• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Type of Theology Do You Believe In?

• Total voters

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
The original source: Spectra of Religion and Magic

45310_original.png

Upon my research for theology spectrums I came across an article detailing eight distinct theologies abroad a wide range of differing viewpoints regarding God. This includes: transtheism, atheism, agnosticism, panentheism, pantheism, monotheism, henotheism and polytheism.

Human-Focused Theologies Include...
Transtheism is the belief that if God or Gods do exist, they are irrelevant to the development of humans.
Atheism is the disbelief in God or Gods.
Agnosticism is the belief that God or Gods are unknowable, at least to a certain degree.

Material-Focused Theologies Include...
Panentheism is the belief that God is greater than the Universe and includes it.
Pantheism is the belief that God is identical to the Universe, or nature.

God-Focused Theologies Include...
Monotheism, where there is only one God. Note: Includes trinitarianism.
Henotheism, where there are many Gods but one central God.
Polytheism, where there are many Gods on similar standing.

Before anyone asks about my beliefs, syntheism, or simply humans creating God/Gods, is a type of transtheism. Ignosticism, which believes theism is an irrelevant subject matter, and nontheism, which acknowledges that theism is not important, also fit that. Of course there are more specific theologies than this, let's say deism. Most deists believe in one God that does not interfere in the lives of people, but nonetheless created the Universe. That is a type of monotheism.

I am not entirely sure I fully agree with this chart, but it is helpful in understanding the spectrum of theological beliefs nonetheless. There may be other theologies that are not included so I have decided on this poll to include an Other option, provided people who are answering Other give an explanation of their theology. As well, I am opening this poll up for multiple answers from the same person, because theology is a complicated subject and it is entirely possible to combine multiple theologies. I am also making votes public and have people able to change their answers whenever they want. This poll will not close.

Personally, I intend on voting this poll with two answers: transtheism and panentheism. My theology includes The Omniverse as Ultimate Nature, which is a type of panentheism, and my transtheistic beliefs that humankind is evolving their extropy to create and control this deity, which will later become the Synverse.

Alright. Let us know how you answer. What type of theisms are you? Let us know how you think about this topic below.

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I believe in many less powerful gods. The kind that may have better wisdom than humans in general, but exist long-distance and on a slightly different plane, and may lack the power to manifest themselves on their own most of the time - if we're not talking some sort of group effort.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The original source: Spectra of Religion and Magic

45310_original.png

Upon my research for theology spectrums I came across an article detailing eight distinct theologies abroad a wide range of differing viewpoints regarding God. This includes: transtheism, atheism, agnosticism, panentheism, pantheism, monotheism, henotheism and polytheism.

Human-Focused Theologies Include...
Transtheism is the belief that if God or Gods do exist, they are irrelevant to the development of humans.
Atheism is the disbelief in God or Gods.
Agnosticism is the belief that God or Gods are unknowable, at least to a certain degree.

Material-Focused Theologies Include...
Panentheism is the belief that God is greater than the Universe and includes it.
Pantheism is the belief that God is identical to the Universe, or nature.

God-Focused Theologies Include...
Monotheism, where there is only one God. Note: Includes trinitarianism.
Henotheism, where there are many Gods but one central God.
Polytheism, where there are many Gods on similar standing.

Before anyone asks about my beliefs, syntheism, or simply humans creating God/Gods, is a type of transtheism. Ignosticism, which believes theism is an irrelevant subject matter, and nontheism, which acknowledges that theism is not important, also fit that. Of course there are more specific theologies than this, let's say deism. Most deists believe in one God that does not interfere in the lives of people, but nonetheless created the Universe. That is a type of monotheism.

I am not entirely sure I fully agree with this chart, but it is helpful in understanding the spectrum of theological beliefs nonetheless. There may be other theologies that are not included so I have decided on this poll to include an Other option, provided people who are answering Other give an explanation of their theology. As well, I am opening this poll up for multiple answers from the same person, because theology is a complicated subject and it is entirely possible to combine multiple theologies. I am also making votes public and have people able to change their answers whenever they want. This poll will not close.

Personally, I intend on voting this poll with two answers: transtheism and panentheism. My theology includes The Omniverse as Ultimate Nature, which is a type of panentheism, and my transtheistic beliefs that humankind is evolving their extropy to create and control this deity, which will later become the Synverse.

Alright. Let us know how you answer. What type of theisms are you? Let us know how you think about this topic below.
Atheism in your poll is not a theology. It's not even a belief.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It is a belief, if one uses a proper epistemology.

And it's a theology, in that one doesn't believe in God, god or gods. (Those being names for something divine or larger.)
No way. It's a default position.

It's simply one without gods.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Isn't that just ignosticism? Or does it have a new, more acceptable name?

All of ignosticism is transtheism, not all transtheism is ignosticism. Transtheists could in theory believe that God exist, but that this God or Gods does not play any role in human affairs. Ignosticism on the other hand is completely oblivious to God entirely. If an ignostic met God the ignostic would say, "How do I define you as God?" If a transtheist met God that transtheist would say, "It doesn't matter."

It's confusing, I'll admit. Transtheism includes ignosticism, nontheism, syntheism and egotheism. Most Satanists would probably consider themselves transtheistic, for example. They look to humanity solving its own problems rather than a deity, and would not even care if there was one. Jains, for example, believe in God, but are transtheistic because they believe God operates on a level which humans cannot access; the Jain God is inaccessible to humans; therefore, they are transtheistic.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing so firm. Humans are barely interested in God at all. We're interested in many other things, and I think we barely perceive God at all. We like to think we understand God or that God will do things for us or that we have enormous importance to God; but this is all really a way of saying that God isn't all that important to ourselves. Its been suggested that if we were able to perceive God clearly that we wouldn't be humans.

Let us presume that there is some intelligence spanning all knowledge. That intelligence would be unreachable by us, would it not? How would we interact with it or even get it interested in us? We couldn't even provoke it.

Not panentheism but something like it.

All of ignosticism is transtheism, not all transtheism is ignosticism. Transtheists could in theory believe that God exist, but that this God or Gods does not play any role in human affairs. Ignosticism on the other hand is completely oblivious to God entirely. If an ignostic met God the ignostic would say, "How do I define you as God?" If a transtheist met God that transtheist would say, "It doesn't matter."

It's confusing, I'll admit. Transtheism includes ignosticism, nontheism, syntheism and egotheism. Most Satanists would probably consider themselves transtheistic, for example. They look to humanity solving its own problems rather than a deity, and would not even care if there was one. Jains, for example, believe in God, but are transtheistic because they believe God operates on a level which humans cannot access; the Jain God is inaccessible to humans; therefore, they are transtheistic.
It is not entirely accurate to say that the Jains believe that men have no access to the divine.
because for the Jains when a man reaches the stage of liberation, they become omniscient.
therefore it is fairer to say that for the Jains nothing is beyond the delivered soul.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Jains, for example, believe in God, ..
Jains do not or should not believe in existence of Gods if they go by the teaching of Mahavira.
It is not entirely accurate to say that the Jains believe that men have no access to the divine.
therefore it is fairer to say that for the Jains nothing is beyond the delivered soul.
The delivered souls do not become 'divine' (unless a Jain misunderstands his own religion).

Viker

Häxan
My theology ranges from polytheism to henotheism, pantheism, autotheism and transtheism. The last two root me in traditional and western Left Hand Path while the first few root me in neo-paganism. It's why I choose to call my religion a form of diabolism/diabolatry and dark paganism...it doesn't fit neatly into conventional Satanism or Luciferianism. It doesn't conflict with them that much either.

Well, my knowledge of Jainism is not perfect, but it seems to me that the liberated jiva obviously becomes omniscient in Jainism.
so that does not make it a god but it is nevertheless a divine attribute.

My theology ranges from polytheism to henotheism, pantheism, autotheism and transtheism. The last two root me in traditional and western Left Hand Path while the first few root me in neo-paganism. It's why I choose to call my religion a form of diabolism/diabolatry and dark paganism...it doesn't fit neatly into conventional Satanism or Luciferianism. It doesn't conflict with them that much either.
Interessting

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, my knowledge of Jainism is not perfect, but it seems to me that the liberated jiva obviously becomes omniscient in Jainism.
so that does not make it a god but it is nevertheless a divine attribute.
That is 'Jnana" (knowledge, understanding) in Sanskrit. If you want to term it as 'divine', it is your wish. :)