• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was last movie you watched?

Rough Beast Sloucher

It's My Birthday!
As good as Tim Curry was in that, the 2017 movie has rendered the 1990 miniseries completely obsolete. (Not that the miniseries was ever good).

IMO an important element of the novel was the interleaving of past and present, gradually revealing what happened then in the context of what is happening now, and with it how the children/adults are both the same and different The 1990 miniseries and now the 2017 movie (part 1 with part 2 in the future) separate the two.

Concerning the ending ...how do you do that on the screen?

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
IMO an important element of the novel was the interleaving of past and present, gradually revealing what happened then in the context of what is happening now, and with it how the children/adults are both the same and different The 1990 miniseries and now the 2017 movie (part 1 with part 2 in the future) separate the two.

Concerning the ending ...how do you do that on the screen?
Having read the book, I am aware that the miniseries is closer to the source material than the movie. Nevertheless I feel that the movie is a better overall experience. Granted, it isn't entirely fair to compare the two given that the miniseries was much more limited in what it could do, being both much older and intended for television.

As for the ending, I have no idea what they're going to do with it. Considering that the movie is much looser with the source material I don't think they'll necessarily go down the route of having the losers' club battle a giant spider.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Just saw 2 Fun Movies

Jumanji by far an average movie with a great compliment of actors. If you like the Rock, Kevin Hart you'll like the movie. If you like Jack Black you'll love the movie and Karen Gillan was a good edition. Its a fun movie with a happy vibe. Its not Oscar winner.

The Greatest Showman, so many people told me how good it was, so I finally gave in. I was pleasantly surprised. A weak but happy story. As much as I liked Jumanji, it was the better movie. I never knew Hugh Jackman started as a singer dancer. The music's upbeat and the dancing is well done. It is a made up life of PT Barnum so if you are wishing for an accurate history you won't like it.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Saw Black Panther Marvels new Superhero movie. Had High expectations and it exceeded them. The story is well written, the super hero, fantasy and science fiction are the supporting characters of the movie. I recommend it if you Like Adventure, Political espionage, Family relations, Scify and Fantasy. If you want a strict Super Hero movie this may be a let down. What Marvel hasn't done yet is produced a compelling love story and if that's what you want, they still haven't.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Finally watched "The Shape of Water" liked it quite a bit, quite a bit different than what has been offered the last few years which is probably why I enjoyed it.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Went back to the movie theater to watch Ready Player One again. I hope Spielberg makes Ernest Cline's next book, Armada, into a movie too. Also, Cline's making a Ready Player One 2. I would kill a man to get my hands on that book early.

Deidre

God's Not Dead - wasn't going to watch this film, but decided to give it a try. I don't normally like Christian based films, as they're usually kind of sappy, or super bad acting. But, this was really good, actually. Still some bad acting, but it's based on a true story and it presented some interesting arguments. I remember thinking certain ways as an atheist, and it's very thought provoking. If you can be open minded no matter your beliefs, it's a decent film.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Not a movie, but just finished the entire Black Adder series with Rowan Atkinson. So funny.

Watching this clip, it is hard to believe the other two actors are Dr. Gregory House and Rubeus Hagrid.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Saw Avengers Infinity war and it was perfect for what it is. It is not a great movie but a great event combining several different movie franchises into a compelling comprehensible story. You have the magical Norse Mythology, The 70's musical comedy, The political thriller and The Bad guy. Along the way you develop the relationships of some of the major character's while focusing the story on the Bad Guy. A person coming into this movie without seeing some of the previous 18 movies is probably not going to enjoy it but for those that followed the series of movies, you'd be hard pressed to get anything better. For what it is a Conclusion to a series of 18 different movies in at least 3 distinct genres I don't think you could have better.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Infinity War. Josh Brolin stole the show. It was too long and dragged in places, though.
It could have been longer. It was supposed to have two parts, but Marvel decided to make Avengers 4 not be a continuation of the Infinity War plot. And yes, Josh Brolin was amazing.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I saw The Avengers yesterday, in 3D.
It was not my idea.
I fell asleep.

But I did get Doug to agree to see Come Sunday in the negotiations.
Tom

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I went to the art house theater today to see Revenge. A great rape and revenge exploitation horror flick. The best I've seen in years. This was well-shot, great at building tension and I loved how it flipped the script in its treament of the male lead in some interesting ways. One reviewer I saw said the metamorphosis of the female lead is from Lolita to Furiosa and I would have to agree. Very cool! A few people even walked out! Sissies! A new grindhouse classic for sure!

'Revenge' Might Be The Bloodiest - And Most Important - Film Released This Year