• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Was Hitler's Religion?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
TwinTowers said:
You misread the sentence. The 'she' in that sentence obviously referred to Oriana Fallaci, not Rushdie.
In which case your comment still makes little sense as Rushdie continues to write books.

If the post is untrue, please prove it.
I actually only said it was off topic. It is, so I have nothing to prove. Comparing a religious text to a political tract by such a hateful man as Hitler is, however, clearly inflammatory (which I might remind you breaches the rules of the forum) and is likely to cause offense to Muslims. Whilst you may have an opinion contrary to Islam (as do I), there is no excuse for attacking the faith in such a way here - a little human decency wouldn't go amiss. This is particularly the case when your Muslim baiting isn't even on topic for this thread.

Have you read Mein Kampf?
Unfortunately, yes. It was many years ago, though.

Have you read the Q'uran?
Again, yes, in English translation.

Did you even read the post?
Evidently, or I couldn't have called you on your attempt to bait the Muslims here, could I?

None of it was pulled from thin air. As a Muslim apologist perhaps you can explain how Muslim beliefs as stated within Muslim texts would constitute an insult.
I'm not a Muslim apologist. I, in fact, dislike the religion greatly. I am an Orthodox Christian and hence have no desire to produce any kind of an apology for Islam. I am, however, opposed to your deliberate attack on the Muslims here just as I would be if you were to attack some other group.

The suppression of truth out of fear, is but the first step towards the denial of individual freedom.
I suppressed nothing and I have no idea what you think it is I fear. All I was asking is that you use some human decency when interacting with others here, even if you do not agree with their faith or point of view.

Oh, and you can always move your rebuttal to a new thread rather than hijacking this one.
That's rich. You're the one that hijacked the thread with your anti-Islamic diatribe.

James

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
kreeden said:
But isn't it true the many " Christians " have been heavily into the occult ?

Now I'm not saying that Hilter was a " good " Christian . In fact , I believe that he would have placed power over anything else . But again , there have been other " Christians " that the same could be said about .

First and formost , he was human .

There is a difference between being msiguidedly into the occult and actively promoting a pagan religion over Christianity. You are correct that many 'Christians' have probably done the former, despite it being in opposition to their supposed faith, but the latter, which is what Hitler did, is enough to invalidate any claim to Christianity on the part of the adherent.

James

A

angellous_evangellous

kateyes said:
“I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so.”
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, Arial]( Adolf Hitler, from John Toland [Pulitzer Prize winner], Adolf Hitler, New York: Anchor Publishing, 1992, p. 507. )[/FONT]

“Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, Arial]( Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Ralph Mannheim, ed., New York: Mariner Books, 1999, p. 65. )[/FONT]

“I may not be a light of the church, a pulpiteer, but deep down I am a pious man, and believe that whoever fights bravely in defense of the natural laws framed by God and never capitulates will never be deserted by the Lawgiver, but will, in the end, receive the blessings of Providence.”
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, Arial]( Adolf Hitler, in a speech delivered on July 5, 1944; from Charles Bracelen Flood, Hitler: The Path to Power, Boston, Mass: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1989, p. 208. )[/FONT]

These and many more quotes can be found at

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/quotes_hitler.html

While you can certainly condemn his acts as non-Christian--there is not much doubt that Hitler considered himself a Christian and viewed his persecution of the Jews, homosexuals, gypsies, etc as a Christian act.

I think that he was using religion as most government leaders do: to futher their own agenda. IMO, the myths of any religion were useless to Hitler - his religion was himself.

Booko

Deviled Hen
almifkhar said:
and this symbol is indeed occult, and he and those with him who decided to put it on the flag would have had to be into this kind of knowledge.

Actually, the swastika is not an occult symbol. Or at least, it's not *just* an occult symbol.

The swastika was used by both Hindus and Parsees (Zoroastrians).

fwiw, on the Baha'i House of Worship in Wilmette, the columns have symbols from all the major religions. Zoroastrianism is represented by the swastika, though it's reversed. The building was designed before the Nazis. Hah, I wonder if we would've used a flame instead if we'd know how Hitlerl would trash that symbol.

The swastika is a modified form of the "quadrata circuli" which is an archetypal symbol common in many cultures.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
JamesThePersian said:
There is a difference between being msiguidedly into the occult and actively promoting a pagan religion over Christianity. You are correct that many 'Christians' have probably done the former, despite it being in opposition to their supposed faith, but the latter, which is what Hitler did, is enough to invalidate any claim to Christianity on the part of the adherent.

James

Good point . Logically there would have to be line , that once crossed ....

It wasn't my intent to define or attack Christianity . Just throwing a few ideas out there . :) But it does leave me wondering what defines Christianity , and who has the right to do so ? { I'm sure that topic has been addressed in other threads , just thinking out loud . :) }

Booko said:
Actually, the swastika is not an occult symbol. Or at least, it's not *just* an occult symbol.

The swastika was used by both Hindus and Parsees (Zoroastrians).

fwiw, on the Baha'i House of Worship in Wilmette, the columns have symbols from all the major religions. Zoroastrianism is represented by the swastika, though it's reversed. The building was designed before the Nazis. Hah, I wonder if we would've used a flame instead if we'd know how Hitlerl would trash that symbol.

The swastika is a modified form of the "quadrata circuli" which is an archetypal symbol common in many cultures.

I'm sure that the fylfot cross is a solar symbol also, representative of the turning year, the seasons, and thus the 'elements' revolving around the sun.

Booko

Deviled Hen
TwinTowers said:
If the post is untrue, please prove it. Have you read Mein Kampf? Have you read the Q'uran? Did you even read the post? None of it was pulled from thin air. As a Muslim apologist perhaps you can explain how Muslim beliefs as stated within Muslim texts would constitute an insult.

Oh, and you can always move your rebuttal to a new thread rather than hijacking this one.
I have begun a new thread to take up this subject.

You can find it here.

Ninerays

Hey,folks...
Wasn't Hitler a follower of a fascist form of reconstructionist Germanic religion,with Darwinian and Nietzschean ideas mixed in?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
angellous_evangellous said:
I think that he was using religion as most government leaders do: to futher their own agenda. IMO, the myths of any religion were useless to Hitler - his religion was himself.
I agree with the first part, but strongly disagree with the last sentence.

Hitler had enormous use for myths. He got the German people to go along with him precisely because he (with the help of Goebbels) had a transcendent understanding of the German cultural identity of his time and used mythology to manipulate people by taking deeply rooted symbols, prejudices and attitudes, and redirecting their meanings and focusing their intensity for his own purposes. That included religious myths of German Christianity (Protestant and Catholic) of the times, and of which Anti-Semitism was a part and parcel.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sunstone said:
What was Hitler's religion? I'm very confused about this. I've heard so many different ideas about what his religion was. Can you help me with this?
All I know for sure is what he wasn't -- a Mormon! Whew! What a relief. :cool:

Simon Gnosis

doppelgänger said:
I agree with the first part, but strongly disagree with the last sentence.

Hitler had enormous use for myths. He got the German people to go along with him precisely because he (with the help of Goebbels) had a transcendent understanding of the German cultural identity of his time and used mythology to manipulate people by taking deeply rooted symbols, prejudices and attitudes, and redirecting their meanings and focusing their intensity for his own purposes. That included religious myths of German Christianity (Protestant and Catholic) of the times, and of which Anti-Semitism was a part and parcel.

Probably some perverted version of christianity mixed with occultism and masonic like ritualism.
The old psychopath was quite open minded on theses matters it seems...

Peace4all

Katzpur said:
All I know for sure is what he wasn't -- a Mormon! Whew! What a relief. :cool:

Lol :biglaugh: i find that extremely funny!

In general i really think Hitler rather worshiped himself and his obsession of ruling the world.

Smoke

Done here.
Victor said:
End point. He was a pagan who was born into a Catholic family.
Here we go again. The article provides no evidence whatsoever that Hitler was a pagan. It doesn't say that he believed in or worshiped pagan gods, participated in pagan rituals, or anything of the sort. "Pagan" is not a synonym for "lapsed Catholic," "unbeliever," or "anti-Christian."