• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was Jewish about Jesus?

sooda

Veteran Member
A type is a type

Melchizadek is a type of the Messiah.

You have mixed pictures of the Messiah in Psalms 22 23 24 with the cross, the crook and the crown

Who would have known that the worse curse of the death of the 1st born plague would come upon the Messiah to save the world? yet that was part of the gospel of God.

What first born plague? Are you talking about Exodus? What did the Messiah have to do with that?

Zedek was a Canaanite deity worshiped in pre-Israelite Jerusalem. Melchizadek means My God is Zedak.

whirlingmerc

What first born plague? Are you talking about Exodus? What did the Messiah have to do with that?

Zedek was a Canaanite deity worshiped in pre-Israelite Jerusalem. Melchizadek means My God is Zedak.

the Messiah saving the world involved the death of a first born (on the cross).

As far as Melchizedek, I find it fascinating that the prelude to the passover Psalms has a poor man persecuted by a Judas figure but God being at the right hand of the poor (Ps 109) man in that 'scene' then 'scene change' and a man is called to God's right hand made priest forever on the order of Melchizekek (in Ps 110)

interestingly enough...

And God placed the Judas epic and the man made like Melchizedek immediately before the passover psalms to kick them off. There you have it !

sooda

Veteran Member
the Messiah saving the world involved the death of a first born (on the cross).

As far as Melchizedek, I find it fascinating that the prelude to the passover Psalms has a poor man persecuted by a Judas figure but God being at the right hand of the poor (Ps 109) man in that 'scene' then 'scene change' and a man is called to God's right hand made priest forever on the order of Melchizekek (in Ps 110)

interestingly enough...

And God placed the Judas epic and the man made like Melchizedek immediately before the passover psalms to kick them off. There you have it !

The Canaanite deity?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
and when questioned.....He did say
Love God
as the first and most important law

and then ….Do into others as you would have them do unto you
as the next item of importance

but....that second item was not of Moses?
was it not?...heathen law

and the Pharisees sought to have Him dead from that hour onward

for having not quoted Moses......first
Actually the second law was also a quote from the Torah: love your neighbor as yourself.

And in this respect, loving God and neighbor, EVERY Rabbi teaches this as the heart of the Torah, so Jesus was giving the standard answer.

As for "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," this was a positive wording of a very famous saying of Rabbi Hillel, the Rabbi whose teachings Jesus most often voiced. The story goes something like this. There are two Rabbis: Rabbi Shammai, who is very strict, and Rabbi Hillel, who tries to make the law more down to earth for people. A man who wants to convert but doesn't want to take a lot of time at it, goes to see Rabbi Shammai and says, "Teach me Torah while I stand on one foot." Rabbi Shammai chases him away. So he goes to Rabbi Hillel and says the same thing. Rabbi Hillel says to him, "Whatever is hateful to you, don't do to others. That's the whole Torah. You are now a Jew. Go and study."

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Actually the second law was also a quote from the Torah: love your neighbor as yourself.

And in this respect, loving God and neighbor, EVERY Rabbi teaches this as the heart of the Torah, so Jesus was giving the standard answer.

As for "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," this was a positive wording of a very famous saying of Rabbi Hillel, the Rabbi whose teachings Jesus most often voiced. The story goes something like this. There are two Rabbis: Rabbi Shammai, who is very strict, and Rabbi Hillel, who tries to make the law more down to earth for people. A man who wants to convert but doesn't want to take a lot of time at it, goes to see Rabbi Shammai and says, "Teach me Torah while I stand on one foot." Rabbi Shammai chases him away. So he goes to Rabbi Hillel and says the same thing. Rabbi Hillel says to him, "Whatever is hateful to you, don't do to others. That's the whole Torah. You are now a Jew. Go and study."
and so you credit.....to Moses?

IndigoChild5559

Joseph was a type pointing to the Messiah, experience a type of death and resurrection and then saving first mainly gentiles then his Jewish brethren. Like Jesus.

Job was a type of the suffering servant of God who in the deepest time of his suffering made intersession for sinners and then God raised him up. Like Jesus.
Yawn. Another example of Christians seeing Jesus in the Tanakh when he's not there. What next? Seeing him in the crispy patterns on toast and auctioning him on ebay? Oh, right. That's been done.

IndigoChild5559

and so you credit.....to Moses?
Well, Moses and really our biology. The Golden rule is accessable to everyone who thinks deeply on morality. That's why you'll find it in all the major religions. We're simply hardwired with it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well, Moses and really our biology. The Golden rule is accessable to everyone who thinks deeply on morality. That's why you'll find it in all the major religions. We're simply hardwired with it.
not if you evolved from apes

and you think humans don't behave as apes?

IndigoChild5559

not if you evolved from apes

and you think humans don't behave as apes?
Yes, we certainly could have evolved our sense of morality. Chimps, for example, have a sense of justice (although they only apply it to themselves, and not to others, LOL) and empathy, both the foundations of morality. Who knows, in another 100,000 years, they may be as morally sentient as us.

I think human beings CAN act like lower primates, or we CAN act like angels. Those are choices that come with having a higher level of moral sentience.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Jesus didn't act like a Jew , he didn't know many Jewish customs from what I understand.

He was called a rabbi, but comes across overwhelmingly under-qualified to even be one.

One could argue Jewish by birth on the matriarch side, but that's about it.

The question is , what makes Jesus Jewish least of all to be called King of the Jews?
What is "Jew" that Jesus wasn't?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus didn't act like a Jew , he didn't know many Jewish customs from what I understand.

He was called a rabbi, but comes across overwhelmingly under-qualified to even be one.

One could argue Jewish by birth on the matriarch side, but that's about it.

The question is , what makes Jesus Jewish least of all to be called King of the Jews?

That seems to fly in the face of my understanding.
Is there a source or sources for your suggestions here? Genuinely curious.

whirlingmerc

Only if you fiddle with the scripture. Wasn't Jesus enough in his own right?

Sure... Jesus is more than enough in His own right. The world was made by Him, through Him, and is to Him and FOR HIM.

The people walking in darkness will see a great light Is 9:2 and there will be rejoicing as in days of a great victory Is 9:3-4 and even will be time to burn the boots of every warrior Is 9:5 and the epicenter of the rejoicing? "Unto us a child is born, a son is given." Is 9:6,7

whirlingmerc

What is "Jew" that Jesus wasn't?

He was descended from Judah.

In another sense in Psalm 73:1 "God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart."
In the parallelism there more than physical despondency, a Jew poetically is 'pure in heart' Jesus does seem pure in heart to me.

The name Jew comes from praise, as in Genesis the mother said "I will praise the Lord" as she gave birth to Judah. And Jesus did give praise to the Father, Luke 10:21 "At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do."

But Jospeh was hidden as it were from his brothers for a time, although he was 'the savior of the world' in his day. Like Jesus.

sooda

Veteran Member
Sure... Jesus is more than enough in His own right. The world was made by Him, through Him, and is to Him and FOR HIM.

The people walking in darkness will see a great light Is 9:2 and there will be rejoicing as in days of a great victory Is 9:3-4 and even will be time to burn the boots of every warrior Is 9:5 and the epicenter of the rejoicing? "Unto us a child is born, a son is given." Is 9:6,7

That's what I thought.. Jesus was enough.. No need to embellish or change OT scripture to "prove"
Jesus.

whirlingmerc

The Canaanite deity?

The Psalms speak of the Messiah in Psalm 110 as being raised to the right hand of God on the order of Melchizedek.

Genesis doesn't describe him as a pagan cananite rather a priest of the most high God and Chabad seems to agree when I looked.
"Melchizedek the king of Salem brought out bread and wine, and he was a priest to the Most High God. And [Melchizedek] blessed him, and he said, "Blessed be Abram to the Most High God—Who possesses heaven and earth—and blessed be the Most High God, Who has delivered your adversaries into your hand."

whirlingmerc

That's what I thought.. Jesus was enough.. No need to embellish or change OT scripture to "prove"
Jesus.

Jesus being the one on the throne in Isaiah 6 shutting the mouth of the prophet? who sprinkles nations in Is 42 shutting the mouth of kings ? and who dwells with the humble and repented in Is 57 opening the mouths of the pure?

Sticking to what Jesus claimed? Jesus claimed the role Messiah in his trial. Son of God, Son of Man and coming again in the clouds. Abraham, David, Isaiah, Moses all rejoicing to foresee Jesus. More than the temple? More than a prophet? yes Jesus claims sound large.

sooda

Veteran Member
He was descended from Judah.

In another sense in Psalm 73:1 "God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart."
In the parallelism there more than physical despondency, a Jew poetically is 'pure in heart' Jesus does seem pure in heart to me.

The name Jew comes from praise, as in Genesis the mother said "I will praise the Lord" as she gave birth to Judah. And Jesus did give praise to the Father, Luke 10:21 "At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do."

But Jospeh was hidden as it were from his brothers for a time, although he was 'the savior of the world' in his day. Like Jesus.

This becomes VERY problematic considering that there was NO Exodus.. There wasn't even any place called Goshen for another 1500 years.