not "go before" someone to guide them. Stars do not "stand over" a house to guide someone. The "star" that guided the wise men was not a true star but something special sent by God to lead the way to Jesus. Probably an angel.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I'm with @Twilight Hue on this one, it was most probably a figment of a hagiographer's imagination.

It is unlikely to have been either a real star or a shooting star for the reasons mentioned by @lostwanderingsoul , although in saying it was an angel he is creating his own gospel.

In my opinion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Stars do not "go before" someone to guide them. Stars do not "stand over" a house to guide someone. The "star" that guided the wise men was not a true star but something special sent by God to lead the way to Jesus. Probably an angel.
That would prove the Bibles error prone falibility and proves its completely man inspired.

If it was an angel or guide and not a star, it would be in the narrative as such as other passages specified angels and the like.

cataway

we could go with what we know .there was a light up high that gave some kind of guidance. though not to the place of his birth ,but to the place where they were then living two years latter.

syo

The star is a part of a constellation, I don't remember the name of the constellation.