• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the real maeaning of the parable of the mustard seed?

ericoh2

Matthew 17:20 (New King James Version)

20 So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief;[a] for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.

This parable is generally taken to be referring primarily to the size of a mustard seed. I am not going to say that the size had nothing to do with the choice of a mustard seed but I am going to question whether or not that was the main reason he spoke this parable. I think that the real message behind this saying lies in the fact that the mustard seed accepts everything totally without any question. He could have easily used a boulder or a tree but the fact that a mustard seed seems so insignificant gives it more power. If you throw a mustard seed it does not complain that it is falling, it doesn't ask to be watered nor does it cry that it is not planted. We see in another verse, Jesus makes a statement which I feel is very similar in its message.
Matthew 6:26 (New King James Version)

26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?

This is a verse that directly speaks of total acceptance of Gods will. What happens when one accepts God's will totally? The answer is that all attachments, hope and desire must completely disappear. You must know that all that happens is a blessing of equal proportion therefore any prayer that one has should be directed at being able to accept everything that God's will may have in store. Who are we to ask for something to change just because we think it is right or wrong? That requires the assumption that we even know what is good, bad, right or wrong. We must put our entire faith into existence. Thank you for the replies in advance and please enjoy this beautiful day.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Its always been about faith......If you can do a big thing with just a small amount of faith, how much more could you do if you learned to increase your faith. Endless possibilities. Amen ;)