• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Type of Theology Do You Believe In?

• Total voters

Ella S.

*temp banned*
If I were to amend this list I probably would include poly-pantheism after agnosticism but before panentheism. Poly-pantheism, or omnitheism, is the belief that each individual and thing itself is a God in its own right. And there are people in this thread who have said that they identify as omnitheistic, however I felt like the current list of eight was sufficient for most people and their variations of theologies. Both pantheism and omnitheism are material-driven theisms, but pantheism identifies the whole as a single God, whereas omnitheists isolate each thing as its own individual God... They are different, and if you consider yourself omnitheistic, such as Cosmos-intérieur, feel free to vote for Other accordingly. I wanted to stay true to the chart I saw and not amend it with countless sub-theologies anyways.

What is the relationship between omnitheism and animism?

Sundance

Premium Member
As a more traditional Stoic, I am a personalistic pantheist and a polytheist.

Firstly, ancient Greeks and Romans had always acknowledged the existence of a plurality of deities, but over time began to recognize a single One as Supreme.

The Universe is, for me, identical with this Supreme Divinity (variously called God, Zeus, Jupiter, Logos, Reason, Nature, World Soul, World Mind, etc.). Additionally, as the Stoics of the ancient world did clearly, I absolutely affirm the existence of those traditional gods, of course as aspects of the Cosmic Divinity. Thus, in my speech and writing, I refer to both ‘God’ as well as ‘The Gods’.

Last edited:

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
What is the relationship between omnitheism and animism?

The way i described omnitheism is probably synonymous with animism.

Edit: didn't realize multiple votes were allowed.

I realized that I needed to change the poll to allow multiple votes as I was making the post, so I changed the official title to "theologies" but I forgot to change the poll title to "theologies" too. I looked into it and there is no way to change the poll title now. That's alright but I do need to remind newcomers to this thread that multiple votes are allowed.

Exaltist Ethan

Types of Theologies Updated

Human-Focused Theologies
Transtheism:
Gods are Irrelevant.
Examples include Nontheism, Ignosticism, Syntheism.
Atheism: Disbelief in Gods.
Examples include Humanism, Objectivism, Positivism.
Agnosticism: Gods are Unknowable.
Examples include Agnostic Theism, Agnostic Atheism, Apatheism.

Material-Focused Theologies
Omnitheism:
Each Being is its Own God.
Examples include Omnism, New Age, Animism.
Pantheism: Nature is God.
Examples include Scientific Pantheism, Spiritual Pantheism, Monist Pantheism.
Panentheism: God is Nature and Beyond It.
Examples include Strong Panentheism, Weak Panentheism, Panendeism.

God-Focused Theologies
Monotheism:
There is One God.
Examples include Christianity, Islam, Judaism.
Henotheism: Many Gods but One Central God.
Examples include Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Hellenism.
Polytheism: There are Many Gods.
Examples include Kemetism, Asatru, Wicca.

I apologize to all the omnitheists who didn't see their option listed. Also, if there are any other theologies I am missing I'll keep updating this list to include more.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Isn't that just ignosticism? Or does it have a new, more acceptable name?
Ignosticism hovers between non-cognitivism and apophatic theology. So, for example, Wikipedia notes:

There are interesting parallels in Indian thought, which developed largely separate from Western thought. Early Indian philosophical works which have apophatic themes include the Principal Upanishads (800 BC to the start of common era) and the Brahma Sutras (from 450 BC and 200 AD). An expression of negative theology is found in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, where Brahman is described as "neti neti" or "neither this, nor that". Further use of apophatic theology is found in the Brahma Sutras, which state:

Whenever we deny something unreal, it is in reference to something real.​

Given the above, ignosticism could be reduced to the presumption: if god, neti neti.

If an ignostic met God the ignostic would say, "How do I define you as God?"
I've had the opportunity to meet Rabbi Wine on a couple of occasions, and I fully suspect that he would have had no expectation of receiving, much less comprehending, an answer. :)

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Pantheism, panentheism, polytheism, and monotheism.

God is an endless, ever increasing puzzle of which we make up the pieces individually. Just in case anyone needed clarity on the both mono and poly agreement.

Pan = all
En = all and ...
Poly=many
Mono=one

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
For all I've felt, for all I think, to summarize things I can't make heads from tails over it all and just don't really know what it all really is.
Like Pantheism and Panentheism, I have leaning towards these, but I don't even really know what the universe is. Even scientifically Nature is often baffling, confusing, and slaps silly the notions and concepts of how we think things work. And, at the end of the day we have only scant shreds to grasp onto what we call Reality. We're so misequipped and underequipped for this endeavor that is had pushed us to develop tools that enable us to go significantly beyond our natural limitations. This is such an integral part of humanity that it has been hypothesized we are cyborgs by birth because our evolution and development has been strongly influenced by the tools we have invented and made us into what we are today.
It is also a possibility if there is a Creator then this Creator has a creator. So it is another impossibility to actually know.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
For all I've felt, for all I think, to summarize things I can't make heads from tails over it all and just don't really know what it all really is.
Like Pantheism and Panentheism, I have leaning towards these, but I don't even really know what the universe is. Even scientifically Nature is often baffling, confusing, and slaps silly the notions and concepts of how we think things work. And, at the end of the day we have only scant shreds to grasp onto what we call Reality. We're so misequipped and underequipped for this endeavor that is had pushed us to develop tools that enable us to go significantly beyond our natural limitations. This is such an integral part of humanity that it has been hypothesized we are cyborgs by birth because our evolution and development has been strongly influenced by the tools we have invented and made us into what we are today.
It is also a possibility if there is a Creator then this Creator has a creator. So it is another impossibility to actually know.

At one time I stood with the God is love crowd, resisted the God is wrath concept for far longer than I should have. By experience alone, I now see both as clearly as the nose on my face when looking in a mirror. God is love God is wrath God is - It's all God. What else could it be if Supreme authority is an accurate way to define the term.

Last edited:
finally I believe in the eternal coexistence of a myriad of beings of which my superficial ego is only a modulation.
he is a subjectivist personalist, here subjectivist does not mean that everything is relative but that the fundamental reality is made of subject "different I am"
it's quite close to the personalist idealism of george holmes howison, john mcctaggart and andrew seth.

I am also a pantheist but in a particular sense.
for me God is not a single isolated being but more a community of being.

Exaltist Ethan

This was a great thread I made which I feel needs to bumped up due to its inclusive poll I made. As new people filter through this website it would be great to get more insight on how people think and understand their view of theology.