• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the most influential Empire?

Which of these was the most influential Empire?

• Roman Empire

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Mongol Empire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • British Empire

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Macedonian Empire

• Ottoman Empire

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Russian Empire

• Egyptian Empire

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Achaemenid Empire

• Qing Dynasty

• Byzantine Empire

• Total voters

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But Rome's influence was localized. It had little impact in New Zealand, China, the Americas, &c. Britain's influence was more widespread, but the American Empire has had the most widespread influence, I think.
I don't think most of these were unique to Egypt. Didn't most of these develop independently in multiple regions? I don't know that any of the later versions can be traced in succession back to an Egyptian prototype.

Yet most countries have plumbing, sanitation, use cutlery, have paved road's, many speak Latin based languages, use cement etc. Modern concepts of property ownership, marriage and contract are roman influenced. 1/3 of the worlds population can attribute the strength and size of their church only because Christianity was adopted as the main religion. And most important of all, many of the world's best wine producing regions were established by Rome.

As for Egypt, those things i listed were first developed in Egypt with the possible exception of what i stated was contested. They may have developed independently in other countries at a later date. The internet is a great resource of academic knowledge regarding the invention's and technology of ancient ancient Egypt (and others). I recommend google scholar.

Please could you advise on the influences America has provided.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
How is this a question? Rome was the guiding light of European civilization. Their influence does not stop with the fall of the Roman Empire proper, because its tendrils can be clearly seen well into the 20th century, when Europe quite frankly was the meaningful portion of the world. The influence of Rome can be seen in the Empires of the French, British, German, Russian, even the Ottomans. Remember, the Ottomans proclaimed themselves the "Sultanate of Rum". The Sultans of Rome. The only other Empire with that kind of lasting influence and power would be the Mongols.

After all, how many Empires but the ones of the Mongols and Romans can be said to have truly destroyed civilizations? Rome crushed Carthage into dust, the Mongols single-highhandedly ended the Arabian Golden Age after sacking Baghdad.