• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was Paul's inner struggle?

ThisShouldMakeSense

I'd like to know what you think Paul's inner struggle was. In Romans 7:21-24 he describes the war he has against his sinful flesh and his members. What do you think his stuggle was? I've heard a few theories but would like to know yours. Thanks.

Francine

I'd like to know what you think Paul's inner struggle was. In Romans 7:21-24 he describes the war he has against his sinful flesh and his members. What do you think his stuggle was? I've heard a few theories but would like to know yours. Thanks.

Paul wasn't like the other boys.

"...it is well for a man not to touch a woman" (1 Cor. 7:1).

A

angellous_evangellous

He is talking in terms of a wise-person who struggles with his inadequacies. This was a literary devise of sorts in ancient times - John T. Fitzgerald has collected various philosophers admitting their human weaknesses and trying to overcome them in his book Cracks in Earthen Vessels.

Eileen

I think Shaul's inner struggle was the same as we all have. In Judaism it is described as a conflict between the Yetzer hara (bad inclination) and Yetzer hatov ) good inclination. I do not know what particular battle between those two he was referring to, I don't think he said specifically. We all have battles between those two in some way or another. It is kinda of a battle between what feels good and right and what is good and right.

Yes

Oh how I love the Word of God!
Paul did not struggle with sin after Jesus saved him the way he did before Jesus saved him.

Paul in no way remained doing the sins that earned him the self-given title of Worst of Sinners. He said that about himself because BEFORE Jesus saved him, he was a violent man; he gave approval of Stephens’s death, guarded over the clothes that belonged to the men who killed Stephen. Saul put many of the saints in prison, and when they were put to death, he cast his vote against them. Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off men and women and put them in prison. Acts 22:20, Acts 26:10, Acts 8:3.

That is why Paul said he was the worst of sinners. Not because he kept sinning after he was saved! Pastors in many if not all denominations teach that falseness, that Paul, after Jesus saved him, struggled with sin so much and was the worst of sinners.

So many Christians say that in Romans 7, Paul was speaking of his life after Jesus saved him, that he could not stop sinning, that he could not do good, that he was a wretched man. I can hardly believe that people actually believe Apostle Paul was speaking of himself as a sinner AFTER Jesus saved him. That is utterly absurd.

Paul is explaining in a much-exaggerated way what it is like for one under the law and without faith. Paul is not speaking of the way he is after Jesus saved him.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
He was probably having problems with his sinful flesh, or what we would call his "member" not his members, that and a guilty conscience for slaughtering so many christians......

Yes

He was probably having problems with his sinful flesh, or what we would call his "member" not his members, that and a guilty conscience for slaughtering so many christians......
No, because when we are forgiven for sins, we do not keep feeling guilty for them.

This is what the Bible says. If you want scripture references, just ask:

He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds, we have been healed. Through the sacrifice of Jesus, he gives to all those that come to him freedom from the guilt, power, and punishment of sin.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Paul was saved by Jesus.

For me that's debatable, he claimed to be saved by Jesus, would Christianity be better off without his writings in the Bible, I think so....

Yes

For me that's debatable, he claimed to be saved by Jesus, would Christianity be better off without his writings in the Bible, I think so....

No, we would not be better off without Paul's writings People misunderstand Paul. The Jews, for hundreds of years used to have to do many ceremonial things, just to worship God. Paul, an ex Pharisee, speaks the truth to us about we are not saved anymore by works. The works Paul was speaking about are the ceremonial works. Many misunderstand Paul. They think Paul is saying we are saved by faith alone and not obeying. However, faith alone is only mentioned once in the Bible, and it is to tell us what kind of faith not to have. Faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone. See James 2:14, 17, and 22.

Peter says people misunderstand Paul. Right after Peter says that, Peter warns us to obey. See 2 Peter 3:16, and 17.