• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was happening in the thread, that might be why it was moved to debate?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
(edited to add the following)
This is not to complain about threads being moved.
(end edit)

I’m trying to understand better what people can do in debate forums, that they can’t do outside of them. Have you ever seen a thread where you were posting moved to a debate forum? If so, can you remember what was happening, that could be the reason why it was moved? I’m thinking that maybe it’s when the discussion starts to get heated.

I’m not asking for definitions. I’m not asking what the staff says about the difference between debate forums and other forums. I’m asking about people’s actual experiences, when they’ve seen threads moved to the debate forums. Also, if you have received warnings for debating outside of the debate forums, what were you doing that might be the reason for that? If you describe what was happening as “debating,” you won’t be helping. :smiley:

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I think it gets moved if the author of the thread starts debating with the other contributors.

Terry Sampson

I’m not asking what the staff says about the difference between debate forums and other forums. Im asking about people’s actual experiences.
  • I've seen a thread moved by staff to another forum at the OP author's request.
  • I've seen a thread moved by staff to another forum because the OP author admitted being uncertain whether or not they were posting their thread in an appropriate forum and, after the staff took a look at the OP or at the OP and some posts, the staff decided that another forum was the more appropriate forum.
  • I've seen a thread closed by staff because the OP author was looking for a fight in a "discussion only" forum.
  • Bottom line: Staff moves threads, not OP authors. So, it seems entirely appropriate to develop an understanding of what will inspire Staff to move a thread or to shut it down, regardless what non-Staff RF members think.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I’m trying to understand better what people can do in debate forums, that they can’t do outside of them. Have you ever seen a thread where you were posting moved to a debate forum? If so, can you remember what was happening, that could be the reason why it was moved? I’m thinking that maybe it’s when the discussion starts to get heated.

I’m not asking what the staff says about the difference between debate forums and other forums. I’m asking about people’s actual experiences. If you describe what was happening as “debating,” you won’t be helping. :smiley:

I never really questioned it too much. The only time it brought my intention is when rarely when there is conversations in a DIR that's controversial but stayed in the DIR thread (in other words, the people involved know the jargon to have a debate/discussion) was moved to general debates or so have you. A lot of times in those cases, the debate is disbanded because no one knows the jargon in which the people converse. The only time I see a move a problem is when the debate is focused on one set religion that its hard for other people to take part. Outside of that, it seems appropriate for a move. I don't remember much cause I took a year break. If I had an experience, it's probably because my post(s) caused someone to react in a manner the OP wasn't intended to express.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I added a note to the OP to clarify what I’m asking.
Debate:
Evidence based cogent argument to prove your
claim is right, & that the other person's claim is wrong.

Discussion:
Empty claim that you're right, & the other person is a poopy head.
(Note the absence of making the other person wrong.)

Terry Sampson

(Note the absence of making the other person wrong.)
Ya know, it just occurred to me. RF has DIR forums that don't allow debate and Debate forums that are weird if nobody's cruisin' for a bruisin. Why don't we have
  • "Dead End" forums:
    • those threads that start with irreconcilable differences and end with the same irreconcilable differences,
      • in which no one ever had any intention, desire, or hope of changing anybody else's mind,
      • that don't offer new information,
      • that recycle the same irreconcilables previously posted, and
      • that aren't even minimally entertaining, amusing, or clever to at least a quorum of, say, ten semi-rational, semi-reasonable RF members?
    • OR the non-intelligible and/or minimally intelligible threads of certain RF members whose identities shall remain anonymous in this message?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ya know, it just occurred to me. RF has DIR forums that don't allow debate and Debate forums that are weird if nobody's cruisin' for a bruisin. Why don't we have
  • "Dead End" forums:
    • those threads that start with irreconcilable differences and end with the same irreconcilable differences,
      • in which no one ever had any intention, desire, or hope of changing anybody else's mind,
      • that don't offer new information,
      • that recycle the same irreconcilables previously posted, and
      • that aren't even minimally entertaining, amusing, or clever to at least a quorum of, say, ten semi-rational, semi-reasonable RF members?
    • OR the non-intelligible and/or minimally intelligible threads of certain RF members whose identities shall remain anonymous in this message?
I think that you should formally present your proposal to staff.
They should double your pay!